100 series lunchbox locker (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, are there any 32 spline lunch box lockers available for the 100 series/470 rear 9.5” rear? Considering changing my build plans to a 100 series but don’t want to put much money into axles since they will he replaced later on after a spring wheeling season or so??? What day the peoples??

98-99 come with standard e-locker in the rear, after 99 they were an option I believe. If you don't care about a slight boost in hp (like 5-10hp) and 5spd auto then you could save yourself some time looking for a 98-99.

Rear lockers were only an option on 98-99 in North America on 98-99. 2000 introduced the ATRAC Traction control system. Both should serve you well. General advise is buy the newest one you can afford.

Quick note--a buddy of mine (@Cornhusker) won an aussie locker at an event last year but found out that autolockers for the early 100s are either rare or don't exist. So, get one with a locker, spend the money on a selectable, or look elsewhere.

Hey, are there any 32 spline lunch box lockers available for the 100 series/470 rear 9.5” rear? Considering changing my build plans to a 100 series but don’t want to put much money into axles since they will he replaced later on after a spring wheeling season or so??? What day the peoples??

Wheeling season an 100 series in the same paragraph makes me want to ask what your stlye of wheeling is. Also are you replacing axles?

The LX came standard with a very nice and very solid LSD rear. I see zero benefit to a lunchbox locker on an LX when such a high quality LSD is present.

The LX came standard with a very nice and very solid LSD rear. I see zero benefit to a lunchbox locker on an LX when such a high quality LSD is present.

My LSD must be completely smoked on my 99 LX because if I get in any kind of cross axle wheel spinning situation I am stuck

My LSD must be completely smoked on my 99 LX because if I get in any kind of cross axle wheel spinning situation I am stuck

Sounds like it. Mine never let me down. Crawled over and thru plenty of stuff I probably had no business being in. You can rebuild them pretty inexpensively. Since my LSD was so solid, it afforded me the option to upgrade my 2 pinion front diff to a locker for a stronger front end.

So similar to the LC was the LSD an option on 98-99 LX’s before ATRAC was introduced in 2000?

So similar to the LC was the LSD an option on 98-99 LX’s before ATRAC was introduced in 2000?

I am 99% sure that ALL 98-99 LX470 for US market had an LSD.

ALL 98-99 LX in the US has the LSD. It was not an option. In Canada, they could select the LSD or the Locker.

Tell us more about your build plans in total. You, say you want to replace axles that implies heavy wheeling and more hp.

Sounds like it. Mine never let me down. Crawled over and thru plenty of stuff I probably had no business being in. You can rebuild them pretty inexpensively. Since my LSD was so solid, it afforded me the option to upgrade my 2 pinion front diff to a locker for a stronger front end.

what do you need to refurb the LSD? new clutch plates? what kind of cost we talking?

Lots of replies here that DON'T address the actual question in the original post.

I am not aware of a lunchbox locker that will fit the 100 series, only the older 30 spline models. (80 series and earlier)

Company called LOKKA out of Australia was developing one starting about four years ago, but I don't think it ever came to market. I tried contacting them about it last year, and they never followed up.

As others have said 98-99 LX has the clutch type LSD. It works ok in limited traction situations but not so great when one of the wheels is up in air. It really needs some traction in both wheels.
A locked rear axle from a 98 or 99 LC is a direct swap into a pre 2003 LX. That would be the least expensive option

As others have said 98-99 LX has the clutch type LSD. It works ok in limited traction situations but not so great when one of the wheels is up in air. It really needs some traction in both wheels.
A locked rear axle from a 98 or 99 LC is a direct swap into a pre 2003 LX. That would be the least expensive option

What's the difference for an 03+? Besides brake line mounting locations or little things like that.

Hmm, I never thought about this. I see some for sale on ebay for less than $1k. How hard would it be to get the wiring harness and install in an LX? I wanted to get a harrop locker but if I could buy a used rear locker from a land cruiser and just stick it in my LX that may be the way to go.

What's the difference for an 03+? Besides brake line mounting locations or little things like that.

Gear ratios is probably the main issue. 4 speed models have 4.3. 5 speeds have 4.1. You’d have to upgrade your front diff gearing to match the rear in 03+.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom