100 series newbie guide? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
is there such a thing? I'm kinda sorta maybe in the market for a 98-2002 100 series. Honestly dont know all that much. Only diffs I know is that 98-99 had rear locker option, 2000+ has traction controll, I know they need the timing belt replaced at 90K?

any problems with the US spec 100's? any years better than others?

the Lexus version gets active suspension(sounds like something I don't want)

John H

Alot of help you guys are :flipoff2:

Looked at a 2001 today......but I passed because it was a turbo dsl and no IFS.....

>>turbo dsl and no IFS..... <<

I HATE YOU :D

Sorry, LP. I didn't see your request earlier.
Here's a little bit of info on year by year changes from a message I posted a few weeks ago.

quoting
One of the dealership employees can probably get a lot more technical, but here's the year-to-year updates reported by ConsumerGuide, starting with the 1998 intro of the100 series:
LT

""Toyota's full-size sport-utility vehicle earned new styling for 1998, as did its Lexus cousin. That upscale Lexus wagon got a name change from LX 450 to LX 470, to mark the switch from V6 power to the SUV's first-ever V8 engine (with 4.7-liter displacement). Toyota stuck with the Land Cruiser designation for its new V8 sport utility. The V8 evolved from the engine installed in Toyota's Lexus-division luxury cars. The 4-door wagon came with permanent 4-wheel drive and a 4-speed automatic transmission. A 2-speed transfer case provided low-range gearing for off-road use, and a locking rear differential was optional. A Land Cruiser could tow up to 6500 pounds. Antilock brakes were standard. Land Cruisers were fitted for 5-passenger seating as standard, but a 3-place third-row bench seat was optional, boosting capacity to eight occupants. Rivals included the Chevrolet Tahoe, Ford Expedition, and GMC Yukon/Denali.

Year-to-Year Changes
                                                                                                                                                                                                                        1999 Toyota Land Cruiser:                                                                                                            Rear air conditioning became optional this year, as the only notable change. Featuring automatic temperature control, that system was independent of the front-seat air conditioner. Rear air was available only when ordering the third-seat option.                                                                   
                                                2000 Toyota Land Cruiser:                                                                                                            Land Cruisers gained standard equipment, including a new Active TRAC traction control system with integrated vehicle skid control. Using data from the 4-wheel antilock brake sensors and other sources, this system directed power to the wheels with best traction. Formerly optional, a power moonroof and leather upholstery became standard. Automatic rear air conditioning, independent of the regular system, now came with the optional third-row bench seat.                                               
                                                2001 Toyota Land Cruiser:                                                                                                            An optional navigation system featuring an in-dash screen with map display via DVD was new for 2001.                                         
                                                2002 Toyota Land Cruiser:                                                                                                            Toyota's luxury SUV got standard instead of optional 3rd-row seating, plus rear-seat automatic climate control for 2002.

end quoting

In addition, the 2000 and later models come with a 4-pinion front diff that's a little stronger than the 2-pinion on earlier models. In 2003 they put a five-speed transmission in, but it only adds maybe 1 mpg.

LT
8)

thanks a bunch, I remembered a bit but not much. I like the locker of course but the traction controll is just fine I suppose. hmmmmmm wonder if you can add ARB front and rear and use traction controll? Does the traction controll work in low range?

what the story on the Lexus active suspension?

any problems that pop up more than others? spoke to a Toyota tech(that sees lots of 100's) last year and he said he hasnt seen jack squat for problems

damn! I feel like a freakin newbie :D

what the biggest tire I can put on :eek::D

John H

[quote author=Mr.Bryan link=board=2;threadid=8019;start=msg68097#msg68097 date=1069812092]
>>turbo dsl and no IFS..... <<

I HATE YOU :D
[/quote]

didn't like the silly barn doors or OEM snorkle either...

LP -
Probably the guy doing the most wheeling in a 100 on this board is Drexx Laggui. He's in SoCal and, I believe, also has an 80 series. I think Drexx put Arb lockers on front and rear in the 2001 100 series.
There's another guy on the Cool lists who has both an 80 and 100. He says the tract control on the new 100 works extremely well in slow speeds -- he lets the 100 just walk its way across rough terrain that gives his 80 fits. He also notes the size of the 100 means it stays in the garage for some trails.

My 99 version doesn't get off-road much, except along fire trails and some rather extreme private roads and driveways in the NC mountains. Goes like a mountain goat.

The 98 version had a little air conditioner buzz and brake squeal that were fixed in the 99 and later, and there was something about a "chatter" in the 99 and 00 transmission shifting from neutral to drive. I recall Cruiser Dan said the tech bulletin called for a new ball to be added to the transmission, and he chortled that the newer, smaller tranney lacked balls - should be an easy search to find that thread.
Nothing specific to watch for that I know about -- it's a great machine.

LT

8)

[quote author=cruiser99 link=board=2;threadid=8019;start=msg68292#msg68292 date=1069870708]
I would go had to had with Drexx as to the off road wheeling compare to me… :D
D.
[/quote]

Go ahead, C99. Had to Had or Head to Head.
Meanwhile, if you've got 100 series newby advice for LPimp (or me, since I'm new too, for that matter), give it.

;) :D

LT
8)

lexus version, active suspension hydrolic shocks leak,very expensive,rear ones are next to impossible to change
00,01, transmisionfailure,due to the shim quality in the overdrive cluch pack
thats the worst of it
the benifits greatley outweigh the faults,,,,,,,,,

OK, here I go.
If you want an adventure mobile that will take you your passengers and their cargo to remote places and bring you back, the 100 is for you. Its main limitation is its size, particularly its width. IFS is a draw back as well, but can be mostly overcome. Rear Diff lock is a must, if you do some serious wheeling. I couldn't live with out mine. I thing you have to remember, it will never be a rock crawler, to be and heavy for that, but at the hand of a skilled driver it will tackle almost any real life obstacle. Mine does and if it doesn't, I winch over it. To some it up, I have followed, some of what people consider more capable vehicles, and never got left behind.
If you have any particular questions, shoot…

D.

[quote author=fj55-100 link=board=2;threadid=8019;start=msg68533#msg68533 date=1069905484]
lexus version, active suspension hydrolic shocks leak,very expensive,rear ones are next to impossible to change
00,01, transmisionfailure,due to the shim quality in the overdrive cluch pack
thats the worst of it
the benifits greatley outweigh the faults,,,,,,,,,

[/quote]

How expensive on the shocks? Did they change something in 2002 to eliminate the transmission failure? That transmission failure sounds real expensive???

trans has been updated no failures after 02,
shocks , at home ,will look up friday,
when the o/d cluch bearing went it usually took out the unit by spreading debri all over

Great stuff, C99 and FJ55/100 :) :)
This is some of the best 100 series data we've seen lately. Keep it comin' :cheers:

Was the overdrive shim problem in 00 and 01 due to the change to the traction control? Was that for LX version only, or TLC as well? They all use the same A343F tranny, don't they?

thanks!

LT
8)

the od shim was a vendor change ,that was fixed in the next purchase we were told, all my records are on the lexus side dont know about toyota,

Guys......I REALLY aprecaite all the info in the 100's. Like EllTee said......keep it coming :)

[quote author=fj55-100 link=board=2;threadid=8019;start=msg68813#msg68813 date=1070034525]
the od shim was a vendor change ,that was fixed in the next purchase we were told, all my records are on the lexus side dont know about toyota,
[/quote]

Great information!!!

What do you think about the new 5 speed they came out with in the GX470 and now is going into the LX470? Is it better than the 4 speed?

5 speed is a great addition made the gear ratio closer in all gears, much peppier seems much faster

fj55- does this tranny problem also affect 95-97 80s (which have the A343F tranny)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom