100 vs. 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another way to look at Toyota's marketing rational would be from a money perspective...after all that's why they do what they do;):

A new 2010 76-Series GXL Wagon is about $60K in AU. If they were to equip it with ABS, smog, etc for the NA market it surely would push the price to near or above $70,000.00.

So how many would ante up seventy large in the USA? And remember even the new 7X Series is a, in relative terms to the 80/100/200-Series, fairly 'rough around the edges', at least for the typical American with the financial resources to buy it, vehicle without all the accoutrements and cush ride "we" Americans want. Hell...there's more than a few of us here that think the power to weight ratio of a normally aspirated 2UZFE 100-Series is lacking... I just don't think we're being really honest about all this!

Using that argument, how many are they going to sell in Aussie-land? We seem to have this perception that every Australian is like Crocodile Dundee - some swashbuckling, kangaroo wrestling, snakeskin hat wearing wildman. In reality, they are a lot like us, just with less rules around vehicle imports. But how many Australians have $60k to pick up a utility wagon and run it around the Outback for 6 months? Or even drive around the suburbs of Sydney taking their kids to pre-school?

Other than corporate volume purchasing for remote work operations, I think the same limited market opportunities exist in most westernized places.

And as for the "# of units" argument, we are not discussing whether or not a company (Toyota) chooses to produce a product versus letting it die as a prototype. Toyota has several production versions of the 70 series in multiple platforms. So much of the cost structure is already in place to produce the product in volume. Toyota already has import operations to the US, plus distributors and dealers across the country. Yes, there would be an incremental cost to add a new vehicle platform to the plan (as previously stated), but again, it's incremental on top of an already large cost structure already assumed.

I think we can blame the US government more than we can blame Toyota. Rules and regulations around crash test safety, MPG standards, and hybrid/green technology coupled with the acceptance of a "throw away every 3 years" mentality rampant in our country have got car makers (except those in Korea and China) strapped by the balls.

I think we can blame the US government more than we can blame Toyota. Rules and regulations around crash test safety, MPG standards, and hybrid/green technology coupled with the acceptance of a "throw away every 3 years" mentality rampant in our country have got car makers (except those in Korea and China) strapped by the balls.

We should not forget this as well that exacerbates the situation.

There seems to be a much different mindset in Australia regarding many higher dollar purchases. They seem to place greater value upon longer duration ownership and hence demand longer longevity/lifespans from what they purchase compared to Americans.

They have no less than 30-different manufacturers of off-road worthy camping trailers. Some of these cost to or above $80,000.00; and they don't seem to have any trouble selling them to Aussies.

Whereas "we" Americans tend to like to buy many toys but not so well built. Case in point: The numerous RV camper trailers designed and made here (for the most part ;)) that literally fall apart after a couple sessions of pull down Death Valley washboard. And I suspect our real estate here is significantly more developed, with respect to wild land, overall than AU; no facts to back that up...just subjective based upon what little I know. Therefore their off-road gear, to survive more than a year or two, needs to be built better/more durable.

Granted there is much at play regarding what gets marketed here by Toyota. But at the end of the day I'll stand by if they don't believe there is a profitable market for it they're not going to make the investment. IMO the price point of the FJC is a significant reason they sold so many in the USA; but that's less than 1/2 of the price of a 76-Series wagon.

Since we're talking about all different models: here's some more eye candy taken in SA last summer.

The 76 is smaller than the 100, but would love to have one...
Kristy 499.jpg
Kristy 500.jpg
Kristy 502.jpg

Since we're talking about all different models: here's some more eye candy taken in SA last summer.

The 76 is smaller than the 100, but would love to have one...

Yup. It's a perfectly sized vehicle in my opinion.

Of course the Middle East versions get the cool graphics...why is it that the ME market gets these side graphics?

:hmm:

[pics taken at the factory last year.]
SANY0124.jpg
SANY0136.jpg

And don't tell me about the 3 axle breakages with factory lockers around the globe out of 5,000,000 various adventures each year. You don't build a vehicle based on three breaks out of 5,000,000 trips.

There are a lot more than that for 80s. I personally saw 3 in less than a month in 07. But I'm not saying it is common enough to worry about until you go over 35" tires.

Cry once.

I am not sure why the US buying/driving public settles for inferior vehicles/products. This would be quite a study to understand where that mindset came from.

Or is it the opposite, do we put to much emphasis on reliability and durability?

Shouldn't I just follow the heard (clone up) and get a NEW Tahoe or Suburban every 3 years? What is all this nonsense about a 75k Toyota Land Cruiser?

Cry once.

I am not sure why the US buying/driving public settles for inferior vehicles/products. This would be quite a study to understand where that mindset came from.

Or is it the opposite, do we put to much emphasis on reliability and durability?

Shouldn't I just follow the heard (clone up) and get a NEW Tahoe or Suburban every 3 years? What is all this nonsense about a 75k Toyota Land Cruiser?

The difference between people on this board and everyone else, is unlike the vast majority of Americans, we are NOT COMPLETELY clueless when it comes to cars.

I am continuously amazed at how utterly retarded people can be when it comes to cars. People on MUD know about cars, how they are built, what they are built for and generally how to take good care of them. The vast majority of people just dont give a S***, so they treat their cars as expendable, and as such the manufacturers (particularly the big 3), have been giving them just that. Its gotten to the point that even the germans are starting to go down this path as well. The Japanese are the only ones, IMO, that as a whole make cars that are designed and built to last.

Very well said.

A vehicle is the #2 expenditure behind housing.

People will go to the ends of the earth/reserach to death to get a deal on something and then drive a POS vehicle that cost them TIME and MONEY. Time being the more valuable of the two.

I know immediately when talking to these folks, they always start with, "The Land Crusher must get terrible mileage." At that point I know they are clueless.

The Japanese are the only ones, IMO, that as a whole make cars that are designed and built to last.

I agree to a certain point. Honda certainly has gone downhill a bit. My neighbor traded his 07 Honda Accord after being fed up with little problems popping up every month. Civic's are now overbloated pigs with POS suspension set up. And don't get me started on the CRZ.

Toyota isn't too exciting right now, either, as they've done away with all of their sports cars. We're left with boring Corollas and Camrys. IMO, only thing they've got going is their truck line.

There are a lot more than that for 80s. I personally saw 3 in less than a month in 07. But I'm not saying it is common enough to worry about until you go over 35" tires.

This was tounge n cheek comment based on a previous thread comment. It's as ludicrous as the statement before it. :D

I agree to a certain point. Honda certainly has gone downhill a bit. My neighbor traded his 07 Honda Accord after being fed up with little problems popping up every month. Civic's are now overbloated pigs with POS suspension set up. And don't get me started on the CRZ.

Toyota isn't too exciting right now, either, as they've done away with all of their sports cars. We're left with boring Corollas and Camrys. IMO, only thing they've got going is their truck line.

I agree with you as well, I said that about the japanese makers relative to the american and german manufacturers. I was not trying to say that they are by any means perfect, just better relatively speaking.

This was tounge n cheek comment based on a previous thread comment. It's as ludicrous as the statement before it. :D

So Buck, are you getting the wife a 100 now? What are you doing in these parts, anyway.. :grinpimp: :beer:

Tim,

I've been thinking about replacing my 80 with a 100 or doing an engine swap. Don't get me wrong, I would hate to let her go but, livng in Houston equates to long road trips to get some great places. The old girl runs well at 236k on the clock, but the day is coming sooner rather than later as I DD her.

Buck

I too have debated on going up to a 100, but after time and time again I just can't let the old girl go. Plus I'm pretty sure the wife would beat me senseless, she just loves driving the 80 around on 37's and having everyone stare at her. So at over 180k I think when the HG goes or some other catastrophic issue with the powertrain, it will be time for a 100 powertrain in my 80.

Jeremy

Both are such endearing and reliable vehicles that they do indeed become part of the family. I'd have a hard time letting go of a good 80 or 100.

Why part? Just buy the hundy and park it next to the 80. :grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom