100 series front pad wear report. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiserdan

SupportingVendor Emeritus
Threads
Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
It was time to rotate the tires today so I checked the front pad thickness at the same time. This set has traveled an amazing 38,678 miles. New pads have about 11mm of friction material. My thinnest pad had about 6mm left.......:)

So they could possibly go damn near 75,000 miles before they expire......:eek:

A far cry from what I was getting out of the stockers......:cool:

D-

Sounds fantastic. Ive got to do my front rotors and pads soon. I will definately go with the 100 series pads.

CDan I was wondering and since there is already a 100 series pads thread right hear why take the time to search for hours? Will the hundred series pads work on 91 & 92's? If not what upgrade options are there out there?

Unfortunately they will not fit a 91-92. You could use 1997 80 series pads, that may give you more pad life.

Thanks for the report. I put the 100-series brake pads with new OEM rotors and I wasn't sure what to expect, but this is great news. I only have about 17k miles on my set and they are still like new.

No, different numbers. The early 100 pads that will fit the 80's are 04465-60151 replaced by 04465-60220. The Tundra pads for vehicles without the brake update are 04465-0C012 and the ones with the update are 04465-35290.

D-

CDan,

Have you found any less brake dust residue?

I just did not know if the material was different, or if the improvement is solely due to the larger surface area...

(washing the wheels weekly here)

100 series pads here, no brake dust on mine and It has been over a year since I truely cleaned my 80,

I have little dust. It has been a long time since I switched over but I seem to remember more dust with the other pads. It seems logical that since they are not disappearing anywhere near as fast they must no be generating as much dust.

peebles24 said:
CDan I was wondering and since there is already a 100 series pads thread right hear why take the time to search for hours? Will the hundred series pads work on 91 & 92's? If not what upgrade options are there out there?

The same 100 series pads that work on a 93-97 FZJ 80 will work on a 91-92 FJ80, but you need to grind off part of the housing. This has been done/documented by Land Pimp (Nom de Reality John Holmaas), including before/after pictures. Looks like you'll be searching after all. :D (Honestly, I don't recall where this info is located...)

Curtis

I'm running the 100 series pads on my 91 (p#04465-60020). I did have to grind along the angled bottom edges and a bit off the bottom (were it would contact the hub). Been working fine and very little brake dust. I did have to get the discs turned as the pads contacted more of the disc. And you will have to keep an eye on the wear a little closer as you will lose the wear indicators.

Thank you Curtis, but it was resolved. Thank you when I am ready for pads it will be a set of 100's, which set did you use?

Guess I need to start hard stopping more often.:whoops:

Gives me a reason to justify an expenditure.:cool:

Cool Info!

I am getting ready to rebuild my front end and was going to be asking about the brakes. I am going to upgrade the front rotors to the DBA's and was thinking of going with the Metallic 100 Series pads. Anyone care to share the pros and cons of Metallic? I dont drive the rig that much but i want to have the most stopping power possible when i do. Pad life is as crucial to me as stopping power. I have heard metallics stop better but wear the rotors faster, and i have heard thats a bunch of hoooey. Anyone care to chime in?

Either way, some sort of 100 pads are going on my rig! :D

Thanks

still wondering why it's supposedly necessary to turn the rotors before putting the 100 pads in there...
Yes, there is a small unworn ridge at the edge of the rotor, but so what? Either the ridge or the edge of the pad will wear out quickly.

Any new info on this?

cruiserdan said:
It was time to rotate the tires today so I checked the front pad thickness at the same time. This set has traveled an amazing 38,678 miles. New pads have about 11mm of friction material. My thinnest pad had about 6mm left.......:)

So they could possibly go damn near 75,000 miles before they expire......:eek:

A far cry from what I was getting out of the stockers......:cool:

D-

QUESTION: How does one order these pads? Last time I told the parts guy I wanted "100 Series pads" he was clueless and went onto say no one uses the description "80 or 100 series" anything in his experience. This at a Toyota dealership! Maybe by year is better?

well I did not turn my rotors but the PO had just had new ones installed shortly before I bought it, there was not much of a ridge, what was there disapeared.

If you have a well worn set of rotors with a noticable step I would get them turned.

cruiserdan said:
No, different numbers. The early 100 pads that will fit the 80's are 04465-60151 replaced by 04465-60220. The Tundra pads for vehicles without the brake update are 04465-0C012 and the ones with the update are 04465-35290.

D-

The scary thing is he did this from home and from memory:D

Dan convinced me last year to do the 100 series Pads when I rebuilt my front end. Thanks Dan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom