100 SF axle conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

semlin

curmudgeon
Threads
Not that I own one or anything :D

Noticing the latest post about the 80 being the last great offroad vehicle got me wondering how hard it would be to swap a solid front axle over into a 100 series. Has anyone heard of anyone doing it, or seen a write up? Is it feasible? Can you use an 80 axle or source the axle used for the 105 somewhere overseas cheap? The price of 100s is coming down low enough that it seems to me it's just a matter of time before someone does this. I'm betting it is cheaper than putting the 8 cyl into an 80.

Should not be difficult to swap an 80 axle and suspension under the front... the driveshaft is on the proper side, a little work would be required to change from the rack and pinion steering to the steering box (look at the Tacoma SAS for info on that).

Screw the V8 :flipoff2:... the 1FZ would produce some serious power if worked over. It has everything required... 7 main bearings, good over square design, nice 4 valve head, beautiful intake manifold, oil cooled pistons...

[quote author=bjowett link=board=2;threadid=10624;start=msg95344#msg95344 date=1075075382]

Screw the V8 :flipoff2:... the 1FZ would produce some serious power if worked over. It has everything required... 7 main bearings, good over square design, nice 4 valve head, beautiful intake manifold, oil cooled pistons...
[/quote]

I don't actually want to put the 8 into my 80, but I'm interested in your non-blower performance mods for my 1fz.. Talk is cheap Brian :flipoff2: :flipoff:

[quote author=semlin link=board=2;threadid=10624;start=msg95350#msg95350 date=1075075816]
I don't actually want to put the 8 into my 80, but I'm interested in your non-blower performance mods for my 1fz.. Talk is cheap Brian :flipoff2: :flipoff:
[/quote]

A couple of normally aspirated engines I've done... both mild, very driveable, nice flat torque curves. Mass production engines have plenty of short comings - though they are getting better.

1st complete engine built at age 21. 1.8L SOHC 83 VW GTI. complete bottom end R&R, 90 HP stock. port and polish, cam, big t-body, dual outlet manifold w/ exhaust and downpipe. Est 110+ when done. wetted my appetite.

One of the best... the bottom end was done by a great engine builder. 93 VW 2.8L VR6 DOHC 178 stock hp. Port & polish head, cams, over bore block with JE pistons to 3.0L, compression raised to 11 - 1, cams, lots of other little things. Estimated 220+ hp... similar configurations dyno in that area.

We'll be building and talking! :cheers:

I saw an article on the internet about using an early 80's minitruck solid axle on a 100. Many modifications but it was done successfully.

100 SF axle conversion - now performance mods

I test drove a 1FZFE several years ago that Cameron Concepts had done a port and polish on I believe the intake only. It seemed to have some increase in performance but nothing near what the supercharger offered. The biggest turn off was the $4,000 they were charging at the time. If one was a bit handy and could do this themselves then it would be a great thing to do combined with a head gasket replacement. The one I drove was done with the head in place and looked like a royal pain to do hanging over the engine bay

is there now solid axel 100's offered anywhere else in the world?--I'm guessing middle eastern countries would have them or any place where the roads are not as forgiving as ours in North AMerica

is there now solid axel 100's offered anywhere else in the world?--I'm guessing middle eastern countries would have them or any place where the roads are not as forgiving as ours in North AMerica
The 105 Series is only availible in Australia and South Africa.

[quote author=Jonathan_Ferguson link=board=2;threadid=10624;start=msg95892#msg95892 date=1075200285]
[/quote]

The 105 can be ordered from http://www.toyota-gib.com/ and shipped anywhere in the world. Registration not included :'(

[quote author=Jonathan_Ferguson link=board=2;threadid=10624;start=msg95892#msg95892 date=1075200285]
[/quote]

All countries in Africa, and probably south America as well.

toyota-gib only sells to non-profit organizations, no private deals with them :(

[quote author=denis link=board=2;threadid=10624;start=msg95984#msg95984 date=1075224509]
All countries in Africa, and probably south America as well.

toyota-gib only sells to non-profit organizations, no private deals with them :(
[/quote]

Did they tell you that they'll only sell to non-profit organizations? (yeah, I know it says on the website that they sell to non-profit orgs, but it doesn't say they won't sell to individuals). I suppose if you had a search and rescue organization, you might be able to import some. Of course, you'll have to have airbags and stuff like that installed to make it street legal.

I did also notice that the HZJ105 has an optional turbo kit (low boost, so no intercooler), so you can make your HZJ105 a sort-of HDJ105. It's probably identical to those aftermarket kits sold in Japan that use the factory Toyota turbo unit ("toyota" is cast on the turbo), only sold through Toyota directly. Otherwise, how difficult would it be to convert a right-hand drive Oz market 105 to left-hand drive? I guess if you had steering parts from a left-hand drive 80, it wouldn't be that bad...

29Jan2004 (UTC +8)

TD, that's a front live axle for an HZJ-105! Note the 5-bolt pattern for the wheel. Where'd you get it from, and what is it going to? BTW, the HZJ-100 has about the same chassis as the 80-series.

[quote author=drexx link=board=2;threadid=10624;start=msg96323#msg96323 date=1075307449]
29Jan2004 (UTC +8)

TD, that's a front live axle for an HZJ-105! Note the 5-bolt pattern for the wheel. Where'd you get it from, and what is it going to? BTW, the HZJ-100 has about the same chassis as the 80-series.
[/quote]

Drexx, That's axle is from an Aussie dismantler where Beanz2 bought his 1HZ engine. Last week the wife said no again when I asked for my 80 (I got 4 vehicles under my hands) , so I thought about getting a pair front/rear 105 axles and 5 105 alloy rims into the states, I estimate the parts cost is around 3K-4K, then bring it to Luke at 4x4labs.com for the conversions (which wouldl include a new PS system) , labor cost is around 7K-8K(my estimate), so total would be around 11-12K. I would be better off buying a 80 but....

/td

Wouldn't it be easier to put the front/rear axle from a 80-series under a 100-series instead of importing the 105 axles? My understanding was the 105 and 80 share a very similar frame.

[quote author=98LXand99LC link=board=2;threadid=10624;start=msg96356#msg96356 date=1075311695]
For God's sake, please someone tell me what is so blasphemous about an IFS? [/quote]

The reason for the 100 SFA conversion is to be more like an 80-series :D

I know a Tundra is not a 100 series (more of a Sequoia) but this 2001 Toyota Tundra live axle swap shows that it has been done on recent IFS systems. This probably won’t help answer anyone question, but at least I got another post out of it. :D
http://www.marlincrawler.com/trundradual.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom