100 Series LC Brake Problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
To start, I have a 1999 Land Cruiser 100 series, a little over 200k miles.

Last year, one day my dad was driving (now my truck) the land cruiser, and the brakes apparently were completely shot. I don't know if it did the screech of death or if he had the 5-6 pumps before hand until they failed, but they went out and he almost hit his 2021 ranger he had just got. I know the ABS light was on when i got in it after one day to clean it and start it up, no engine light or anything.

We had no idea what caused it, and it ended up sitting by our barn for a year out in our field (uncovered from the elements).

Fast forward a year, I wanted the truck since my dad got it when I was a kid, and I was determined to get it running. I used another truck to strap the LC and pull it up to my driveway and it still had no brakes, ended up getting it towed to a mechanic two weeks ago.

Mechanic added new battery and an oil change and it runs, and stops, and he did absolutely nothing to the brakes? The brakes suck yes, but they stop, and I don't know whether to be worried the problem will happen again, and how they magically work now despite not working before?

Anyone have any ideas? Brake fluid is half full, and when I brake it takes almost to the floor pressure to get it to brake, so I keep distance and don't speed.

Yesterday flashing check engine light came on so I haven't driven it in two days to describe in-depth how the brakes feel, but they do worry me.

Any tests I should do, anything to replace, any ideas on how to assure they won't go out one day when I'm driving>

I would start by checking the time it takes to fill the brake pressure system:

With the engine off and key out:
- pump the brakes 40+ times until you feel the pressure go away completely and the pedal goes to the floor
- put the key to the on / accessory position (no need to start the engine). You'll hear the maser cylinder motor running to pressurize the system
- Time how long it runs for before it stops. If it's more than 40 seconds that's a pretty good indicator you have an issue with the Brake MC

The problem described in this lengthy thread may not be your issue, but just in case:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom