100A Altenator Substitutes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Story: My poor old cruiser's altenator gave up last saturday. Might have been the cold ( below 0F ), or that the belt tensioner was too tight (most probable ). The front bearing went out. It made lots of chunking sounds getting back to the house, but the case didn't crack. My Brother-in-law works for an altenator/magneto shop, and said that bearings are easy to replace, but.....later this spring I'm planning on putting an ARB winch bumper/8274 Combo. I figure the 55Amp stock altenator may not be up to the task.

Question: What 100Amp altenators(internaly regulated), would best fit the stock 2F altenator mounts, with as little modification as possible? IF a smaller/larger amp altenator would suit better, which one? I'd like to pick one up from the local yard, so Year/Make/ Model would be helpful.

BTW: This is the best board there is. Love the info here. I've been cruising now for 1-1/2 yrs now, and when I have a ?, I go here first. Thanks Guys......and gals.

'74 FJ-40
4 Wheel disk
2F (From '84 FJ-60 )
Mean Green Starter
SOA

Use a flat piece of stock material with some ears to fit over the stock 2f alternator bracket. Then weld a couple of tabs ontop of the flat stock for the alternator. Make sure you use the pulley off of the 2f alternater on the newer gm stuff (the gm belts are smaller). I'de post a pic of my bracket but... it shows my propane set up that i'm doing a write up on :D

hers a site that may have some info www.alternatorparts.com and if you go chevy go with an 84 camaro alternater, its a 12si unit and cools better, and has better bearings and internals then the old chevy 10si unit and is rated between 94 amps and 105 amps. mine is the 94 amp unit and at 1200 rpm's will put out around 55 amps. mine cost me $77.00 and some change with exchange.

good luck
frank

Hello,
I bought a 1 wire 160amp unit from this guy and when I had troubleshooting issues, he sent me a alternator on his dime. I would highly recommend this e-bay seller without reservation.
Ask him to wire you a 2 wire setup, the 1 wire requires a relatively large electrical load and high rpm to self excite. If you get the 2 wire its easy wire to battery, and wire to ign 12v source(coil ect). All you need is a mount, I did the swap and couldnt be happier, I can now run my lights, wipers, heater, and even the turnsignals without the entire system bogging down at low revs. Here is a link:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/87-9...ewItemQQcategoryZ33573QQitemZ7926066648QQrdZ1er
eric

With an 8274-50 you will need to supply 190 amps to winch a 2000# load, 275 to winch a 4000# load (So sez the Warn website). Better to get a higher amp hour battery (or better a dual battery system) than spend money on a higher amp alt.
A higher amp alt may help with recovery time on the batteries but AFAIK you usually only winch for short periods with a long time between, wich allows even a wimpy 40 Amp toyota alt to catch up.

Stock bracket works fine for my 12si. I had to use a spacer though.

IMG_4640.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom