100 series rear axle, full floater or semi or ?

Discussion in '100-Series Cruisers' started by Landpimp, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    When I was putting new tires on today I took a look at the rear axle in the 2000 UZJ, what is it? it looks like a semi floater.......sorta but not really, doesn't look like a full floater, at least not what I am use to seeing on a Cruiser.........so what is it?

I chated breifly with my parts guy and he said there were bearings like a SF, but no c-clip.......he basicly said it was wierd ::)

2. Beowulf

Beowulf

Semi floater. :(
    -B-

3. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    but in the 98-99 there was an E-locker option, did it have a full floater? I thought I remembered the FF was need for a E-locker on 93-97's?

but yeah the flange on the 100 sure looks like a SF

4. Beowulf

Beowulf

John,

(I believe the following information to be correct but I don't follow the 100's very closely)

91-92 have SF with drum rears and no ABS.
    93-94 have ABS as an option. ABS vehicles all have FF and rear disks. A prerequisite for the e-locker option in the 93-94's was ABS. Those few 93-94 trucks without ABS have SF and rear drums.
    95-97 have ABS, FF, and rear disks as standard. E-locker was still an option.

98-99 have ABS, rear disks, and SF standard. E-locker was an option but didn't get the FF as there is only the 1 axle for those years.

-B-

5. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    The Wulf is correct,

Semi-floaters in 100's regardless.

6. bjowett

bjowett

Toyota did beef up the axle shaft, if I am not mistaken??? So at least it is a stronger semi float unit.

7. cruiserman

cruiserman

IIRC it's a hilux style SF (no c-clip). I asked this question on 80scool a moon ago or so.

8. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

[quote author=bjowett link=board=2;threadid=11383;start=msg103640#msg103640 date=1076559777]
    Toyota did beef up the axle shaft, if I am not mistaken??? So at least it is a stronger semi float unit.
    [/quote]

It's not so much the size of the shaft but the lack of the second bearing that makes it a weaker axle. Maybe a less load carrying axle is a better description.

9. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    thanks guys :) If I recall the payload of the 100 is 1700lbs............so it must not be too weak ;)

10. Jim_Chow

Jim_Chow

Depending on the design (if it's like on the 1st/2nd gen 4runner/hilux), you can fab a FF conversion kit. On the 4runner/hilux, you remove the drum (4 bolt pattern on the axle housing flange), then bolt on an adapter (made by a fab shop, usually of 1/4" steel) onto the flange. The caliper (hilux uses a celica/supra rear caliper since it has the e-brake) bolts onto the adapter. Then onto the adapter, you bolt on a front spindle from a pre IFS mini-pickup. You also need the front hub/bearings for this axle and maybe to replace the bushing in the spindle. The kit comes w/ new axles (I think made by Moser) that use C-clips on the end like w/ the front. You also need a locking freehub from the same type of front axle (can replace the lock/unlock dial w/ a permanent lock plate). I suppose one could have those FF drum type axles custom made w/ the flange at the end (like on those dualie mini-pickups) so you don't need the freehub at all. Anyways, I mention this since there might be a way to adapt an 80 series front spindle/hub in a similar way.

BTW, don't know about the consumer-version 105 in Oz, but the international spec 105's come w/ FF rear axles w/ drum brakes. I haven't heard of any hilux/4runner/mini-pickup SF axles separating except when people try to reuse the retainer that holds the pressed bearing on the axle. That item should be replaced along w/ the bearings.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.