100 Series / Mobile HAM Setup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ntsaint

Don't Assume I Know The Basics...
SILVER Star
Threads
Fresh licensee here, KG5UZI.

Have had and am using a Baefong handheld. But i want to perm mount something in my 100 series, eventually moving it to my 200 in a year or so.

A detachable faceplate is a must have for me, want to keep the tranceiver itself hidden. I have antenna mount options on my hood (gamaviti mount) and behind my rear hatch (pillar or bumper mount).

I have looked at radios till I'm blue in the face...decision paralysis. I will only use this setup for offroad trips, will never become an 'enthusiast'.

Was really hoping someone could suggest/recommend a basic setup, radio and antenna, that has worked great for them.

Thanks!

Hi Andy,
Congrats on the license. Detachable faceplate typically put you above $300 with dual band rigs.
I have the Kenwood TM-V71A which I thought I would remote mount, but finally decided to mount whole unit on top of center dash. Don't know if you saw it at HiH. I will post a photo when I find it. These units generate some heat and have built-in fans so can't be crammed into a space without ventilation. BTW since I did not remote it I have DFK-3D remote kit I will sell you cheap. Things I like about the TM-V71A; Has PC SW to setup features and load repeater setting into its memory, Port to connect an APRS adapter, Cross band repeater (your handheld can use it as high powered repeater). I run a Comet SS-680SB which is rugged and has a spring in base so it takes getting whacked better.
What radios are you leaning towards?

@Skidoo Right now i just have my old Baefong handheld hooked up to a small external antenna. It seems to work ok, i can connect to repeaters at a pretty good distance.

The Kenwood stuff looks the best to me, but the detachable faceplate unit (from what i can tell) is over $550. I'd like to stay closer to $300 if possible. I'm not opposed to anything really, as long as it can be programmed easily.

EDIT: Misread your post the first time. So the unit you have WILL remote mount, you just didn't wind up doing it. How long is the cable in the remote kit?

Last edited:
The Yaesu 8900 (quad band) is a great unit, detachable plate, and I think in your price range. I have one in my 80. The 7900 is also great for dual band.

The Yaesu 8900 (quad band) is a great unit, detachable plate, and I think in your price range. I have one in my 80. The 7900 is also great for dual band.

Thanks. I do like the Yaesu units.

Is the speaker located in the unit or in the mic? Wondering if i would need to extend the speaker to the remote location as well.

This external speaker fits nicely on molding at headliner above my head. Makes it easier to distinguish between sound from CB (center dash) and ham (above left). Kenwood speaker is in main unit and where I mounted I could hear it, but had trouble telling if it was CB or ham.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JT3DYQ

Thanks. I do like the Yaesu units.

Is the speaker located in the unit or in the mic? Wondering if i would need to extend the speaker to the remote location as well.

Yaesu speaker is on the main body, mine is mounted on the passenger side transmission tunnel, so accessible. I do have a simple speaker, $8 5Watt from Amazon, works greak hanging from the passenger side visor.
Icom also makes good units for the price range you are looking for. Nothing wrong with Baofeng, I think we all start with those and then move to quality units. Problem is, Baofengs never die!

I'm running an Icom 5100 for 2M / 70CM

1849ED0D-AB82-43B4-988B-2D0E7AEE0D46_zpsxagxg0hn.jpg

Last edited:
I do have an Icom 5100 as well, and it's awesome, but wasn't in the price range you mentioned. Mine was $499 from Gigafarts. If you can stretch the budget, the 5100 does have amazing features, and can store 1500 repeaters and find nearby repeaters via gps location. And the touch screen does make use while driving a breeze. And then DStar.... great radio all around.

I have @Izzyandsue 's old TYT th-9800 and it works great. It is a copy of the Yaesu 8900. For the price and what it comes with, it really can't be beat. Especially if you are not planning on going big and expensive with your radios and antennas. I have crappy hearing so I mounted the radio next to the center console in the 80 and ran a external speaker up under my e-brake. Face plate is on the dash
IMG_20170818_144203609.jpg

I have @Izzyandsue 's old TYT th-9800 and it works great. It is a copy of the Yaesu 8900. For the price and what it comes with, it really can't be beat. Especially if you are not planning on going big and expensive with your radios and antennas. I have crappy hearing so I mounted the radio next to the center console in the 80 and ran a external speaker up under my e-brake. Face plate is on the dash
View attachment 1541310

@KliersLC I have heard good things about those radios. How long is the faceplate extension cable?

@KliersLC I have heard good things about those radios. How long is the faceplate extension cable?
Not sure off of the top of my head but I had at least twice the length needed to run it as shown--across the dash, down under the shifter housing to the console.

Thx. I'm wanting to run it from the rear drawer system to the front console, so would think i would need at least 10-12'

The TYT website is not the best for product info :)

Research suggests that it is a 12 ft cable. Also comes with the mounting bracket for the faceplate--this makes it very easy to snap off the face and put it in your pocket when leaving the rig. Also receives aviation bands as well as receiving and transmitting on Marine bands, FRS, and GMRS. Receives and transmits on CB as well but with limited tx range as it doesn't transmit in AM and the signal gets garbled during demodulation. All of that being illegal of course, but in an emergency, it will talk to pretty much everybody.

I can unplug mine this evening and stretch it out to see if it will reach. Needed to tidy up the extra wire anyway--currently stuffed up under the shifter console.

The V71A has an optional 13ft extension cable set that works with the remote kit to give about 22ft total, its kind of pricey,

Another to consider ICOM IC-2730A VHF/UHF FM Transceivers IC-2730A

I've been close to pulling the trigger on this one more than a few times. True dual transceiver, crossband repeat. Large display, and easy controls. For now, I also use my UV-5R laying in the console attached to an antenna...

If you're only using it for trail work and wheeling I'd go with a HT, like a Yaesu FT-60 add an external mounted antenna and not look back. You'll likely desire more power down the road but for wheeling, a handheld is awesome and has all the power you need in a convoy.

I recently added my handheld to a ram mount, with power cable and PTT mic/speaker, I have a good little unit that can move from car to car and pop right out to spot someone over an obstical.

Fwiw, I have hard mounted radios in both cruisers too. For a quick and easy mobile rig (non seperating faceplate though) a Yaesu 2800/2900 can be had for about $100 on eBay. That bumps you up to 75w and reaches out there pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom