100 series headlight upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK I searched and found nothing about these JD low beams, can some one explain or hook me up with some info? Do I just ask JD for a pair of 9006's or what?

can the stock wiring in a 100 handle a higher wattage bulb? like a 80 watt?

happy with the highbeams but the low beams could be better, I am used to E code H-4 IPF in my other rigs......

TTT

thanks but I see nothing about the JD bulbs? and am confused about the statment that the low beams are H-1's, they are not(on mine at least), they are 9006(HB4), nothing like a H-1.

[quote author=98LXand99LC link=board=2;threadid=10871;start=msg97793#msg97793 date=1075733547]
Here's a thread from another board discussing this topic.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1811&
[/quote]

OK, so they(JD HIR's) are the same as the IPF HIR's I have in my fj80, ARB/IPF gave me a set a few years back, honestly not that impressed with em(low beams)

Think I'll just try out a set of 9006 80 watt normal halegens.

Thanks
John

John,

about 9 months to a year ago the JD bulbs were discussed on the 100's cool list.

[quote author=ppc link=board=2;threadid=10871;start=msg98037#msg98037 date=1075757470]
John,

about 9 months to a year ago the JD bulbs were discussed on the 100's cool list.
[/quote]

hmmm 100's cool......didn't know there was such a thing?

Couple of notes:

I use the 80 watt bulbs in my 80, and they work great, except they are not like the old german made bulbs that lasted years, instead they last months. Order a couple of extras when you buy them.

Second, I would consider an HID conversion for the low beams. For $380 you can now get a properly engineered HID kit with quality components. Check out http://www.misterjung.com/ for kits.

I have no opinion one way or the other about misterjung.

However, I found this statement on his web site and got a chuckle.

"a) digital pictures are a science and therefore not exact,"

:D

-B-

[quote author=cary link=board=2;threadid=10871;start=msg98068#msg98068 date=1075759412]
I would consider an HID conversion for the low beams. For $380 you can now get a properly engineered HID kit with quality components. Check out http://www.misterjung.com/ for kits.

[/quote]

As a cautionary note, Mr. Jung's kits were being bashed for VERY poor bulb / harness component quality back in my days of VW Corrado ownership over on a VW site (VW Vortex) in a lighting forum. Those guys (myself included) are pretty
fanatical about good lighting, and it seemed like a better quality build was available from another retailer. I'll hunt around a bit and see who that was.

I've been off the site for a bit, but I've been working on a new idea for headlights...which leads me to a...

---SHAMELESS WANT AD--- (related to topic)

If anybody has a single or pair of later style (mounting tabs location changed I've heard) 80's headlight assembly / housings with broken glass PM me.....all I need is functional housings without broken mounting tabs. The glass can be shattered for all I care.

LINUS,

Are you talking (thinking) about doing something like a bi-xenon projector install or something along that line?

I've been trying to get a set of used headlights myself and there is a set on Yahoo Japan auction right now. I would like to get them and play around with various possibilities. Of course, I would have to get rid of the cover(s). I'm not sure if I would save the fog part(inner part with yellow shade/cover inside).

Please keep us posted as to how your project turns out.

mot

Yes, something along those lines - I've got a pretty good idea of what I want to do, but I need old assemblies I can work with to gauge what I can use for retrofitting. (depth to my new lense involving heat issues is my main concern)

PM me if you want since I sorta took the topic a little off thread - Sorry Woody :) :beer: :)

[quote author=LINUS link=board=2;threadid=10871;start=msg98230#msg98230 date=1075776254]
As a cautionary note, Mr. Jung's kits were being bashed for VERY poor bulb / harness component quality back in my days of VW Corrado ownership over on a VW site (VW Vortex) in a lighting forum.

[/quote]

Linus,

Thanks for the information, it is more than I had. If you can get the info on the better supplier it would be wonderful.

Cary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom