100 Series Factory Snorkel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in Tunisia right now and I noticed that most 80s and 100s have a type of snorkel that I haven't seen before.. after a quick visit to Toyota's agent it seems that these snorkels came installed on the 100s from the factory.. I'm trying to make sure that these snorkels would fit on an IFS V8 as the ones I see on the street are either diesel or I6 SFA versions..

anybody has seen those before? is the air filter/intake placement on the I6 or disel similar to the 100?

I have the part numbers and all, for now I've snapped a pic with my mobile for you guys.. once I'm back home I'll try to scan it.. I'll try to snap a pic of it on a 100 if I see one again on the street.. :)
T-snorkel.jpg

SamoL

price is not an issue.. I am considering this options as this snorkel seems more protected in heavy rain than the safari.. once you add the pre-cleaner to the safari which gives it better protection in heavy rain IMHO, it becomes uglier than the Toyota one :)

how is your safari snorkel in heavy rain? did you have to turn the top backwards during heavy rain?

Air ram on the top of Safari snorkel provides good water/air separation, so this was never a problem for me - even in heavy rain. Airbox also has a drain valve, so that all water that gets all the way to the airbox (and there shouldn't be a lot of it), can get out when you turn off the engine.

Regards

Samo

SamoL

thanks for the info.. I might reconsider the safari snorkel again.. being locally available in Kuwait is a plus for the safari snorkel..

for how long have you had the snorkel on your cruiser?

3 months. This includes a desert trip to Morocco. We also had some heavy rain (on the coast and not in the desert :) - 10 to 30 cm water on the streets). I didn't have any problems with dust or water in my airbox.

Regards

Samo

I live in Washington state......it rains ALOT here, had a Safari snorkle on my 80 series for almost 10 years, rain was never an issue, in the snow I would turn the intake around though.

SamoL & Landpimp

thanks guys.. I might end up going the safari route when I go back..

what did you guys do about the antenna?

SamoL said:
I have an amplified antenna on the inside of the windshield and I'm satisfied with it. No problems with branches any more ;).

Regards

Samo

Can you provide more information on this?
I’m not too happy with the reception I’m getting.
No, it’s not the music I listen too that’s bad. lol

Well - it's just a small antena behind the review mirror from a local car audio shop. The reception is at least as good as with the stock antenna. What mor can I say :)

Regards

Samo

I did the same thing on my 80 series, works good but it MUST be amplified.

SamoL said:
I have an amplified antenna on the inside of the windshield and I'm satisfied with it. No problems with branches any more ;).

Regards

Samo

hey there the info is great; i have an o6 now and got a safari one for my 99 but sold it when i sold my 99 do you know if the toyota one can keep the antena inplace??? i live in new jersey and florida and go thru water after storms many times. thanks

I don't think there are any snorkels that will keep the original antena. To do so, the snorkel must go arround the antenna on the outside of the fender, as inside there's just too little space.

Regards

Samo

r3run33 said:
hey there the info is great; i have an o6 now and got a safari one for my 99 but sold it when i sold my 99 do you know if the toyota one can keep the antena inplace??? i live in new jersey and florida and go thru water after storms many times. thanks
Try contacting Slee. I'm not sure if this is the original antenna or not.
DSC00058.jpg

SamoL said:
I don't think there are any snorkels that will keep the original antena. To do so, the snorkel must go arround the antenna on the outside of the fender, as inside there's just too little space.

Regards

Samo

The motor part of the stock antenna MUST come off, though that leaves you with a weak and poopy setup.

Very strong antenna modification here:

http://shottscruisers.smugmug.com/gallery/958323

44068983-M.jpg

Hi all,
these (Roca Silva) are made i Spain and look really cool. If I ever install a snorkel, it will be this one. My wife won't allow anything uglier ;)

http://almeria.paginasdeoro.com/rocasilva/snorkel3.html

The only issue is that they are made of fiber glass polyester, I think. This is more fragile, but it's more of a problem in the woods than in open spaces.

That is cool looking very Dakar looking but big $$$. Does anyone notice any extra wind noise with the ARB unit on the highway?

subspd said:
That is cool looking very Dakar looking but big $$$. Does anyone notice any extra wind noise with the ARB unit on the highway?

The extra wind noise is minimal. I get more noise from the weather shield on the drivers door!
cheers
peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom