100 series headlight upgrade

Discussion in '100-Series Cruisers' started by Landpimp, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    OK I searched and found nothing about these JD low beams, can some one explain or hook me up with some info? Do I just ask JD for a pair of 9006's or what?

can the stock wiring in a 100 handle a higher wattage bulb? like a 80 watt?

happy with the highbeams but the low beams could be better, I am used to E code H-4 IPF in my other rigs......

2. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
  3. 98LXand99LC

98LXand99LC

4. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    thanks but I see nothing about the JD bulbs? and am confused about the statment that the low beams are H-1's, they are not(on mine at least), they are 9006(HB4), nothing like a H-1.

[quote author=98LXand99LC link=board=2;threadid=10871;start=msg97793#msg97793 date=1075733547]
    Here's a thread from another board discussing this topic.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1811&
    [/quote]

5. yooper

yooper SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
  6. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    OK, so they(JD HIR's) are the same as the IPF HIR's I have in my fj80, ARB/IPF gave me a set a few years back, honestly not that impressed with em(low beams)

Think I'll just try out a set of 9006 80 watt normal halegens.

Thanks
    John

7. ppc

ppc M Go Blue

John,

about 9 months to a year ago the JD bulbs were discussed on the 100's cool list.

8. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    [quote author=ppc link=board=2;threadid=10871;start=msg98037#msg98037 date=1075757470]
    John,

about 9 months to a year ago the JD bulbs were discussed on the 100's cool list.
    [/quote]

hmmm 100's cool......didn't know there was such a thing?

9. ppc

ppc M Go Blue

10. cary

cary

Couple of notes:

I use the 80 watt bulbs in my 80, and they work great, except they are not like the old german made bulbs that lasted years, instead they last months. Order a couple of extras when you buy them.

Second, I would consider an HID conversion for the low beams. For $380 you can now get a properly engineered HID kit with quality components. Check out http://www.misterjung.com/ for kits.

11. Beowulf

Beowulf

I have no opinion one way or the other about misterjung.

However, I found this statement on his web site and got a chuckle.

"a) digital pictures are a science and therefore not exact,"

:D

-B-

12. LINUS

LINUS Waiting for the Great Pumpkin

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=cary link=board=2;threadid=10871;start=msg98068#msg98068 date=1075759412]
    I would consider an HID conversion for the low beams. For $380 you can now get a properly engineered HID kit with quality components. Check out http://www.misterjung.com/ for kits.

[/quote]

As a cautionary note, Mr. Jung's kits were being bashed for VERY poor bulb / harness component quality back in my days of VW Corrado ownership over on a VW site (VW Vortex) in a lighting forum. Those guys (myself included) are pretty
    fanatical about good lighting, and it seemed like a better quality build was available from another retailer. I'll hunt around a bit and see who that was.

I've been off the site for a bit, but I've been working on a new idea for headlights...which leads me to a...

---SHAMELESS WANT AD--- (related to topic)

If anybody has a single or pair of later style (mounting tabs location changed I've heard) 80's headlight assembly / housings with broken glass PM me.....all I need is functional housings without broken mounting tabs. The glass can be shattered for all I care.

13. mot

mot

LINUS,

Are you talking (thinking) about doing something like a bi-xenon projector install or something along that line?

I've been trying to get a set of used headlights myself and there is a set on Yahoo Japan auction right now. I would like to get them and play around with various possibilities. Of course, I would have to get rid of the cover(s). I'm not sure if I would save the fog part(inner part with yellow shade/cover inside).

Please keep us posted as to how your project turns out.

mot

14. LINUS

LINUS Waiting for the Great Pumpkin

Media:
    Albums:
    Yes, something along those lines - I've got a pretty good idea of what I want to do, but I need old assemblies I can work with to gauge what I can use for retrofitting. (depth to my new lense involving heat issues is my main concern)

PM me if you want since I sorta took the topic a little off thread - Sorry Woody :) :beer: :)

15. cary

cary

[quote author=LINUS link=board=2;threadid=10871;start=msg98230#msg98230 date=1075776254]
    As a cautionary note, Mr. Jung's kits were being bashed for VERY poor bulb / harness component quality back in my days of VW Corrado ownership over on a VW site (VW Vortex) in a lighting forum.

[/quote]

Linus,

Thanks for the information, it is more than I had. If you can get the info on the better supplier it would be wonderful.

Cary

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.