100 series no start no crank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1 Month old Battery that is reading 12.5V while not running (jump starting does nothing)
1 minute old brand new Toyota Starter Relay
6 month old Toyota Remanufactured starter
14 month old Toyota remanufactured alternator

Land Cruiser has no crank and just clicks when I turn the key, at first i was thinking starter relay but that also isnt working. I have a 1000 mile trip im supposed to be leaving for in 3 days. Thankfully this didnt happen while on the road, but now im stressing if ill even be able to go with the land cruiser not starting. Currently towing it to my mechanic, but does anyone have any insight or suggestions on what to look for? im completely stumped.

AAA just got here and I decided to try to turn it over one more time and it cranks and fires up no problem. I’m now driving to the mechanic. Now I’m really stumped.

I'm interested in what you find. I have the exact same symptoms. No crank, no start. But then randomly I'll try to turn it over and boom, starts right up. And same as you, jump starting does nothing.

I'm currently replacing alternator and starter.

I'm interested in what you find. I have the exact same symptoms. No crank, no start. But then randomly I'll try to turn it over and boom, starts right up. And same as you, jump starting does nothing.

I'm currently replacing alternator and starter.
I'll keep you posted on what my mechanic finds.

connections at the battery?
bad ground?

Probably immobilizer, it's a well documented issue... But some of the same symptoms happen when you need a fuel pump, which happened to me.

Immobilizer/EFI issue, at least from my direct experience, motor will crank but acts like its...well not getting spark (or fuel). My money is on the starter. Poor install job or just a bad reman starter.

Immobilizer/EFI issue, at least from my direct experience, motor will crank but acts like its...well not getting spark (or fuel). My money is on the starter. Poor install job or just a bad reman starter.

This.

I don't think it's the immobilizer based on reading all those threads. They all say the engine cranks, but no start. Me and OP are referring to a no crank issue.

My last parts should be here today to finish my starter replacement. Mine is the original starter.

This.

I don't think it's the immobilizer based on reading all those threads. They all say the engine cranks, but no start. Me and OP are referring to a no crank issue.

My last parts should be here today to finish my starter replacement. Mine is the original starter.
Exactly, not getting any crank. All I hear is the relay click when I turn the key. Still haven't heard back from my mechanic yet, I did share with him the immobilizer thread incase that was the issue, but still no response. He told me he would make my issue his priority, so hopefully I hear something back soon. I appreciate all the help, very strange issue im having. Ive owned this 100 series for almost 7 years now 220k miles and this is the first time its let me down.

Updating this as I just got a text from my mechanic. Sounds like I have a wiring issue at the starter. I wonder how the cables got messed up.

"Before tearing it apart I did confirm the issue is somewhere with the wiring right at the starter. When it does the problem I grab at the bracket where it mounts to the starter and give it a wiggle and it starts. We will tear it apart and if I don't see anything obvious I will run new power and ground cables."

Exactly, not getting any crank. All I hear is the relay click when I turn the key. Still haven't heard back from my mechanic yet, I did share with him the immobilizer thread incase that was the issue, but still no response. He told me he would make my issue his priority, so hopefully I hear something back soon. I appreciate all the help, very strange issue im having. Ive owned this 100 series for almost 7 years now 220k miles and this is the first time its let me down.

Same thing, I hear the relay and nothing else. No starter click. Same, going on 14 years here and this is the first time for me, not starting.

Updating this as I just got a text from my mechanic. Sounds like I have a wiring issue at the starter. I wonder how the cables got messed up.

"Before tearing it apart I did confirm the issue is somewhere with the wiring right at the starter. When it does the problem I grab at the bracket where it mounts to the starter and give it a wiggle and it starts. We will tear it apart and if I don't see anything obvious I will run new power and ground cables."

had this issue and same, it was a ground issue. pulled and cleaned all grounds in the engine bay and its never come back.

Thank you both for the information, I'll start researching ground locations.

@th3l0cust Any tips?

pulled the wires and cleaned all battery terminals, replaced the really roasted negative terminal with new OEM. then wire brushed / wheeled the ground locations and bolts on the block, starter and engine bay.

My money is on bad starter fuse, relay or the starter itself! But I would start with the battery terminals first!

bah!! too late!

pulled the wires and cleaned all battery terminals, replaced the really roasted negative terminal with new OEM. then wire brushed / wheeled the ground locations and bolts on the block, starter and engine bay.

Thanks, I was just thinking I need replace my terminals.

My money is on bad starter fuse, relay or the starter itself! But I would start with the battery terminals first!

bah!! too late!
I thought the same thing originally. relay is brand new, starter is damn near brand new, terminals are fine. Sounds like its a wiring issue at the starter, I posted my mechanics response a few moments ago.

I replaced my terminals about a year ago with these. They are very well built and much more robust and easier to install/remove than OEM.

Amazon product ASIN B01LLWKXV6
How are you attaching the positive lead from the vehicle to the terminal? I ask because i had a similar issue a few years back and the piece of aluminum i used to connect the lead to the terminal was loose on the terminal end. Tightened everything up and resolved, switched to SDHQ terminals and no issues since.

IMG_20180929_151514 (1).jpg

How are you attaching the positive lead from the vehicle to the terminal? I ask because i had a similar issue a few years back and the piece of aluminum i used to connect the lead to the terminal was loose on the terminal end. Tightened everything up and resolved, switched to SDHQ terminals and no issues since.

View attachment 3095915

I upgraded just the negative on the starting battery and left the positive oem since it had that fuse box. My auxiliary battery has both the positive and negative terminals I posted above. I will say, my positive lead could use replacing, ive never liked how thin and pliable it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom