100 series timing belt replacement. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i am replacing the timing belt, water pump , pulleys, ect on my 01. Everything was going well and i was following OTRAMM how to video. putting the belt back on the lower cam was still 50 degrees from tdc (aligned w the pulley) my driver side cam had not moved but passenger side cam had jumped a bit- no big deal. Put the belt on and used my pin wrench to adjust pasenger side cam. belt was on and all my my mark were perfect. well the OTRAMM video says to slightly torque the cam back just to make sure it had tension, which i did - very lightly but the passenger cam bounced back under the belt. Long story short it seemes as though everything moved. the lower cam is just past 50 degrees. the driver cam moved clockwise (seemingly along with the lower cam) and the passenger cam jumped back (counter clockwise) to the spot it was at when i removed the belt.
I can't figure out what to do. Putting the belt on based on the lower cam? I don't know where the upper cams should be... The forums and faq's don't seem to cover this...

As long you haven't rotated the crankshaft or the cams (they just moved a bit under valve spring pressure) no big deal.

The reason for moving everything about 50° is simply to place the cams in the most 'neutral' position possible (with respect to valve spring pressure) so that they DON'T move, like they did on you.

All you need to do at this juncture is make sure ALL of your 'Match Marks) on the belt, line up at the crank gear:

TB line up 1.JPG

And for each Cam Pulley (left and right). You might need to move one pulley back or forward a tooth or two to get them to line up with the marks (arrows) on the belt. Once that is done, double check everything. Install the tensioner, check once again that is everything is lined up then, rotate the engine two revolutions for the final check.

Tbelt1.jpg

thank you. the reason for my concern is that the center cam/crank did move and is now just past 50 degrees (it lines up with the outer edge of the pulley and not the center). So I should simply line the timing marks on the left and right cam with the belt, add the tensioner, do 2 rotations and check everything again?

thank you. the reason for my concern is that the center cam/crank did move and is now just past 50 degrees (it lines up with the outer edge of the pulley and not the center). So I should simply line the timing marks on the left and right cam with the belt, add the tensioner, do 2 rotations and check everything again?

Yes, just line up all the match marks on the belt with their corresponding positions on the crankshaft gear and each camshaft pulley. Add tensioner. Make sure nothing is off a tooth/notch BEFORE rotating engine. IF all looks good rotate engine and if all has been done correctly when the crank comes around to 0° the two camshaft pulleys will be aligned as in the photo above.

****The FSM and all the little 'tricks' folks have to move the belt this way or that way to get it over the lip of the one cam pulley and make sure everything is 'tight' etc.....all serves to be confusing to the first time DIYer.

Ultimately all you have to do is start with the crank pulley at TDC (no. 1 cyl on the compression stroke) then do whatever is necessary to line up the match marks. The Match Marks are the only thing that matters. ****

It doesn't matter if anything (cam pulleys) move a bit, just move them wherever they need to go to line up with the match marks. Start at the crank sprocket and get it right first. Then the Drivers Side Cam Pulley, get it lined up with the belt mark, last the Passenger Side Pulley. Check everything, install tensioner. Post pics so we can double check you. Then rotate engine.

So one last note for feedback. OTRAMM said i should turn the crank back to 50 degrees. It would only be about 1cm or 4 teeth... Looking at the belt as it stands the left and right cams looked as though their move is commensurate to the center cam/crank...

Flintknapper - Everything is in time. And it all makes sense now. OTRAMM has several utube videos that are excellent one set has the engine in the truck and there is a set with the engine out. The third video in the latter set he manipulates the cams using his pin wrench to get everything lined up. watching that again after reading your notes tied it all together for me. Thank you!

Flintknapper - Everything is in time. And it all makes sense now. OTRAMM has several utube videos that are excellent one set has the engine in the truck and there is a set with the engine out. The third video in the latter set he manipulates the cams using his pin wrench to get everything lined up. watching that again after reading your notes tied it all together for me. Thank you!

Good work Sir. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom