100 Series Front & Rear brake Questions/Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been reading a lot, thinking a lot, and there are still questions I have about the brake service on my 100 series. Of course, I'm trying to strike the balance of not breaking the bank (no pun intended), and doing a really thorough job. Questions might be elaborate, but this is the tech forum and Im pretty sure we like to talk about Land Cruiser stuff :D So here it goes:

Wheel Bearings & Snap Rings:
1. Do you use a puller tool to set snap ring gap? Seems like these tools are not cheap. Or.. Do you prefer to use a bolt/ homemade tool for this?
2. Can/Should snap rings be reused?
3. Is snap ring gap always the same before, and after doing service like wheel bearings?
4. Any reason why I should not try repacking rather than outright replace my wheel bearings?

Brake Service:
5. Where can I source everything for the Rear Park brake? I do not want to spend $650+ on a kit. Seriously, is there not a more affordable way to Replace the Park brake assembly hardware, and Shoes?
6. Any reason why I should not rebuild calipers? Interestingly, it seems like most, tend to go the route of remans instead.
7. How can you achieve the best results from bleeding brakes. That is, do you use Techstream to bleed the ABS module, or are you activating the ABS module after bleeding using a sudden stop?

Tools & Extras:
8. Im going to purchase a Motive power bleed unit, and the Toyota MC adapter. Do I need anything else to to properly use the power bleeder tool? Any tips on using this power bleed setup, or others like it?
9. Any tools, or advice that you think I should have that are going to make this job easier?

I know this a lot, but I would like to have the best outcome & also I find some of these questions as interesting conversation:geek:

I have been reading a lot, thinking a lot, and there are still questions I have about the brake service on my 100 series. Of course, I'm trying to strike the balance of not breaking the bank (no pun intended), and doing a really thorough job. Questions might be elaborate, but this is the tech forum and Im pretty sure we like to talk about Land Cruiser stuff :D So here it goes:

Wheel Bearings & Snap Rings:
1. Do you use a puller tool to set snap ring gap? Seems like these tools are not cheap. Or.. Do you prefer to use a bolt/ homemade tool for this?
I make one if you're interested, you can check the link in my signature
2. Can/Should snap rings be reused?
The FSM labels snap rings as non-reusable. They can stretch over time especially if you take them on and off frequently. I've removed them once or twice with no problem but anymore than that and I'd recommend replacing. Might as well pick up a pack of new ones since they're cheap from @cruiseroutfit
3. Is snap ring gap always the same before, and after doing service like wheel bearings?
No, often times it can be different. Especially if you had a lot of play prior to the service
4. Any reason why I should not try repacking rather than outright replace my wheel bearings?
When was your last wheel bearing service? Even though the FSM also says that the bearings are non-reusable, often times people will elect to just clean & repack them. Just make sure you replace the drivers side bearing back in that specific hub because the bearings and races should not be mixed up between sides. IMHO if you're going to get that far into the front hubs might as well replace them with brand new.

Brake Service:
5. Where can I source everything for the Rear Park brake? I do not want to spend $650+ on a kit. Seriously, is there not a more affordable way to Replace the Park brake assembly hardware, and Shoes? A lot of people like partsouq.com they have great diagrams so you can order by part number
6. Any reason why I should not rebuild calipers? Interestingly, it seems like most, tend to go the route of remans instead. Remans are relatively cheap when you're comparing it to the labor involved with rebuilding calipers.
7. How can you achieve the best results from bleeding brakes. That is, do you use Techstream to bleed the ABS module, or are you activating the ABS module after bleeding using a sudden stop? Using Techstream is the easiest and safest, especially for folks that don't have an area to activate ABS nearby.

Tools & Extras:
8. Im going to purchase a Motive power bleed unit, and the Toyota MC adapter. Do I need anything else to to properly use the power bleeder tool? Any tips on using this power bleed setup, or others like it?
9. Any tools, or advice that you think I should have that are going to make this job easier? Get a brass drift. It's very helpful for knocking the cone washers out as well as the bearing races. Resurface or replace rotors with fresh pads. You might need new hardware if your old adjusting nuts, claw washer, thrust washer, etc... are heavily scored. @cruiseroutfit makes some awesome wheel bearings kits and they also have the assorted snap ring kits. Inspect your the splines on your hub flanges, that's the cause of a lot of clunks for some.

I know this a lot, but I would like to have the best outcome & also I find some of these questions as interesting conversation:geek:
^^Expand for my answers

Do you use a puller tool to set snap ring gap? Seems like these tools are not cheap. Or.. Do you prefer to use a bolt/ homemade tool for this?
Contact @TheForger

Can/Should snap rings be reused?
New only, every time. See Cruiser Outfitters for snap ring kit.

Is snap ring gap always the same before, and after doing service like wheel bearings?
No. Need to measure with feeler gauges.

Any reason why I should not try repacking rather than outright replace my wheel bearings?
Yes. Check old bearings for brand. If Koyo or Timken, then check bearings and races for scoring. If scored, replace. If any brand other than Koyo or Timken, then replace.

Where can I source everything for the Rear Park brake? I do not want to spend $650+ on a kit. Seriously, is there not a more affordable way to Replace the Park brake assembly hardware, and Shoes?
Partsouq for all new OEM Toyota parts on the cheap.

Any reason why I should not rebuild calipers? Interestingly, it seems like most, tend to go the route of remans instead.
Rebuild is cheaper and pretty easy to do if you have a bench vice and air compressor to pop the pistons out. New pistons, seal kit, pins, bolts etc are available from Partsouq.

How can you achieve the best results from bleeding brakes. That is, do you use Techstream to bleed the ABS module, or are you activating the ABS module after bleeding using a sudden stop?
Use Techstream. It will tell you what to do and activate the booster pump motor and ABS without you having to do anything other than open and close a bleeder screw. Super easy and best way to bleed brakes on 100s.

Im going to purchase a Motive power bleed unit, and the Toyota MC adapter. Do I need anything else to to properly use the power bleeder tool? Any tips on using this power bleed setup, or others like it?
Dont buy it. Techstream ($40), a Gatorade bottle, 10mm ID hose, and a flare nut wrench are all you need to do it properly. Use the $52 that you were going to spend on the Motive to buy OEM Toyota parts.

^^Expand for my answers
That Partsouq diagram is super helpful and more in the vein of what I am looking for. For the other brake service parts I have been using the TLCFAQ, which was super straight forward. The information for the Park brake service is not so prevalent on the internet.

On the topic of calipers, I am weary of parts store remans. IMO I don't see the quality control being as high as Toyota standards for reman. I'm not sure I see the value proposition, of labor cost either? How would you know you to replace the caliper if you did not inspect the seals, and piston condition?

Use Techstream. It will tell you what to do and activate the booster pump motor and ABS without you having to do anything other than open and close a bleeder screw. Super easy and best way to bleed brakes on 100s.

Dont buy it. Techstream ($40), a Gatorade bottle, 10mm ID hose, and a flare nut wrench are all you need to do it properly. Use the $52 that you were going to spend on the Motive to buy OEM Toyota parts.
Gotcha, so the entire brake bleed procedure, including the ABS module components can be completed using techstream on its own. I am glad I asked that question thank you! So, to clarify can one person perform the procedure or will it still require assistance using this method?

Gotcha, so the entire brake bleed procedure, including the ABS module components can be completed using techstream on its own. I am glad I asked that question thank you! So, to clarify can one person perform the procedure or will it still require assistance using this method?
If the Techstream cord was longer you could do it all yourself. Just need someone to read you the prompts, etc. while opening and closing bleeders when it tells you to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom