100 Series OEM rear locker install (into 1999LX) interchangeable parts - questions and diagnostics (not locking) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiserpatch

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.cruiserpatch.com
I've been searching for some information about interchangeable parts for the OEM rear locker actuator.

I have a broken 80 series actuator, a broken 100 series actuator, and an unknown 100 series actuator in my truck (1999 LX).

Toyota 41450-60041 (1992-1995)
Toyota 41450-60042 (1994-1997) - also DIFF60042 @cruiseroutfit - also also AISIN SAT001
Toyota 41450-60070 (1998-1999) - also SAT022

Will 60042 work with a retrofitted 1999 LX470 (my vehicle)?

I have confirmed that the 1998/1999 LX470 are prewired to receive OEM lockers.
Yes I tested in low range, yes I have the OEM 80 series style switch and OEM computer unit 89533-60090

I can hear the motor being activated and turning slightly, then nothing. Tried figure 8's (I didn't try on gravel, maybe that would help)

I've read the following threads about repairing the motor:
Rear Locking Dif Assembly Help - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/rear-locking-dif-assembly-help.17701/
Actuator Motor - Real Time Help Needed. - https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/112420-actuator-motor-real-time-help-needed.html
Rear e-locker does not engage - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/rear-e-locker-does-not-engage.310934/page-3

@ClassyJalopy
@2001LC
@abuck99
@TheLCProject
@sdnative

(calling in the big guns)

Last edited:
If you're going to tag me you should remember I already told you the answer to this exact question just a few weeks ago (3/2/23) :D

"if you're not opposed to changing the plug wiring and minor tweaks, the 7x/8x ones are several hundred cheaper and the same mechanically"

Mechanically they interchange, plugs are different, vent is different. Very easy to retrofit.

20230320_174634.jpg

You can look at additional photos here:

DIFF60042 (12V 7x/8x)

DIFF60070100 (12V 100x specific)

If you're going to tag me you should remember I already told you the answer to this exact question just a few weeks ago (3/2/23) :D

"if you're not opposed to changing the plug wiring and minor tweaks, the 7x/8x ones are several hundred cheaper and the same mechanically"
Apologies. I obviously forgot. See you in Moab 👍

Apologies. I obviously forgot. See you in Moab 👍

No sweat, I just giggled when I saw the post and thought "I swear we already covered this" :D

Mechanically they interchange, plugs are different, vent is different. Very easy to retrofit.

View attachment 3278136

DIFF60042 (12V 7x/8x)

cruiser outfit....... i looked back at your posts and couldn't find on 3/2/23 calls conversation. I have a 99 and my actuator is junk, rock auto sent me 97 and not the 99 aisin

View attachment 3278136

DIFF60042 (12V 7x/8x)

Hi was reading one of your replies to a guy on the 2 different rear actuators and how you told him on 3/2/23.... i went back and check you postings and couldn't find anything. Rock auto sent me the 97 for my 99. I'm posting what i found from a gentleman in 2008 below, let me know if there is anything different than what he said or to add.... Thanks Chris @patchagan can maybe help direct me if he sees this

I currently have an actuator from an FZJ80 in my 100 series rear axle. The reason for wanting to go this route is cost. The 80's actuator (Aisin part number SAT001) is far less expensive and easier to find than a 100 series. Here are the differences: 1. The connector. You will either have to splice in the old pigtail or carefully disassemble the connectors putting the new pins into the old connector. The wires are the same colors, the pins are the same and the wire location in the connector is the same, so it's easy to figure out. The 80's pigtail is a bit shorter, so the cut and splice may be preferable. 2. The actuator shaft needs to be extended. It needs more reach on the 100 series. This is easy to do, just remove the actuator's cover, extend the shaft to match the 100 series' length, put the cover back on. 3. Dance around in your garage because you have finally exorcized the demons from your locker.

Hi was reading one of your replies to a guy on the 2 different rear actuators and how you told him on 3/2/23.... i went back and check you postings and couldn't find anything. Rock auto sent me the 97 for my 99
His methods are sound. The '97 will fit the '99 but the connectors are different and the shaft length is different- still capable of functioning.

cruiser outfit....... i looked back at your posts and couldn't find on 3/2/23 calls conversation. I have a 99 and my actuator is junk, rock auto sent me 97 and not the 99 aisin

Hi was reading one of your replies to a guy on the 2 different rear actuators and how you told him on 3/2/23.... i went back and check you postings and couldn't find anything. Rock auto sent me the 97 for my 99. I'm posting what i found from a gentleman in 2008 below, let me know if there is anything different than what he said or to add.... Thanks Chris @patchagan can maybe help direct me if he sees this

I currently have an actuator from an FZJ80 in my 100 series rear axle. The reason for wanting to go this route is cost. The 80's actuator (Aisin part number SAT001) is far less expensive and easier to find than a 100 series. Here are the differences: 1. The connector. You will either have to splice in the old pigtail or carefully disassemble the connectors putting the new pins into the old connector. The wires are the same colors, the pins are the same and the wire location in the connector is the same, so it's easy to figure out. The 80's pigtail is a bit shorter, so the cut and splice may be preferable. 2. The actuator shaft needs to be extended. It needs more reach on the 100 series. This is easy to do, just remove the actuator's cover, extend the shaft to match the 100 series' length, put the cover back on. 3. Dance around in your garage because you have finally exorcized the demons from your locker.

The 3/2/23 conversation you continue to reference was a private message between Patch and I.

As I discussed in your pm to me, I would contact RockAuto and let them solve the incorrect part they sent you. While you can rewire the earlier actuator to work on the late model truck and vice versa, if you ordered the correct part I would get them to resolve.

His methods are sound. The '97 will fit the '99 but the connectors are different and the shaft length is different- still capable of functioning.
Thanks. Is moving the shaft further out pretty self explanatory once inside and last question….. my current connector is pretty beat up…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom