100 vs 80 Run...how do they really compare? Great pics and videos: (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It was a FUN Saturday! I'm posting it for you Cruiser newbies to check out because the pics and videos are so great. It should give you a good idea about the capabilities of both vehicles.

Actually, Walt's 80 had the advantage. It was 4.5" lifted whereas mine is 2.75-3". Otherwise, the trucks were the same (ARB and Slee bumpers, etc).

The videos are BEST. You'll need to hit my site to view them. Meanwhile, here's some teaser pics.

John Shotts (shottscruisers) : photos : Chiva Falls (80 vs 100 run with Walt) 4/08- powered by SmugMug

282412567_TBpP6-XL.jpg

282412760_2uSqP-XL.jpg

282414809_M2jGy-XL.jpg

282417702_xJSTE-XL.jpg

282427247_Dvh99-XL.jpg

282428886_pQ4jW-XL.jpg

nice pics, I went to your link and noticed the gearing comments, very interesting... on that note - I have a 2003 with the 5 sp tranny, does anyone know the difference in gear ratio's with the 5 spd vs 4 spd and the impact on going with 33's? 35's? with a 5 spd?

Here we go again. John if you like the 80 so much, just wheel an 80.

I see no sense in this 100 vs 80 stuff. The video clearly shows the 80s tires slipping in two videos where your 100 didn't slip at all. Ok, so the 80 has a little more articulation. To me that's not that big of a deal. If you have lockers, 1 tire, 2 tires, 3 tires, or all 4 tires will pull you through. Traction control, will pull you through. Enough already John, this stuff has been beat to death over and over.

I have a 2003 with the 5 sp tranny, does anyone know the difference in gear ratio's with the 5 spd vs 4 spd and the impact on going with 33's? 35's? with a 5 spd?

If you go with 33's, you can stay with stock gearing. If you go with 35s like I am, you have to upgrade to 4.88 to keep the performance. John didn't change his gearing, but he would be better off if he did and his Cruiser would thank him too.

The 1st gear on the 5 speed is lower than the 4 speed. As well, you have 5 speeds, so that's a plus all around.

To the negativo's.....don't ruin a new thread that could provide THE NEWBIES valuable information. If you are tired of it DON'T CLICK ON IT!

These videos may also prove informative for current 100 owners who want to try the harder stuff. If they see the 100 CAN do it, they might expand their wheeling opportunities.

So please cut the attacks and let the folks WHO ARE INTERESTED click the links. Thanks.

nice pics, I went to your link and noticed the gearing comments, very interesting... on that note - I have a 2003 with the 5 sp tranny, does anyone know the difference in gear ratio's with the 5 spd vs 4 spd and the impact on going with 33's? 35's? with a 5 spd?

I WAS SHOCKED when Walt's 80 popped 2 truck lengths ahead AND QUICKLY. I've raced around before with a Supercharged 80 and 4.88 and won. Those races were at higher altitude......??? Walt cleary had me off the line.

Here we go again. John if you like the 80 so much, just wheel an 80.

I see no sense in this 100 vs 80 stuff. The video clearly shows the 80s tires slipping in two videos where your 100 didn't slip at all. Ok, so the 80 has a little more articulation. To me that's not that big of a deal. If you have lockers, 1 tire, 2 tires, 3 tires, or all 4 tires will pull you through. Traction control, will pull you through. Enough already John, this stuff has been beat to death over and over.

Actually I think this is one of Shott's better threads. :eek:

He shows both, in the same environment lets people decide what is going on. The 100 has some adavantages in some spots, the 80 in others.

Is there differences? of course...tires, lift height, drivers, etc...but those are pretty minimal (exception being driver, but in this case seems fair)

It gives someone on the fence maybe an idea of aftermarket mods, performance and backs it up with evidence. he didn't bias it to my quick look anyways...

Of course the lockers will slip and the A-trac probably won't. A-trac is designed to STOP WHEEL SLIPPAGE :idea: Lockers just provide straight power to both wheels regardless on whether the get traction or not.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but good thread :beer::flipoff2:

hopefully it stays sorta on track...maybe...possibly...sorta...

Those videos prove the 100 did it better in my opinion John - no tires spinning. It's the whole 80/100 thing over and over. I'm a rabid defender of the 100 and IFS, as I am sure you know by now.

The 100 has traction control, the 80 doesn't.

The 100 has a lower 1st gear than the 80.

The 100 can be fitted with ARBs front and rear, and has CDL. The ARB mod in the front diff corrects the stock gear problem in that (front diff) area.

The 100 CVs are larger than the birfields on the 80.

The 100 has 9 cross members in the frame vs 6 in the 80, and is stronger.

and on and on...... I have no doubt in my mind that my 100 is an excellent off road vehicle. I know the 80 has a bit more flex, but that doesn't bother me. I enjoy the ride that IFS gives me on and off the trail.

Lots of reasons to pick a 100 over an 80. I don't see the 80 as superior because of one item.

Ok, now I am off this thread before it becomes another battle in the trenches 80/100 thread.

Cool pics and videos John. Just don't like the implications of the title of the thread.

Actually I think this is one of Shott's better threads. :eek:

He shows both, in the same environment lets people decide what is going on. The 100 has some adavantages in some spots, the 80 in others.

Is there differences? of course...tires, lift height, drivers, etc...but those are pretty minimal (exception being driver, but in this case seems fair)

It gives someone on the fence maybe an idea of aftermarket mods, performance and backs it up with evidence. he didn't bias it to my quick look anyways...

Of course the lockers will slip and the A-trac probably won't. A-trac is designed to STOP WHEEL SLIPPAGE :idea: Lockers just provide straight power to both wheels regardless on whether the get traction or not.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but good thread :beer::flipoff2:

hopefully it stays sorta on track...maybe...possibly...sorta...

Thanks Ben. Actually, I had the thought to shoot the trip for this purpose because Walt's my 100 are so closely equipped. Lockers, everything. He has a heavy roof rack, I have a heavier truck. We've driven a lot of trails together too so driver-wise we're comparable. It was a really fun day out there.

The 100 has traction control, the 80 doesn't.

The 100 has a lower 1st gear than the 80.

The 100 can be fitted with ARBs front and rear, and has CDL. The ARB mod in the front diff corrects the stock gear problem in that (front diff) area.

The 100 has 9 cross members in the frame vs 6 in the 80, and is stronger.

and on and on...... I have no doubt in my mind that my 100 is an excellent off road vehicle. I know the 80 has a bit more flex, but that doesn't bother me. I enjoy the ride that IFS gives me on and off the trail.

Not the purpose of this thread. Instead of yelling all that tech stuff back and forth about which is best, videos show the newbies just how the two compare. No doubt Walt's truck has me due to added articulation. Walt almost bought a 2005 100 and passed last minute. This was a great test for him to see how close the two series are on the trails WE do. I think many will find my site helpful regardless of how downhill this thread goes.

Let the mud dry, and run over some rail road tracks... also the little grooves on the side of the road to wake you up if you fall asleep at the wheel.. run over those for a few hundred yards. Gets a lot of mud to shake off :D

Those videos prove the 100 did it better in my opinion John - no tires spinning. It's the whole 80/100 thing over and over. I'm a rabid defender of the 100 and IFS, as I am sure you know by now.

The 100 has traction control, the 80 doesn't. No arguing here...wasn't around until 2000...

The 100 has a lower 1st gear than the 80. how much lower? and doesn't this come in 2000 and later? we are talking minor percentage

The 100 can be fitted with ARBs front and rear, and has CDL. The ARB mod in the front diff corrects the stock gear problem in that (front diff) area. CAN BE...a lot of things CAN BE fixed on other vehicles as well, not sure why you put this up here

The 100 CVs are larger than the birfields on the 80. And how many 80 series with broken birfs compared to 100 series? by the way, not the same usage at all IFS/solid axle seutp

The 100 has 9 cross members in the frame vs 6 in the 80, and is stronger. any real data on this or speculation? you would assume that it's stronger due to more crossmembers

Lots of reasons to pick a 100 over an 80. I don't see the 80 as superior because of one item.

Ok, now I am off this thread before it becomes another battle in the trenches 80/100 thread.

Cool pics and videos John. Just don't like the implications of the title of the thread.

I didn't take this as a THis is better thread at all, but your post is inferring that and has the 100 series elitism that usually someone else does :D I love how it always comes down to the only thing the 80 does better is flex a little bit more :rolleyes:

anyways, again, I think it's a good thread to show what is possible when you modify both rigs and you are on the fence about which to get. It SHOULDN"T be turned into (you started the whole THIS IS BETTER BECAUSE and then complained about it turning into that type of thread...) a which is better...I didn't get that at all from shotts :eek: which was refreshing and welcomed :D

And how many 80 series with broken birfs compared to 100 series? by the way, not the same usage at all IFS/solid axle seutp

After you do the front differential upgrade, there are very few CV breakages in comparison to birfields. This has been talked about quite often on this site and no need to go on again about it.

Axles aren't the same useage? Let's see... axles with CVs verses axles with birfields. Both drive the front wheels, or am I missing something here? The birfields are weaker.

Thanks for sharing the pics and vids Shotts, I'm such the newb and any and everything can help in the learning process. BTW that "Fantastic Articulation" vid is sic!

Loud, I hear ya there about the mud, and it sucks cleaning the s**t off! That's about all I see here in N. IL. that or gravel. I still have yet to check out the Cliffs.

The 100 can be fitted with ARBs front and rear, and has CDL. The ARB mod in the front diff corrects the stock gear problem in that (front diff) area. CAN BE...a lot of things CAN BE fixed on other vehicles as well, not sure why you put this up here

Reason -

A lot of 80 owners on MUD like to say how weak the front diff is on the 100. Well, put a V6 gear set up in the front of an 80 and see how long it lasts.

When the front differential is modified with an ARB air locker, solid pinion spacers etc, the breakage goes away. This set up is way stronger than anything else that could be put in there. Problem solved, no argument over that.

The 100 has 9 cross members in the frame vs 6 in the 80, and is stronger. any real data on this or speculation? you would assume that it's stronger due to more crossmembers

You gotta be kidding right? A beefier frame, considering the 100 is a heavier vehicle, and 3 more cross members and you assume it's what?? Not rocket science Ben...

Nice write up/pics/videos shotts....The 100 is definitely on my wish list.

Last edited:
I didn't take this as a THis is better thread at all, but your post is inferring that and has the 100 series elitism that usually someone else does I love how it always comes down to the only thing the 80 does better is flex a little bit more

I didn't think this stuff needed to be brought up in the first place. All it does is cause strife between LC owners.

I am not an elitest. Before I bought the 100 I had a solid look at both vehicles. It always comes down to the only thing the 80 does is flex a bit more because it's true.

I like the info you provided, good for us newbs - remember, it isn't just the people that have been on this site for some time that read these. :popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom