100 Series Newb: best suspension setup for... Afghanistan? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am a long-time mudder, but this is my first post in the hundy section (I've got a 60). I've done a couple searches about suspension options already but couldn't a definitive answer that relates to my scenario, so sorry in advance if i'm :deadhorse:.

I work for an NGO here in Kabul (landmine victim/disability sector) and one of our vehicles is a stock '99 HDJ100 soft skin. It's got about 190,000km and the suspension is shot. The truck is only driven around town, but the roads here are terrible so I hesitate replacing the suspension with stock OE components if there is a more robust option out there for the same price or less. This is our low-profile vehicle and we want to maintain a stock appearance. There will be no bumpers or any other conspicuous aftermarket gear so heavy duty kits are not necessary and I also want to minimize lift, either stock height or about 1" max.

Any advise you folks can offer is appreciated!

I think you would be best advised to stick with OE springs in the rear and OE t-bars in the front especially since you don't want a lift. A heavier spring will just make your ride quality crap without extra weight and most aftermarket springs have a lift anyway. I'll bet your springs and t-bars are actually fine (t-bars might just need a little cranking if they're sagging).

I would bet it's your shocks that are the issue here and for low profile you could pick almost any reputable shock company and spray paint them since a lot come in bright colors. I don't think you would go wrong with bilstein on all 4 corners from everything I have read about them, if UZJ2000 can't blow them out you probably can't either.

Can't go wrong with Old Man Emu. Not too expensive and available in stock ride height. Shocks are yellow but you could spray paint them another color before install.

What is the budget? I would say replace shocks with a HD shock that will take some abuse. Only way you will be able to travel those roads faster and keep the truck from bottoming out and dipping so much is to replace the springs. For the smallest lift possible I would go with OME865 (2" lift/0-200lbs) and OME Torsion bars and set the front to 1". Most of those 100's overseas have gobs of rake so it will look very similar to OEM.

If no "budget" I'd install some king shocks but keep stock ride height. 90mph on rough roads anyone? :D

I was looking at the OME865's but i could I wasn't sure what the overall lift would be, some sites said 1", others said 2" and some complained the ride was too stiff with out bumpers etc.

I wouldn't be apposed a little more suspension travel since we often bottom out but I suspect it's mostly due to worn springs/shocks. I am also looking for a comprehensive kit (vs just shocks), since bushings and and at least the rear springs also need to be replaced.

Oh, and we are a non-profit so we are always on a budget... Shooting for $1500 including shipping (APO) and install.

I'd say new OEM. All four run around $100 from Cruiserdan or Beno. They may only last another 190Km though. :rolleyes:

New bushings in the front will help a lot too. OEM are cheap. Aftermarket poly are actually made of unobtainium and probably would ride harsh if they could be found.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom