100 Series Semi Floating Rear Axle Removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I needed to pull my axles for re-gearing and was surprised at the lack of info on pulling the 100's semi floating rear axles.
I found loads of vids and photosfor the full floating rear axle, but of course, my 1999 UJZ came with Semi floating axles.
(And I kept failing when searching for a FSM) This is a trivial job really, but I wanted some reference before I dug in.

Anyway, How to tell what you have?
It's easy, the full floating axles use the same style of hub flange as the front CV axles. If you've got a hub with six bolts sticking out of the middle of your rear wheel, it's a full floating axle.
80 series have them as well at 105s - which I why literally every video I found has full floating in them.

Full floating 80's axle:
rear_caliper-removed-jpg.58326

100 Series semi floater:
brakes-shoes-rear-2-jpg.1758634

To pull the rear axles in a semi-floating rear end, you start by pulling the brake calipers and rotor, and yes, disco the hard lines from the hoses. Disconnect the E-Brake cable, and unbolt the brake housing from the axle flange - there are four nuts holding it on.
Some notes: Do yourself a favor and get a 10mm flare nut wrench. I also hit everything with penetrating fluid the day before I took them apart.

After that the entire axle will slide out with the brake assembly.
For some good photos, this is a useful thread:

80 series have them as well at 105s - which I why literally every video I found has full floating in them.
Mostly irrelevant, but IIRC, early 80 series also had semi-float. I think 91-94 were all semi-float.

Do yourself a favor and get a 10mm flare nut wrench. I also hit everything with penetrating fluid the day before I took them apart.
More relevant - That ☝🏾is great advice.

You don't need to separate the brake lines if you don't want to. Cut a notch into the bracket the line goes through so you can slip it out after removing the clip, and you don't even need to bleed brakes. :cool: Just remove the caliper and hang it from the spring or something, then proceed to pull the shaft.

True, but I was pulling my calipers anyway - on one of them the caliper was into the rotor.
I considered cutting the brackets but I've hacked enough on this truck.

Is it necessary/required to pull the ABS sensor when pulling the rear axle?

Is it necessary/required to pull the ABS sensor when pulling the rear axle?
I don’t think so. You could just disconnect the wire and it will come out with rear axle.

You don't need to separate the brake lines if you don't want to. Cut a notch into the bracket the line goes through so you can slip it out after removing the clip, and you don't even need to bleed brakes. :cool: Just remove the caliper and hang it from the spring or something, then proceed to pull the shaft.
Do you have a pic with the notch? Did you cut smallest part where clip slips in?

Do you have a pic with the notch? Did you cut smallest part where clip slips in?

Just the top, and you need only enough to let the hard line slip out.

This is just a stock photo of some slightly different mounts, but the idea is the same...cut between the red lines.

SCR-20230314-htzh.png

Last edited:
I don’t think so. You could just disconnect the wire and it will come out with rear axle.
(1 year later- lol. ) But to answer my own question yes its necessary to pull the abs sensor out for axle removal clearance. They are stuck pretty good and you have to be careful to gently twist with a plier to break it loose. Some penetrant ahead of time is helpful. A new abs sensor oring on hand is good insurance- they are pretty flattened out and worn after 15-20 years- could present some water intrusion there if not tight. I didn't think ahead to order any so reused mine after applying a little AT205 to it.

(1 year later- lol. ) But to answer my own question yes its necessary to pull the abs sensor out for axle removal clearance. They are stuck pretty good and you have to be careful to gently twist with a plier to break it loose. Some penetrant ahead of time is helpful. A new abs sensor oring on hand is good insurance- they are pretty flattened out and worn after 15-20 years- could present some water intrusion there if not tight. I didn't think ahead to order any so reused mine after applying a little AT205 to it.
:) Good point about the oring. I am about to replace the complete axle but planning to disconnect the wire. I guess I could remove the sensor and install on the newer axle but afraid it might get damaged accidentally.
Just the top, and you need only enough to let the hard line slip out.

This is just a stock photo of some slightly different mounts, but the idea is the same...cut between the red lines.

View attachment 3272043
thanks a lot

Replacement rear axle is in. I was looking at removal instruction on FSM and it suggested to make marks before removing. Now my question is how do I know the orientation with the new axle? I guess there are only 4 possibilities :). Thanks in advance.

Not factory markings. They are markings from 20+ years of driving from the same spot.
I see now what you mean. Just took pic of the old one and I see difference which being bring is down to two possibilities. Hopefully we did it rights by coincidence.
If installed wrong, would I just get vibration?

FF23E935-82B6-49E9-86A6-12B92B5ABC08.jpeg

Last edited:
I see now what you mean. Just took pic of the old one and I see difference which being bring is down to two possibilities. Hopefully we did it rights by coincidence.
If installed wrong, would I just get vibration?

View attachment 3277290
You may get vibration. You may have some color paint mark on your drive shaft, try to match color paint marks if possible. I have seen white paint mark on drive shaft before.

You may get vibration. You may have some color paint mark on your drive shaft, try to match color paint marks if possible. I have seen white paint mark on drive shaft before.
Yes, I saw the white mark on the shaft. There was minor white mark on drive flange where nut was bent to not get loose. If that was for that reason, I tried to match those. We shall see when go on the freeway. Thanks a lot for your response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom