100-series revival, correction, and build. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We have decided to add another cruiser to the stable. After debating several platforms we decided a 100 Series would be the best fit.

We purchased the truck from @farinvail on October 6. This is the photo we took the day the truck arrived to its second home.

IMG_3155.JPG

My 77 will retire from daily service to undergo some extensive modifications.

Given this truck is “Built” I’m going to be spending a lot of time repairing/replacing neglected parts, getting maintenance up to speed.

Last edited:
I was on a plane early Friday morning to Colorado.

IMG_3096.JPG

I started my trip back home with take out from Stout House in Eagle CO. I went with the employee recommendation of a wrap with turkey and bacon with guac and gouda. Black coffee in a tumbler for the wife (she had to stay back with the kids).

IMG_3108.JPG

As I headed out of Eagle I decided to snap a few pictures.

IMG_3107.JPG

IMG_3121.JPG

Last edited:
In good adventure fashion the snow came, and the bulk of the trip was nothing but rain.

IMG_3119.JPG

IMG_3128.JPG

I was greeted by a red morning in Missouri, but the weather held. I was able to spot the Arch for the first time (no photo, too dangerous giving driving conditions).

IMG_3139.JPG

IMG_3148.JPG

1400 miles, average 16mpg at 70-ish mph and 192oz of coffee later I arrived home. Total trip time (with a few deviations) was 25 hours. Parked the 100 next to the 77 and decided if they are both going to fit, I'm going to need to rearrange the garage.

IMG_3154.JPG

Along the way I identified a few areas I need to address now and some for later. Ideally in the next week I'll get the truck registered. the trip gave me time to prioritize adjustments for the truck. For now it will be mostly cosmetic and preventative mantainance.

ASAP
- broadway 12 inch mirror (done)
- Headlight replacement (done)
- new battery (done)
- swap in third row (done)
- deep clean the interior (done)
- remove coms add a radio (done)
- 90k mile service (done)

ASAP (before first freeze)
- clay bar the exterior (done)
- pull fr/rr bumpers for rust removal and fresh paint (done)
- replace winch cable/fairlead (done)
- minor body work (done)
- corrosion prevention (done)

Time/Money permitting
- terrain tamer HD brakes
- aux lights (done)
- weather stripping, window motors and regulators
- speakers
- jdm bug screen
- toyota mrs steering wheel
- fix sun roof (done)
- ceramic window tint with anti glare review mirrors and wind shield

Last edited:
Far, I haven't seen posts from you in a long time or seen you at Cruise Moab, wondered how you have been. Remember your trail leadership on Poison Spyder at CM and your wife descending that BIG!! ledge on way out. All the best.

Installed philips crystal vision ultras in the highs, lows, parking, and reverse. Polished lenses.
IMG_3214.JPG
IMG_3217.JPG

Still not perfect, but what is.

Good thread youve started.

Not sure what youve used on your headlights, but keep in mind the lenses are glass(unless they are aftermarket replacements) and wont polish up like a plastic lens. Often there is haze built up on the inside of the glass that could be attended to but would require removing the light and going in with a long swab from the back side and cleaning the lens and reflector.

I just used a light polishing compound and brillo pad to get the road grime off. The reflectors are hazed for sure. I'm likely going to order new headlights and rewire the lights at some point. Initial impressions are good with the new bulbs. I won't know for sure until I drive it.

Thank you for the kind words also!

I just used a light polishing compound and brillo pad to get the road grime off. The reflectors are hazed for sure. I'm likely going to order new headlights and rewire the lights at some point. Initial impressions are good with the new bulbs. I won't know for sure until I drive it.

Thank you for the kind words also!

Nice built 100. Like to let you know I carry the DEPO 1 piece headlamp that refresh the look to 06-07 style headlamp. Also has the DEPO replacement glass headlamp as well. =)

98-2005 Landcruiser DEPO 1 piece clear head lamp Interest

I didn't scroll the tread too much, does it require a grill swap?

No mod required, if you go with OEM 06-07 headlight then replacement grille and headlamp valance required. This Depo give you the 06-07 1 piece headlamp appearance without mod required =) Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

1400 miles, average 16mpg at 70-ish mph and 192oz of coffee later I arrived home. Total trip time (with a few deviations) was 25 hours. Parked the 100 next to the 77 and decided if they are both going to fit, I'm going to need to rearrange the garage.

That drive from CO to OH is no joke, glad it went smoothly.

Yeah it seemed to drag on.

added- truck wouldn’t start at the first fill up. Bad battery and hoopty wiring. I disconnected all the accessories cleaned the terminals and got a jump. And didn’t turn it off for the rest of the trip.

Next year I'll be making the trip out to Moab accept the intent is to dolly tow the 77 :confused:

Last edited:
Yeah it seemed to drag on. Next year I'll be making the trip out to Moab accept the intent is to dolly tow the 77 :confused:

If I can work it in between everything else my wife has planned for '18, I'll head back out for HIH. The drive is brutal, but it's a hell of a lot of fun once you get there.

Welp, I came out from lunch earlier this week to a wet headliner and a puddle in the center consol. Instead of getting a hair cut I ended up driving home, pulling the roof liner and passenger side window flashings. I cleaned everything as best as I could and sealed it with silicone. That day I brought it to a recommended body shop. And patiently waited for the call.

IMG_3229.JPG

The shop discovered some troubling evidence of a lackadaisical previous install. So I'm now left to clean up the mess. After struggling in my head with the associated costs to properly repair I've decided to fully commit to this truck. Historically, a windshield was installed with screws followed by a second windshield with rivets. My body guy believes some seals were inappropriately reused and primer was not used at all. Luckily the rust doesn't seem to have penitrated to the second skin. I won't know until cutting starts. The window frame will be restored and all new hardware/software will be used IAW the FSM.

IMG_3232.JPG

IMG_3233.JPG

This lesson serves to prove two things: Do it right, do it once and be prepared to walk away. Which I should have done as soon as I saw the truck. I'm just in too deep at this point.

Last edited:
Bummer to see, but glad you're doing it right this time!

It's a shame that shoddy work almost destroyed the truck. I'm fortunate in one sense that the windscreen was installed so badly that it started leaking before the rust really set in. I was able to speak with the shops glass guy and he told me the only thing holding the windscreen on was the bottom two rivets and the driver's side.

It also sucks that I'm now considerably more invested in the truck. my 77 will not be getting an ARB front or @cruiseroutfit 's piece of art rear bumper.

I'll focus on the upside, at least you now know what lurking beneath your windshield trim and you're taking steps to make it right before the damage got worse. Your also starting off with a clean slate which is nice.

Mine had to have the windshield replaced this spring and it was on its way as well. Luckily the rust was just on the surface, although my quick repair has started to discolor so I guess I'm going to have to get at it again very soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom