100 series tire size change...benefits? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The 100's look better with beefy tires on, running boards and muds flaps off. But does that open up rocker panels to chips and rust issues?

fwiw, my configuration is like a rock chip magnet. With the wider tires, no running boards, and trimmed mud flaps, things are def louder on gravel roads than they were. The bedliner prevents the chips and I doubt there's an increase in rust though.

33's are the perfect size for this rig. Very little, if any, compromise. Though I'd argue that one shouldn't go narrower than the stock 275 width. Sure, narrower may be better off road for straight line traction, but it most definitely will also trade cornering traction everywhere.

I love my 305/60's NTG's that are almost 33's. I've thrown the full gauntlet of use cases at it, and have yet to ever feel compromised by them. Off road, back mountain roads, towing 6k, whatever. Sure it's no 911, but some of you might be surprised that the Hundy can actually corner very well for it's size, especially with the help of AHC and sizable meats. And it does it all with style.

I have 265/70 16s, I am not impressed with the on road cornering, but snow traction is good. Looking forward to large tires.

Don't forget...bigger tires=less miles show up on your odometer too 🆒

At 285 75 16s your odometer is really only off about 5%.... its not that much. So over 100,000 miles you actually went 105,000.......

Looking to up upgrade tires from two year old stock Michelin Defender LTX 275/70/16s(which have been great tires through overland death valley, anza borrego and baja without a flat but recently noticed damage to one of the front tire treads to warrant an upgrade to BFG K02 ahead of an upcoming baja trip). When I put in 285/75/16 both the tire calculators at discount tire and costco say they don't fit. I have a stock 1998 LC series 100. From the above discussion it does't look to be a problem. Am I missing something on why these would not fit my LC?
Also purchased yellow box speedo recal in anticipation of the upsize, but not yet installed.

I just put 295/75/16 ko2s on this week and love them. Spare fit under with oem hitch. No rubbing. Costco would not put them on for me but were the best price. Took their quote to discount and they matched price. They asked me if I knew rubbing might be a problem and I said it would fit. They put them on no problem.

20191022_151124.jpg

Thanks there is another tread that talks about potential rubbing on overlanding with the 295s without a lift but appreciate the tip on discount putting them on. Costco has great prices but visiting their tire shops even with an appointment is often painful(was just at Costco tire for my son’s car).

Thanks there is another tread that talks about potential rubbing on overlanding with the 295s without a lift but appreciate the tip on discount putting them on. Costco has great prices but visiting their tire shops even with an appointment is often painful(was just at Costco tire for my son’s car).
Yea Discount was way more accommodating.

Will 285/75/18s fit my stock 2006 land cruiser? As I'm doing more research, I'm learning that I may need to get a slight lift before these will fit... any suggestions on what to do, or where to begin my search?

Will 285/75/18s fit my stock 2006 land cruiser? As I'm doing more research, I'm learning that I may need to get a slight lift before these will fit... any suggestions on what to do, or where to begin my search?
[/Q
I'm seeing a lot of 16" wheels for the size tire I'm looking for. I guess I ordered too large. What sort of lift does anyone recommend, to fit the tires that I've ordered 185/75/18. :/

Lots of discussion over the years on this subject. See some of the links below. A 285/65/18 will fit your LC without a lift. 285/75/18 is close to a 35 inch tire and will need a lift.
Max Tire Size/ No Lift

tire sizes

Tires

Yet another tire thread

https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series...ivilant-my-stock-100-without-any-rubbing.html

Biggest tire size on 100 series

Biggest Tire For Stock Wheel

Help me get new shoes for my LX470

Can you cancel the order? If you meant 285/75/18 then you're talking 35" tires and fitting them will not be easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom