100 vs. 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would take a turbo diesel 100 over a V8 everyday of the week. ;<)

*On trails with big boulders...the 80's steering just can't turn into and up on a huge rock especially when the front is locked up. The hydaulics are weak. The 100 just turns and instantly and effortlessly even when locked up. So the 80's struggle and struggle to make it through. The 100 just goes.

John, I believe you're on your third steering rack already? :whoops:

Hardly ever hear of steering breakage in 80s. I did hear of one instance, but that was fixed with an onboard welder and the person completed the trail.

I would take a turbo diesel 100 over a V8 everyday of the week. ;<)

Absolutely, I agree 100%. Oh wait, I already have one of those (OK, it's not a 100, but a close cousin built in Germany...)!

Ahhh, just stop . . . this is so pointless.

i agree

John, I believe you're on your third steering rack already? :whoops:

Hardly ever hear of steering breakage in 80s. I did hear of one instance, but that was fixed with an onboard welder and the person completed the trail.

Yes...cause the 80's steering is too weak to wear the components. They just won't turn up the rocks and ledges. I'm sure it's NOT good on the 100's system to wheel like that when locked up. Man it sure makes the obstacles easy though. I WILL PAY TO PLAY cause the steering perfomance of the 80 is inadequate. Jeeps turn up the friggin' rocks like the 100 can. Why can't an 80. And hey...you personally keep bringing this up cause it's all ya got.

One last thing on this...you know how many times I've been embarrassed on the trail in my 80's in front of Jeepers and Rovers? You're in a tight place...you can't move cause you can't turn...the tell you to "go" and you can't cause the steering sucks and it won't climb the rock or ledge while turning. You back up, try again...crap! Doesn't happen in the 100.

Another last last thing...you bring up steering...the bits on the 80 are VULNERABLE. The 100's are not. Hell, I was almost stranded after bending rods being hit by rocks under deep water. I couldn't steer until we worked things loose. Barely made it home and with an occassional IT WON'T TURN...JERK JERK JERK the wheel. If I could have the 100's steering on the 80 I'd take it (and replacement racks) in a heartbeat. I was leading the Hummer Club...another embarrassment for the 80-series on the trail...though in most places I blew them away. :)

Last edited:
Yes...cause the 80's steering is too weak to wear the components. They just won't turn up the rocks and ledges. I'm sure it's NOT good on the 100's system to wheel like that when locked up. Man it sure makes the obstacles easy though. I WILL PAY TO PLAY cause the steering perfomance of the 80 is inadequate. Jeeps turn up the friggin' rocks like the 100 can. Why can't an 80. And hey...you personally keep bringing this up cause it's all ya got.

One last thing on this...you know how many times I've been embarrassed on the trail in my 80's in front of Jeepers and Rovers? You're in a tight place...you can't move cause you can't turn...the tell you to "go" and you can't cause the steering sucks and it won't climb the rock or ledge while turning. You back up, try again...crap! Doesn't happen in the 100.

Another last last thing...you bring up steering...the bits on the 80 are VULNERABLE. The 100's are not. Hell, I was almost stranded after bending rods being hit by rocks under deep water. I couldn't steer until we worked things loose. Barely made it home and with an occassional IT WON'T TURN...JERK JERK JERK the wheel. If I could have the 100's steering on the 80 I'd take it (and replacement racks) in a heartbeat. I was leading the Hummer Club...another embarrassment for the 80-series on the trail...though in most places I blew them away. :)

Wow, to be out-wheeled by Hummers I think says more about the driver than the truck...

I personally keep bring up what? Steering? I think if you go back and read my posts on this subject in other threads, steering ain't the half of it. However, I am not interested in bashing on a truck to appease my low self-esteem, unlike some. You'll notice that I rarely say the 100 sucks, just that the 80 is better in some ways. They are not the same thing. And BTW, I also think (and frequently say) that the 100 is better in some ways.

As far as 80 vs. 100, both are fantastic trucks, but each has different strengths. The 100 is the lux-mobile. Great family truck, much safer, higher GVWR, better for towing, and a good wheeler. It does not, however, qualify as a "world" truck that you would take on an extended expedition or use in harsh conditions day in and day out, like a mining outfit in Queensland, or park rangers in Kenya. Too many electronics to fail, too hard to repair on the trail. In fact, some things are impossible to repair, and will leave you stranded (e.g. steering rack, semi-floating axles). If you only wheel within a short hike to a freeway, no problem. If you wheel in the deep desert or remote mountains, this can be a killer (literally, depending on weather and if you went alone or with other trucks).

That's why in places like Australia, Africa, Afghanistan, etc., the only choice for real duty (among Land Cruisers) is the 70/75/78, 80, or 105. All solid axle trucks. All dead reliable and easily maintainable in the field. Even the U.S. military, when it wants an "indigenous" vehicle for use in the Sandbox, chooses 105s. Not 100s.

Your point about bent steering rods actually illustrates my point. Break a steering rack (100), you're done. Didn't Christo actually bust a rack backing down a driveway in the suburbs? Bend a tie rod (80), just pull out the Hi-Lift, bend it back into place, and drive out. Serviceability in the field is a MAJOR concern to many people, and a hands-down advantage to the 80. I think it is important to focus on these types of real-world attributes and not let it always degenerate into a dick-swinging contest based solely on capability.

BTW, I've never had trouble with the 80's steering, even in rocks like these:
PICT0034.jpg
Image-1FF4FA60B23911DA.jpg
P4100098.jpg

...remebering that the youngest 80 is now 13 plus years old.
This is starting to be a factor if you're not planning on doing a lot of repair and maintenance work. If you are, then it's a non-issue.

That's a good question. I'll have to ask my mechanic the next time I see him. He always made it sound like it was a programming thing. I know it was easier to disable the 4-runner's ATRAC, but I really have no idea how he even did that. I just took the rigs in to him in the Fall to put the winters tires on them and disable the ATRAC, then in the Spring to enable the ATRAC and install Summer tires.

TK
pulled fuse and bulb?

:popcorn: This has turned out to be a pretty good read. Although I have not made a concrete decision because I do not know the are I will be living in a year from now this does help a lot. Now about this steering problem with the 80, is there a way to upgrade the steering system? I know jeeps do a lot of steering box swaps, cross over upgrades, and even hydro assist.

There's no steering problem on the 80's. Consider your source carefully.

No play on words here TM.

It is well documented the 80's have great difficulting when turning onto and upon obstacles. In the past even Slee has pointed out that it is due to the lack of hydraulic power. Is it a "problem" or "defect"? No. Is it a under-designed part of the vehicle? Yes...though one of very few.

Nobody can dispute that the steering system on the 100 is far and away more responsive and powerful...and so says Toyota as well. Consider Toyota as your source carefully. :D

No play on words here TM.

It is well documented the 80's have great difficulting when turning onto and upon obstacles. In the past even Slee has pointed out that it is due to the lack of hydraulic power. Is it a "problem" or "defect"? No. Is it a under-designed part of the vehicle? Yes...though one of very few.

Nobody can dispute that the steering system on the 100 is far and away more responsive and powerful...and so says Toyota as well. Consider Toyota as your source carefully. :D

So is there a fix or way to upgrade the short comings of the 80's steering?

Nope...according to the experts. And you really don't need to. Those things run the crap out of trails. BAD ONES! It's just a shortcoming though some on here just can't seem to admit ANY shortcomings when it comes to the 80-series.

It is frustrating though when it happens. I had my 100 first. Then when I got my first 80 I thought something was wrong until the other 80 guys told me that they all have the same problem. It doesn't happen often...when it does though gettgin through the obstacle can be a real pain. Once, when I couldn't turn I had to keep backing up and tyring again and at one point I mangled the rear corner. If the thing just could have turned up the rock it never would have happened.

Here's an example of where I couldn't turn. The Rover guys are going TURN TURN...the steering wheel wouldn't move. Oh, and by the way...my buddy Rod in his Roklimo cloned 100 schooled us all. See way below.

142747623_KY8qM-L.jpg

142747658_q8NGw-L.jpg

208018194_DmVsh-L.jpg

208018816_Vagt8-L.jpg

208018845_qxAU4-L.jpg

208018968_qiriX-L.jpg

Last edited:

You could also say that Toyota engineers, for the most part, know what they're doing, and are a little more educated than most of us, and designed the system properly. Instead of overboosting it and causing breakage, it performs exactly as designed for long-term use and durability.

Hydro-assist is illegal for the street, for very good reason...

Some people just don't want to admit that the 100 has any shortcomings...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom