100 Series Recovery Point Question (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 03 Lx470. I wanted to have a proper recovery point because once in a while I do take her offroad on some trails. So I purchased this guy:

9L7EkzL.jpg

Then I realized you can't fit 3/4" d ring/shackles in those loops. So next I was thinking of purchasing this guy:

yIDHzE9.jpg

Please note: This has holes on each side just in case it is too short and the d ring won't fit in the space made where those loops are.

Please also note: This is before I found out about the custom made recovery points that can be put directly into the frame.

Thoughts?

I've been using the rear D shackle hitch attachment like in your second picture for probably 20 years and it has has saved me more times than I can count. I keep it locked into the hitch all the time. That will cover you on the rear for most recovery efforts but you can't rely on the OEM hooks and little hoops in the front.

You definitely need something like the link posted above. And it's my understanding you'd simply use the existing bolts.

@eurodre I believe you use the factory bolts or can get new ones. @reevesci might be able to answer better.
I have not had a chance to install yet.

I've been using the rear D shackle hitch attachment like in your second picture for probably 20 years and it has has saved me more times than I can count. I keep it locked into the hitch all the time. That will cover you on the rear for most recovery efforts but you can't rely on the OEM hooks and little hoops in the front.

You definitely need something like the link posted above. And it's my understanding you'd simply use the existing bolts.

So are you suggesting I stick with the method I originally posted or the custom inframe tow point?

@eurodre

That hitch and D shackle option is great and what I use for the rear, but I am throwing those recovery brackets on the front since I do not have a afte rmarket bumper to pull from. Nice to have both options if stuck. for $55-75- its nice insurance/ sleep better knowing the front can be pulled on without a hunk of metal flying through the air.

So are you suggesting I stick with the method I originally posted or the custom inframe tow point?

Yeah, the D shackle and hitch mount will work really well for you (your second picture) and is very safe. The first picture you posted, I don't think I'd consider use as a recovery point. That just looks like a spot to hook trailer chains to it.

One thing to note, your picture shows a D shackle that MAY be hollow tubing versus a solid metal piece. The one I've been using for almost 20 years is a solid hunk of metal. Still looks exactly the same but again, it's solid not hollow tube if that makes sense.

hitch shackle.JPG

Last edited:
Yeah those were the ones I was referring to. Quite possibly I might have to get those instead. Was hoping to see if anyone had personal experience with the current method I'm on.

For the ones you mention, do they come with the bolts as well?

Check w/ @reevesci about the bolts. From the web page though it doesn't look like they are included.

For more information about replacing the front tie-down hook, see @spressomon's 100 Series Front Frame Recovery Bracket.

I have a set of Trail Tailor recovery brackets for both front and rear. However, I also carry an aluminum hitch adapter from Custom Splice in my recovery kit because it provides additional options when dealing with strap/line angles that could damage your bumpers. It's cheap insurance that doesn't take up too much real estate. Just make sure you get quality components for both the hitch adapter and the shackle.

I like the bolt-on front recovery points as discussed ^up there^.

But, for the rear, I'd save the $30. Just feed the looped end of the recovery strap into the receiver and put the pin through the loop - just like you'd secure the receiver hitch.

I like the bolt-on front recovery points as discussed ^up there^.

But, for the rear, I'd save the $30. Just feed the looped end of the recovery strap into the receiver and put the pin through the loop - just like you'd secure the receiver hitch.

We've done that on other rigs with no ill effects, but there's always a chance of abrading the loop against the inside edge of the receiver. If I wanted to save some money I'd use a short length of heavy duty chain in the receiver (pin through the link) and attach the loop to the opposite end of the chain, clear of any sharp edges.

Yeah, the D shackle and hitch mount will work really well for you (your second picture) and is very safe. The first picture you posted, I don't think I'd consider use as a recovery point. That just looks like a spot to hook trailer chains to it.

One thing to note, your picture shows a D shackle that MAY be hollow tubing versus a solid metal piece. The one I've been using for almost 20 years is a solid hunk of metal. Still looks exactly the same but again, it's solid not hollow tube if that makes sense.

View attachment 1387434

The issue is and perhaps I should have led with this, on my LX the tow attachement, first pic, goes directly into the bumper. So the reason I'm looking for a D ring receiver with holes on all sides is because that's going to go directly into that tow attacement as seen in the first picture. Did I explain that well?

So when you take off the small cover this is what it looks like:

img_0308-jpg.217178

Then you get the tow attachement and it looks like this:

1793625d1456631705-ot-what-kind-trailer-hitch-img_38871.jpg

Unless I completely spent the money needlessly and I can just put this guy directly in there and secure it with a hitch pin?

61U2VKblo3L._SL1500_.jpg

The issue is and perhaps I should have led with this, on my LX the tow attachement, first pic, goes directly into the bumper. So the reason I'm looking for a D ring receiver with holes on all sides is because that's going to go directly into that tow attacement as seen in the first picture. Did I explain that well?

So when you take off the small cover this is what it looks like:

img_0308-jpg.217178

Then you get the tow attachement and it looks like this:

1793625d1456631705-ot-what-kind-trailer-hitch-img_38871.jpg

Unless I completely spent the money needlessly and I can just put this guy directly in there and secure it with a hitch pin?

61U2VKblo3L._SL1500_.jpg
I am not very familiar with the LX's but in that first pic w/the cover removed it doesn't look like there is a hole for the hitch pin..? If that is the case then you can't safely secure a hitch without a receiver hitch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom