100 Series Ignition Weak Spots - Foreknowledge and Preventive Maintenance options. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BreckenridgeCruiser

I break things.
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
teqtach.com
I just finished diagnosing a PIA electrical issue in my 99 100 Series and thought it might be useful to let you all know since we have more and more 100 series cruisers in the club.

Issue:
Truck off and key out. Door open and key warning sounds. if key warning does not sound, you can get chattering from the EFI relay in the engine bay.

Solution:
In my case, the key warning switch located above the ignition bracket cylinder was not opening fully with key out. I was getting micro-voltage across the terminals so this would cause the chatter or key warning based on many variables like key in or out, door open, etc. I swapped the key warning switch and this went away. I also replaced the ignition switch first as the threads I read pointed to this as the culprit...

Additional Discoveries:
While researching this, I came across a giant thread about ignition issues that can strand the 100 series of all years. Apparently there is a cam rod inside the ignition bracket that both acts on the ignition switch (electrical) and the steering wheel lock (mechanical). It appears that the cam rod from the factory was weak at a key location and can break when starting the truck. Some people have reported this happening in the ACC and ON positions, and can also happen while not unlocking the steering wheel which can make towing a real PIA. I have ordered two replacements for my two 100s, as I will wait until they break to replace, but some have done this as PM. The current parts from Toyota have updated castings to strengthen this weak spot so it should only have to be fixed once if you get the new cam.

PNs for the repairs described above:
Ignition Switch: 84450-12200
Key Warning Switch: 84052-33040
Steering Bracket (cams are not sold separately so you have to buy the whole bracket):
- 1998 - 2002 - 45280-60460 W/MANUAL TILT STEERING
- 1998 - 2002 - 45280-60510 W/POWER TILT STEERING
- 2003 - 2007 - 45280-60610 W/ANY STEERING (Should all be power)

Ignition Bracket Thread:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom