100 Series Wrench Set (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.greasyhands.co
Wanted to tap into the collective think tank here with a question:

What are the common nut/bolt sizes on our LC/LX trucks? mm obviously.

I have an opportunity to buy some Craftsman open end, closed end ratchet, sockets, socket driver, etc and wanted to take the opportunity to assemble a sort of "100 Series Wrench Set" if you will.

I got to thinking about this after borrowing a 10mm wrench from my brother to bleed my AHC.

Thanks in advance guys,

I replaced my craftsman set with Tekton so far I love it. It is all metric set, has both deep and regular sockets so I have two for every size. The box is small enough and I can easily carry the set. The customer service is superb as well.

Amazon product ASIN B07TGPPP3C

i use a 3/8 ratchet and a mm set from 10 to 17. really only use 10 12 14 and 17. need a couple extensions of various sizes. to compliment these i have ratcheting reversible wrenches in the same sizes.
then i have a 1/2" ratchet with sizes up to 27mm. specifically 10 12 14 17 19 21 22 25 and 27. that covers 97% of everything i need to do.

besides these i use a 1/2" breaker bar. a set of vise grips. some long reach angled needle nose pliers. a magnetic retrieval tool and claw retrieval tool. Phillips and standard screwdriver. a torx bit that fits the door lock assembly. iirc a 10mm Allen headed socket that fits the diff fill plug on my tacoma.

if you ever do shocks it's nice to have a 19mm and 22mm ratcheting wrench.

also a wobble or ujoint in 3/8 and 1/2"

Last edited:
Pretty much can handle all major work throughout the truck with everything from 10-19mm. Most common that I have found at 10mm, 12mm and 17mm.

Well if you're talking about a trail kit, the usual 10, 12, 14, 17, 19mm wrenches. Unless you have aftermarket goodies added on, then it turns into adding a 13 & 15mm to the mix. I always try to carry two each of the 10, 12, 14's for those rare occasions you might need to pull a stud out.
I'd throw in an 8mm just for cheap insurance if you touch the dash for small repairs.
A 8/10mm combo tubing wrench for brake bleeding is a great one to have "in case" also.
If you are talking about wrenches to have for garage repair, a 7/8 ratcheting (22mm) for that top nut on the rear shocks is a must if you ever plan on changing those shocks out.

Then to build the carry along kit, add the same sizes in sockets (shallow & deep) in 3/8 drive along with a 1", 3", & 6" extension.

Craftsman used to be the go to brand for garage tool, but the last few years have not been good for their quality. Hunt the garage sales or Craigslist for older Craftsman stuff and you'll be fine. Or look for SK tools or Proto tools at auto parts stores on sale if you want to keep the budget down.
Mac & Snap-On sets pop up on Craigslist once in a while, the cheap ones are usually hot, while the retiring mechanics or widows selling them know what they are worth.

Good luck.

this is actually timely since i need a suggestion for a new 1/2" ratchet. my 3/8" craftsman from 20 years ago is still perfect but my 1/2" is just the cheap AutoZone duralast. i really like the reversible ratchet wrenches from them though.

this is actually timely since i need a suggestion for a new 1/2" ratchet. my 3/8" craftsman from 20 years ago is still perfect but my 1/2" is just the cheap AutoZone duralast. i really like the reversible ratchet wrenches from them though.

Yes I am looking at the "dual ratcheting" wrenches in the common sizes

You should've had 8/10mm and 12/14mm combination wrenches in the "spare tire" tool kit :)

When doing a similar exercise, putting together a tool kit for my kid, for going off to college...
A standard set of 8-19mm will cover most items. 10mm, 12mm, & 14mm seem most frequently used.​
We've found a few larger sizes 22mm (OEM shocks), 24mm (our aftermarket shocks), 30mm (torsion bars) & 54mm? (hub) useful.​
A (larger) Torx socket set has also been useful (roof rack, steering wheel air bag, etc).​

There are a bunch of 23mm bolts (control arms IIRC and wheel nuts). It's mostly 17 & 19 for the bigger ones and 10 & 12 for the smaller ones. A few 14s here and there for fun.
Very few annoying hex (Allen) (front diff fill plug).

Get under your rig and start putting wrenches on common parts and things that you can actually repair on the trail if needed.

Just in case you don't want to have to readjust your suspension when your AHC pressures are PERFECT by adding weight of "too many" tools on the trail ....

The one, the only Gator Grip

;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom