1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

100 series oil pan question

Discussion in '100-Series Cruisers' started by extremetoy1, Mar 3, 2007.

1. extremetoy1

extremetoy1

Long story short, is your sump at the rear of the engine or in the front (the Tundra 2uz sump is in the front)

I have the parts # pages printed from the dealer (both the 100LC and the Tundra) and the LC upper oil pan as well as the pan itself looks to be a rear sump pan......

But the part #s are the same for the Tundra and LC oil pans (the Tundra pan looks entirely different.. front sump) what gives?

2. extremetoy1

extremetoy1

C'mon!!! none of you 100 series owners know if your oil pan is a rear or front sump?!! you do change your oil right? lift kit- maybe while you were installing it you LOOKED at the oil pan? anyone?

you will help unravel a mystery of why the picture of the pan at the dealership parts departments computer looks like a rear sump but has the same part # as the Tundra pan pictured that is clearly a front sump.

Thanks for any help in advance..........

Cant someone go outside and look? PRETTY PLEASE!!!?:D

3. Jim_Chow

Jim_Chow

Without the FSM in front of me and not having been under the rig in a couple of months, I'm thinking it's the rear sump in my LX. Reason is, the drain bolt (covered by plate #3) is in the center of the #2 skid plate (big plastic one that covers the tranny pan, oil pan area), which is pretty far back.

4. extremetoy1

extremetoy1

Thanks Jchow, thats a start!!
    I was @ homedepot today and was trying to look under one without looking like I was up to something...:doh:
    I waited for the owner and finally gave up and went shopping

5. Jim_Chow

Jim_Chow

Got more info for ya. I took a look at the LX FSM. There are two oil pans. Pan #1 is the large one bolted to the bottom of the block. Underneath that is pan #2, which holds most of the oil. Between the pans is an oil baffle. Pan #2 is NOT rectangular-shaped. It's more like a pentagon or distorted square at the back end where the oil is, but the front portion is only like half as wide. It appears from the drawing in the FSM that oil pan #1 also has this kind of shape in the front so pan #2 can mate up to it. Therefore, if the Tundra has a sump up front, it's likely that both oil pans #1 and #2 are different, and also the oil baffle in between. I'm wondering if the reason why the 100 is a rear sump is since it has two IFS crossmembers, so the sump has to be located far enough aft to clear both? I'm not sure if the tundra has one of two crossmembers, but the older 4runners only had one, and the sump is where the second one would have been.

6. sleeoffroad

sleeoffroad Supporting Vendor

Will this picture help. :D
    100sas2.jpg

7. extremetoy1

extremetoy1

thanks..... I really do appreciate it, now off to the dealer to look at the part #s again and see if i caught a MISTAKE;)

someone is getting a solid axle swap............ nice

8. calamaridog

calamaridog

Perhaps it is reversable?

Hey, it possible:flipoff2: