100 series oil pressure gauge maxed out help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good evening ladies and gents. Have a 99 landcruiser that I recently bought. Oil pressure gauge has read max and not worked since I bought it. I put a new pressure switch on it today thinking it would be a fix, but no luck. Still reading all the way past H. For clarification purposes, the gauge never moves at any point while the engine is running or off. Are there any other things besides the pressure switch that would cause this? I really really want to monitor oil pressure. All help is appreciated friends!

maybe its the cluster?

Good evening ladies and gents. Have a 99 landcruiser that I recently bought. Oil pressure gauge has read max and not worked since I bought it. I put a new pressure switch on it today thinking it would be a fix, but no luck. Still reading all the way past H. For clarification purposes, the gauge never moves at any point while the engine is running or off. Are there any other things besides the pressure switch that would cause this? I really really want to monitor oil pressure. All help is appreciated friends!

See comment below

Last edited:
If the needle stays pegged high while the engine is off, then I would suspect it could be the stepper motor for that gauge. I guess it could be a short in the wiring to the sender though, so the voltage stays maxed after the engine shuts off, so the stepper never drives back to the low gauge position? I'd have to look a little deeper into the operation of those as far as if they drive back to the bottom after the engine is off but before the acc power is off? My hunch is stepper motor though. I'm sure someone with more gauge cluster experience will chime in.

Thanks for the replies guys. Im going to try and run down the wire and check for cracks/breaks. As far as the stepper motor, I will definitely have to look into that. Ive never worked on a toyota cluster, so I have no idea where to even start with that. Keep the info coming!

Thanks for the replies guys. Im going to try and run down the wire and check for cracks/breaks. As far as the stepper motor, I will definitely have to look into that. Ive never worked on a toyota cluster, so I have no idea where to even start with that. Keep the info coming!
There are some really detailed threads on here about replacing those motors. Since you have an LC, I think you can buy replacements really cheaply on eBay.

I have this same exact issue on my 99. I did some research and I ordered a new OEM oil sending unit. I was just researching how to change it and came across this thread. Have you ruled that out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom