1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

100 series rear axle, full floater or semi or ?

Discussion in '100-Series Cruisers' started by Landpimp, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    When I was putting new tires on today I took a look at the rear axle in the 2000 UZJ, what is it? it looks like a semi floater.......sorta but not really, doesn't look like a full floater, at least not what I am use to seeing on a Cruiser.........so what is it?

I chated breifly with my parts guy and he said there were bearings like a SF, but no c-clip.......he basicly said it was wierd ::)

2. Beowulf

Beowulf

Semi floater. :(
    -B-

3. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    but in the 98-99 there was an E-locker option, did it have a full floater? I thought I remembered the FF was need for a E-locker on 93-97's?

but yeah the flange on the 100 sure looks like a SF

4. Beowulf

Beowulf

John,

(I believe the following information to be correct but I don't follow the 100's very closely)

91-92 have SF with drum rears and no ABS.
    93-94 have ABS as an option. ABS vehicles all have FF and rear disks. A prerequisite for the e-locker option in the 93-94's was ABS. Those few 93-94 trucks without ABS have SF and rear drums.
    95-97 have ABS, FF, and rear disks as standard. E-locker was still an option.

98-99 have ABS, rear disks, and SF standard. E-locker was an option but didn't get the FF as there is only the 1 axle for those years.

-B-

5. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    The Wulf is correct,

Semi-floaters in 100's regardless.

6. bjowett

bjowett Supporting Vendor

Toyota did beef up the axle shaft, if I am not mistaken??? So at least it is a stronger semi float unit.

7. cruiserman

cruiserman

IIRC it's a hilux style SF (no c-clip). I asked this question on 80scool a moon ago or so.

8. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

[quote author=bjowett link=board=2;threadid=11383;start=msg103640#msg103640 date=1076559777]
    Toyota did beef up the axle shaft, if I am not mistaken??? So at least it is a stronger semi float unit.
    [/quote]

It's not so much the size of the shaft but the lack of the second bearing that makes it a weaker axle. Maybe a less load carrying axle is a better description.

9. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    thanks guys :) If I recall the payload of the 100 is 1700lbs............so it must not be too weak ;)

10. Jim_Chow

Jim_Chow

Depending on the design (if it's like on the 1st/2nd gen 4runner/hilux), you can fab a FF conversion kit. On the 4runner/hilux, you remove the drum (4 bolt pattern on the axle housing flange), then bolt on an adapter (made by a fab shop, usually of 1/4" steel) onto the flange. The caliper (hilux uses a celica/supra rear caliper since it has the e-brake) bolts onto the adapter. Then onto the adapter, you bolt on a front spindle from a pre IFS mini-pickup. You also need the front hub/bearings for this axle and maybe to replace the bushing in the spindle. The kit comes w/ new axles (I think made by Moser) that use C-clips on the end like w/ the front. You also need a locking freehub from the same type of front axle (can replace the lock/unlock dial w/ a permanent lock plate). I suppose one could have those FF drum type axles custom made w/ the flange at the end (like on those dualie mini-pickups) so you don't need the freehub at all. Anyways, I mention this since there might be a way to adapt an 80 series front spindle/hub in a similar way.

BTW, don't know about the consumer-version 105 in Oz, but the international spec 105's come w/ FF rear axles w/ drum brakes. I haven't heard of any hilux/4runner/mini-pickup SF axles separating except when people try to reuse the retainer that holds the pressed bearing on the axle. That item should be replaced along w/ the bearings.