100 series shock choice advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had another Bilstein shock fall to pieces on me so its time to be rid of the damn things forever.
Just wondering what modern shocks others are running now.
We mainly do extended dirt travelling with bad corrugations so fade resistance is important.
Enjoy a bit of rock climbing and serious off road stuff.
Usually towing a 2 tonne trailer, the truck is heavy.
Truck has a 2" lift.

My choices are down to:
Dobinsons MRA59-A786 Remote Reservoir
Koni Raid 90's
Superior Engineering Adjustable 2.0 Monotube Remote Reservoir

I like the Konis but would like to have remote reservoirs for fade resistance.
Some Dobinson user say the shocks are too soft even though adjustable.

Stock, OEM.

I have 70k miles on Tough Dogs. My use case is similar to yours. The rear shocks are adjustable. The ride is not harsh, and you can definitely tune the ride by adjusting the rears (10 settings). I have no complaints.

Had another Bilstein shock fall to pieces on me so its time to be rid of the damn things forever.
Just wondering what modern shocks others are running now.
We mainly do extended dirt travelling with bad corrugations so fade resistance is important.
Enjoy a bit of rock climbing and serious off road stuff.
Usually towing a 2 tonne trailer, the truck is heavy.
Truck has a 2" lift.

My choices are down to:
Dobinsons MRA59-A786 Remote Reservoir
Koni Raid 90's
Superior Engineering Adjustable 2.0 Monotube Remote Reservoir

I like the Konis but would like to have remote reservoirs for fade resistance.
Some Dobinson user say the shocks are too soft even though adjustable.

Which model of Bilstein shocks have you experienced failures with?

I ask because I have been running the 4600 model Bilsteins with stock suspension the last 20,000 miles with good results, mixed highway and desert off-roading.

Which model of Bilstein shocks have you experienced failures with?

I ask because I have been running the 4600 model Bilsteins with stock suspension the last 20,000 miles with good results, mixed highway and desert off-roading.
The part number is F4-BE5-B340-M1
What happens is that the top piece (that holds the rubber donuts which go in the top of the shock tower) is a separate screw on piece which eventually unscrews from the rest of the shock. It then thrashes around destroying the threads making it rather difficult to put back together again. Google shows this to be a common problem, certainly it is here in Australia.
Had three of them do this now, there wont be a fourth.

Bilstein_1.jpg

Bilstein_2.jpg

My vehicles are relative lightweights, but I have nothing but good things to say about the Dobinsons IMS/MRR/MRA shocks…

The part number is F4-BE5-B340-M1
What happens is that the top piece (that holds the rubber donuts which go in the top of the shock tower) is a separate screw on piece which eventually unscrews from the rest of the shock. It then thrashes around destroying the threads making it rather difficult to put back together again. Google shows this to be a common problem, certainly it is here in Australia.
Had three of them do this now, there wont be a fourth.

View attachment 3288553

View attachment 3288555

Okay so this is interesting. I Googled that part number (F4-BE5-B340-M1) and found an online listing with information and photos. Then I looked for the Bilstein 4600 model rear shocks I installed on my '99 UZJ100. These look very much like the F4-BE5-B340-M1 but have a different part number (24-027403.)

WomblingFree I appreciate you sharing your experience with Bilstein shocks on the 100 Series (will need to check my rear upper mounts) and sorry you have had these failures. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom