100 vs. 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So again, what changed? I am not arguing that there wasn't a need for the 105.... just asking why they don't feel there is a "need" any longer? Why are they not worried about "loosing those important customers trading in their old" 105 "series for a new Land Cruiser- only to find it cannot do the job anymore?"

I am not sure on the exact year, but the 70 series had a troop carrier but not a 4 door wagon. I believe the wagon in it's current shape was introduced in 2007. New body style, configured like the 80 with modern power plants. That is what changed. They made a wagon like the 105 and the 80, but in the 70 series stable.

Thanks! That helps me to understand a little better what changed.

Good Lord folks! The 90's have been over for well over a decade! Discussions about why the 80 and why the 105 vs the "crappy" IFS and SF axle new sucky Cruisers...rediculous! OLD TECH IS OLD TECH.

This is 2011 and SFA vehicles are GONE. GONE! GET OVER IT! Cruiser, Patrol, whatever...GONE! IFS and other new technology has proven itself and is the here and now. IRS is almost there as well!

If you insist on a SFA and running the Rubicon, go buy a friggin' Wrangler and you'll spank any modified 80-200 Cruiser on the trail. Otherwise...focus on the merits and improvements in the new gear. A 100 and 200 spank an 80 regarding 99% of all comparison issues. No fault of the 80 other than it's old and outdated tech. If the next series was the 300-series and was a total clone of the 1993 or 1997 80-series they'd sit on the lot for new car lookers. You couldn't give them away in 2011.

Interesting concept.... What were the years of the 105 manufacture?

According to this:

Toyota Data Library

"Then in 2000, along with minor changes and improvements introduced, for theft prevention an engine immobilizer system and other security systems were added to all grades as standard equipment. Though the Land Cruiser 100 continues to evolve on the path of the passenger car, there are still users overseas who drive it offroad. To meet these needs such as in Australia and other rugged environments, Toyota has created an Land Cruiser 105-series with rigid coil springs in the suspension. No matter how much it takes on the aura of luxury, the Land Cruiser is never far from its roots as an offroad vehicle."

If the above link is correct, the 105 wasnt introduced until the 100 had already been out for 2 years...indicating there was a need....If it was only available for a "limited" time... what happened to that need?

The 105 was available from the beginning.
FZJ10# Models EPC.jpg
HZJ105 Models EPC.jpg

The 105 was available from the beginning.

So according to above they were available from 1998-2007... not a very limited time.... which makes Christo's comment below see even more reasonable.

I am not sure on the exact year, but the 70 series had a troop carrier but not a 4 door wagon. I believe the wagon in it's current shape was introduced in 2007. New body style, configured like the 80 with modern power plants. That is what changed. They made a wagon like the 105 and the 80, but in the 70 series stable.

This is 2011 and SFA vehicles are GONE. GONE! GET OVER IT! Cruiser, Patrol, whatever...GONE! IFS and other new technology has proven itself and is the here and now. IRS is almost there as well!

Hmm. G-Wagen still has SFA. NATO made Mercedes continue production up until either this year or 2012, can't remember.

70 Series LC

Land Rover Defender

Mercedes UNIMOG

Nissan Patrol

Jeep Wrangler

70 Series LC

Land Rover Defender

Mercedes UNIMOG

Nissan Patrol

Jeep Wrangler

Is that a list of cool rigs we can't buy in the US? :crybaby:

(except for the Jeep).

To all the debaters - the Mini and buggy guys are laughing at you arguing over whether an over-stuffed walrus or a fat cow is better to take through the Rubicon.

...and yes, the cow is the 100 (IFS...err...IRS, too, I guess) and the walrus is the 80 (slower than the cow, but more rugged and more versitile).

Last edited:
Hmm. G-Wagen still has SFA. NATO made Mercedes continue production up until either this year or 2012, can't remember.

70 Series LC

Land Rover Defender

Mercedes UNIMOG

Nissan Patrol

Jeep Wrangler

Nice try! Tha'ts all that's left? 4 out of 200 SUV's? The Patrol is redesigned and IFS IRS ala QX56.

Jalopnik: Obsessed With The Cult Of Cars

GW is a 30-year old outdated box with 8-inches wheel travel at all four corners. I laugh at them when I see them pumping gas!

70-series is small...not a real SUV

Defender is in redesign now

Wranger is it.

CHEERS!

Nice try! Tha'ts all that's left? 4 out of 200 SUV's? The Patrol is redesigned and IFS IRS ala QX56.

Jalopnik: Obsessed With The Cult Of Cars

Yeah, everyone wants the soccer mom demographic. It's the most profitable. But as of right now, it still has two solid axles.

GW is a 30-year old outdated box with 8-inches wheel travel at all four corners. I laugh at them when I see them pumping gas!

And stock to stock it will still spank you off-road every time. Period. There's a reason it is the choice of serious people worldwide, including the military forces of over 30 countries (today, not 20 years ago) and experts like Tom Sheppard and Scott Brady. And the 463 is still pretty damn luxurious, way more so than a Land Cruiser (but about the same as a Lexus).

70-series is small...not a real SUV

Huh? Whatchoo been smoking Willis? See Beno's pics posted above. It's bigger in some dimensions than a 100.

Defender is in redesign now

[Yawn] Still two solid axles.

Wranger is it.

CHEERS!

To all the debaters - the Mini and buggy guys are laughing at you arguing over whether an over-stuffed walrus or a fat cow is better to take through the Rubicon.

...and yes, the cow is the 100 (IFS...err...IRS, too, I guess) and the walrus is the 80 (slower than the cow, but more rugged and more versitile).

Haha, true. :cheers:

I wonder how many front and rear bumper covers they went through to make that video? :doh:. I like how everything was removed during the impact evaluation testing. Just like a real owner would do. I never got that memo.

...which is why Toyota abandoned the only suspension design that could not pass muster into the new millenium:
Torsion bar ifs.

ROTFLMAO! Hmm, who is that in the photo watching as someone else fixes their busted truck for them on the trail...

Sorry John, just good fun and games! :cheers:

James, your graphics skills are unequaled. I had to download that one. :beer:

Last edited:
ROTFLMAO! Hmm, who is that in the photo watching as someone else fixes their busted truck for them on the trail...

Now THAT is funny! Good job FirstToy!

...which is why Toyota abandoned the only suspension design that could not pass muster into the new millenium:
Torsion bar ifs.

Best post in this whole thread. (copyied and ready to paste for the next time Shotts starts blathering);)

TK

OMG! I missed that. Glad you posted this. LMAO!

This is the multi-quote button. If you want to reply to more than one person, you click it on in each post that you want to quote. After you've clicked on it in all the posts you want to quote, you hit the regular quote button to reply. Then you reply as normal. It keeps your posts clean and keeps you from looking like a post-padding idiot.

Hey Shotts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom