100 Series starter failure poll (1 Viewer)

at what mileage did you starter fail?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I will be pulling the intake to replace air valves which have failed. I'm going to replace the pump while in there and was wondering if it makes sense to change out the starter while I'm in there. I don't want to have go in there again for another 100K miles. My truck is an LX470 with 110,000 miles.

Yes it makes a lot of sense to change it now, i have the same V8 in my 4Runner and pushing close to 300k on the original starter.

So my truck came with a reman'd Denso starter already in it. Rummaging through the records it looks like the original was replaced right around 150k and then I had to replace the replacement at about 190k. I now have another Denso reman'd in there and thus far (some 10k+ miles) I have had zero issues with it.

I don't know that there is a definitive "yes it will go out prior to XXXk miles" or anything like that. So if you can, have one money to, and are already in there then why not but if it is not giving you any grief, I am also of the mindset of not because it is not known as a weak point in the truck. They are just kind of a bitch to get to it all.

If we're going to poll...I might suggest adding in the opportunity for more than just 200k. I'm at 220 on one (2000) and 160 on the other (2002) both on original starters, in addition to @vipergrhd closing in on 300k.

Seen several push past 300k with no issues either.

I think a lot of us experience intermittent failures rather than outright ones, and end up replacing before its completely failed. You may want to clarify which you’re polling.

Lol. I’m on starter number 4, at 360k. Absolutely replace it.

It's not a pleasant job if you are in a rush. I was really thankfull for my articulating ladder that I used and my 16 year old boy who is a good wrench. I need to get one of those topside creepers.

So my truck came with a reman'd Denso starter already in it. Rummaging through the records it looks like the original was replaced right around 150k and then I had to replace the replacement at about 190k. I now have another Denso reman'd in there and thus far (some 10k+ miles) I have had zero issues with it.

I don't know that there is a definitive "yes it will go out prior to XXXk miles" or anything like that. So if you can, have one money to, and are already in there then why not but if it is not giving you any grief, I am also of the mindset of not because it is not known as a weak point in the truck. They are just kind of a bitch to get to it all.
Right on the dot when mine was replaced. My starter is still going strong but if it goes I'm installing a kick start.

Mine started to click now and then at about 230k I went ahead and replaced with a denso reman. I’d sure replace it while your in there though

Couple days ago my LX started making a loud crunching noise whenever I start the car. Sounds like someone stomping on an aluminum can. Short and loud.

What is that? How urgently should this be fixed?

2002 LX with 140k miles. Thanks!

Shouldn't the metric here be starts/mile, and not strictly mileage? It's not apples to apples comparing a rig that has 10 starts per 250 miles versus one that averages 2 starts per 250 miles.

Yes it makes a lot of sense to change it now, i have the same V8 in my 4Runner and pushing close to 300k on the original starter.
same 328kms not sure what that is in miles but still starts first time everytime. Got contacts and what not to rebuild soon just as preventative

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom