100 series pad question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last weekend while doing the front axle service, I put on new OEM rotors and 100 series pads (no shims). The PS inner pad was a very tight fit, required a bit of light tapping. I have been experiencing a slight pull to the PS when driving on roads that incline in that direction. I want to rule out that the pad is in contact with the rotor. What should I look for?

The truck can idle up inclined driveways and such and the pull is really only there when driving on an inclined (even slightly inclined) road surface, but I am feeling a bit paranoid about it. This pull may have been present before the service but I didn't really notice it and just caught my notice due to the tight fit of that PS side pad. On level ground there is not any real pull.

In my research about the 100 series pad, there was often a reference to "grinding" away a part of the pad. I sort of got the impression that it was done to the friction surface. I am kind of inclined to just put the 80 series pads back on for the peace of mind. I have only driven about 50 miles this past week so putting the 80 series pad shouldn't be a problem especially since they have a slightly smaller foot print.

Thanks

Ross

If you decided to put in the 80 series pad and would like to get rid of the 100 series pad, then let me know and I will gladly buy them from you.

If you go back to the 80 series pads you can upgrade to the 1997 pads. Cdan turned me on to this for an upgrade. I have a 91 so you may allready have tha upgraded pads.

photogod said:
If you go back to the 80 series pads you can upgrade to the 1997 pads. Cdan turned me on to this for an upgrade. I have a 91 so you may allready have tha upgraded pads.

What?! Tell me more. The 97 pads are better than 91? When I go to get pads, I say 80 series and they give them to me. SO they are different?

the 97 pads are made of the same material as the 100 pads, but otherwise same size and depth as earlier pads. The 97 pads will fit a 91-92 no problem. the 100 pads will also fit if you use a grinder

semlin said:
the 97 pads are made of the same material as the 100 pads, but otherwise same size and depth as earlier pads. The 97 pads will fit a 91-92 no problem. the 100 pads will also fit if you use a grinder

Do you grind the friction surface (the pad itself) or something on the backside?

Ross

sorry,i was hi-jacking you need to grind the backplate for a 91-92 but not for a 94. if you reef on the caliper pistons until they are flush it should fit. if it won't I would grind the padsurface slightly if you are close. my inner 100 pads went in with a mallet too. the pads may be so tight that they bind a little on the rotor but this won't matter when you are driving. your pull is likely something else. was the wear on the old pads even? a sticky caliper piston could cause your issue.

Last edited:
Your pads are probably really tight due to the new rotor. When I installed my 100 series pads on my original rotors I did not need to do any grinding. If you choose to grind the pad use a belt sander to evenly remove metal. A disc grinder or bench grinder will do a hack job.

GOod luck...

semlin said:
sorry,i was hi-jacking you need to grin the backplate for a 91-92 but not for a 94. if you reef on the caliper pistons until they are flush it should fit. if it won't I would grind the padsurface slightly if you are close. my inner 100 pads went in with a mallet too. the pads may be so tight that they bind a little on the rotor but this won't matter when you are driving. your pull is likely something else. was the wear on the old pads even? a sticky caliper piston could cause your issue.

Cool, thanks for the info. The old pads had even wear, but I didn't measure them, just eye-balled them.

Ross

4x4CPOSEADOG said:
If you decided to put in the 80 series pad and would like to get rid of the 100 series pad, then let me know and I will gladly buy them from you.

aaaaawwwwrrrrrrriiiiiigghhhhtttttt.

lets not let the smartest among us speak. :idea:

:doh: :doh: :doh:

Originally posted by GeoRoss
I am kind of inclined to just put the 80 series pads back on for the peace of mind. I have only driven about 50 miles this past week so putting the 80 series pad shouldn't be a problem especially since they have a slightly smaller foot print.

Originally posted by reffug
lets not let the smartest among us speak.

Just trying to help Geo on how to get rid of his 100 series pad if he inclined to just put the 80 series pad vice the 100 so he can have a peace of mind. I'm not the smartest that's why I hang around tech forum to gain more :banana: :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom