100 series HDJ100R 4.2 diesel CDL (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I'm new here and new to landcrusiers in general. I recently invested in a 100 series and am loving it so far. When I purchased the vehicle when pressing the CDL switch no lights were coming up on dash. Since then Toyota have replaced a switch and have said it's all working as it should, my question is, there are 4 lights on the dash with the CDL symbol being of different colours, however when I press the CDL switch or go into low range only ever one of the lights being the orange one lights up, am I missing something as I would have thought the green one would light up at some point? Sorry for my incompetence I am just concerned the diff lock is not operating as it should.

What lights come on?

No clue if there's any difference here between the diesel vs gas trucks, but on my dash the CDL light comes on (sometimes) and the VSC OFF light comes on. Occasionally, there will be no lights and you either need to confirm via feel or when you hear the click behind the glovebox.

What lights come on?

No clue if there's any difference here between the diesel vs gas trucks, but on my dash the CDL light comes on (sometimes) and the VSC OFF light comes on. Occasionally, there will be no lights and you either need to confirm via feel or when you hear the click behind the glovebox.
The light that has the drivetrain picture with the two wheels turned, however on this particular dash there is 4 of the same symbol I can see in the cluster, one orange, one green and there's a red etc, this is a manual transmission I should note and from what I can see there is no VSC light on the dash at all.

The light that has the drivetrain picture with the two wheels turned, however on this particular dash there is 4 of the same symbol I can see in the cluster, one orange, one green and there's a red etc, this is a manual transmission I should note and from what I can see there is no VSC light on the dash at all.
That sounds like the CDL button, but is it possible the others are for F/R lockers, too? Does your truck have F/R lockers?

I'm not sure what the dash does for trucks with factory lockers.

Could you post a pic of what comes on the dash?

That sounds like the CDL button, but is it possible the others are for F/R lockers, too? Does your truck have F/R lockers?

I'm not sure what the dash does for trucks with factory lockers.

Could you post a pic of what comes on the dash?
So the orange light comes on when activating CDL but in certain light you can see there is 3 other of the same on the dash but the rest don't light up.

20200615_111938.jpg

Does it appear that in the other, non-illuminated lights, that the 'X' you see in the CDL light is in the front or real wheel area?

Is this a 100 or a 105?

The 105 also uses this type of dash, and that has 3 lockers (front, center, rear) - it has "X" marks on the front axle, at the center and the rear axle in the lights.
Pre-facelift 100's have a center and a rear locker most of the times, so that's an orange light for the center (with X at the center) and a red light for the rear (with an X at the rear axle). Not sure what the 4th light is for.

Edit: I don't know what the green (4th) light is for though. Perhaps it's there for the very rare part time 4wd 100/105 trucks to indicate 4wd selected.

1592234451921.png

If yours only have a center locker and is a full time 4wd (like 99.999% of the 100 series are), then the behaviour you're seeing is the way it should be and everything is perfectly normal. One orange light with the X mark in the middle:)

Or in other words: They use the same dash in multiple models and all of the light are there in every dash, but only those with a physical diff-locker installed will illuminate.

Sorry for bad england.

Last edited:
Is this a 100 or a 105?

The 105 also uses this type of dash, and that has 3 lockers (front, center, rear) - it has "X" marks on the front axle, at the center and the rear axle in the lights.
Pre-facelift 100's have a center and a rear locker most of the times, so that's an orange light for the center (with X at the center) and a red light for the rear (with an X at the rear axle). Not sure what the 4th light is for.

Edit: I don't know what the green (4th) light is for though. Perhaps it's there for the very rare part time 4wd 100/105 trucks to indicate 4wd selected.

View attachment 2340603

If yours only have a center locker and is a full time 4wd (like 99.999% of the 100 series are), then the behaviour you're seeing is the way it should be and everything is perfectly normal. One orange light with the X mark in the middle:)

Or in other words: They use the same dash in multiple models and all of the light are there in every dash, but only those with a physical diff-locker installed will illuminate.

Sorry for bad england.
Perfect! Thank you so much I now feel alot better. Now I can just worry about emptying the wallet on accessories :rofl:

Is this a 100 or a 105?

Sorry for bad england.

Part-time 4wd 105s certainly aren't rare in Australia. I can loose my truck in parking lots.

FWIW, my diesel, manual, 105 has a very similar (but not the same) dash. I've only ever seen the green center diff lock light come on. It is off in 2wd mode, on in 4-high, and in 4-low, with a second manual lever to switch between modes. I have no buttons, no front or rear diff locker, and stock Aisin manually locking front hubs.

Part-time 4wd 105s certainly aren't rare in Australia. I can loose my truck in parking lots.

FWIW, my diesel, manual, 105 has a very similar (but not the same) dash. I've only ever seen the green center diff lock light come on. It is off in 2wd mode, on in 4-high, and in 4-low, with a second manual lever to switch between modes. I have no buttons, no front or rear diff locker, and stock Aisin manually locking front hubs.
I guess our Toyo tax doesn't supply us all with individual dashes. One dash for all haha.

Hi all,

I'm new here and new to landcrusiers in general. I recently invested in a 100 series and am loving it so far. When I purchased the vehicle when pressing the CDL switch no lights were coming up on dash. Since then Toyota have replaced a switch and have said it's all working as it should, my question is, there are 4 lights on the dash with the CDL symbol being of different colours, however when I press the CDL switch or go into low range only ever one of the lights being the orange one lights up, am I missing something as I would have thought the green one would light up at some point? Sorry for my incompetence I am just concerned the diff lock is not operating as it should.

Welcome Touring100!! Hey, never worry about not knowing things! Many of us started out not knowing much -- and I certainly have found the IH8MUD Forum a great place to learn and to have my many mistakes corrected.

I3n0x has summarised and illustrated the instrumentation panel situation, showing the four possible lights on some instrument panels and their uses in the various versions of the drive systems on the “100” and “105” vehicles.

HZJ105R has highlighted the situation in his own vehicle and also that the “105” variants ….

• HZJ105R – 4.2 litre 6-cylinder diesel (sometimes with aftermarket turbo)
and
  • FZJ105R – 4.5 litre 6-cylinder petrol (gasoline)

…. are still alive and well and widespread in Australia in the hands of owners and in the used car market – see Carsales | Australia’s No.1 Car Website – carsales.com.au .

(These designations will appear as part of the Model Code on the manufacturers plate either on the firewall in the engine bay or on the “B” pillar between the front and rear doors).

It is getting off the topic but some explanation of these two engines and their applications in Landcruisers in Australia can be found at:

1HZ Toyota engine
1FZ-FE Toyota engine

By way of further background on the various drive systems ….

The “105” is a very hardy variant and retained the Rigid Front Suspension (RFS) – meaning a solid live front axle – while the “100” was changed to an Independent Front Suspension (IFS). There are some differences in some dimensions and geometry but the body shape is much the same on the “100” and “105”.

The site at the following link gives a reasonable summary of the different “100” and “105” variants in Australia – scroll down to see the history: Review and History – Landcruiser 100 and 105 .

The HDR100R evolved with versions which included the 2UZ-FE petrol (gasoline) 8-cylinder-V8 engine, and, the 1HD-FTE turbodiesel 6-cylinder-in-line engine and Independent Front Suspension in Australia and around the world (HDJ100L for Left Hand Drive), although it appears that the 1HD-FTE was not marketed in USA. The “105” continued in Australia and in some other markets. The 1FZ-FE 6-cylinder-in-line petrol (gasoline) engine was discontinued. The 1HZ normally-aspirated (non-turbo) diesel engine continued for longer because it was robust, reliable and well-suited to remote areas. Many were fitted with after-market turbochargers.

The various 4WD systems and their operations, shifters and indicators are shown in the attached extract from the Toyota Landcruiser Owners Manual 2006.

Only the features actually fitted at the factory on any vehicle will work as described in the attachment. If the feature is not factory-fitted, then there may be blanks in the dashboard area and also there may be blanks in the indicator light positions in the instrument panel.

Anyway, enjoy your HDJ100R – and your accessory shopping!

Be a little wary though! The folks who work in these accessory outfits are usually very knowledgeable enthusiasts or fanatics – and that is a good thing. However, not always do they offer reminders about the Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) limitations of the “100” and “105” models – in Australia this is 3,260 kilograms (7,187 pounds) -- varies slightly with the model -- and the GVM for the specific vehicle is shown with the VIN on the compliance plate on the firewall. The GVM includes the tare weight of the vehicle plus everything added to the vehicle, plus everything carried by the vehicle, plus everybody sitting in the vehicle. So the payload is not great after some heavyweight accessories are added. Overweight means unroadworthy, illegal, liable in case of accident, and uninsured. GVM upgrades are possible but the cost and the process can be challenging. As well as IH8MUD, some discussion about these local issues can be found at Australian LCOOL Forum (registration required for access, no fee) and Australian Exploroz Forum (accessible but fee required for membership).

Meanwhile, go well!!

Attachments

• Extracts 100 series Owners Manual Australia 2006.pdf
    791.2 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom