100 Series Diff's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Could not find an answer to this question anywhere.
Iv been asked several times, specially when wheeling "are the diffs on my 2006 LC, Dana 44's"
They are stock with lockers and re-geared but I have no clue.
Are they proprietary to Toyota? if so are they the equivalent to a D-44?
First question ever, thanks for the bashing :)

The 100 series axle is a Toyota only thing. I'd say it is more comparable to a Dana 60 than a Dana 44 based on specs.

Jeep guys love the parts of their jeeps that weren't made by jeep - Dana axles, Dana t-case, Borg Warner trans, Buick V8... they're the parts that last the longest!

Must have been asked by Jeepers... :hillbilly:

Toyota 9.5" in the rear and 8" in the front. These refer to the diameter of the ring gear. To my knowledge they share no commonality with Dana axles.
Actually yes, the three times iv been asked that question was from jeep guys. One actually suggested I "upgrade" to Dana 44's so I dont run the risk of breaking while wheeling. LMAO!!!

Overseas some Cruisers actually came with Dana axles, not that any Jeep owner would know that but just to let you guys know.
This is a FZJ71. Don't know about 100's as they are extremely rare down in Venezuela (never got produced here, the 80 didn't end production in 97 but rather in 2007)

20230303_151742.jpg

20230303_151740.jpg

Overseas some Cruisers actually came with Dana axles, not that any Jeep owner would know that but just to let you guys know.
This is a FZJ71. Don't know about 100's as they are extremely rare down in Venezuela (never got produced here, the 80 didn't end production in 97 but rather in 2007)

View attachment 3263087

View attachment 3263088
Looks like a modded SWB 71 series. The configuration of this one is a leaf-over-axle whilst all 70 series (correct me if I’m wrong) are leaf-under-axle off the production line. I had opportunity to own three 70 series in the past one is an FRP HZJ73 aka mickey mouse and two 76 series Rebirth on 1HDFTE and all three are on leaf-under-axles configuration. Nonetheless this is a beautiful 71..

Not all Land Cruisers were made in Japan.... the Dana axle on that South American 70 series is original.

Not all Land Cruisers were made in Japan.... the Dana axle on that South American 70 series is original.
Thanks Hoser now I’m curious the story behind and scouring through the web for more photos.

Here's some fuel for your searches, the Dana rear axle 70 series came from the Land Cruiser factory in Venezuela. They were made mostly of parts manufactured in Japan but fitted with some local parts, most noticeably the interior and drivetrain. South Americans were also able to order Japan built 70 series but they were much higher in price and so not as common to find. As said, the 80 series was manufactured down there until 2007.

The "Banderiente" was the Brazilian 40 series with a Mercedes Engine... some with square headlights.

cbw_20070418_Brazil_01807.jpg

One of my 70 series was built in Portugal at the Salvador Caetano plant. It originally came with a horrible Italian manufactured VM Motori Engine.

36271-28bd2b634137c8d88983f4187d4c7e4b.jpg

There may have been some 100 series manufactured outside of Japan but I've never seen proof of one.

Edit: Seventy 2006 LC100's produced out of Vietnam? China shows some too. :meh:

Screen Shot 2023-03-04 at 7.59.32 AM.png

And another supporting document.... but it doesn't say "Land Cruiser 100" specifically. It says "Land Cruiser and Land Cruiser Prado."

Screen Shot 2023-03-04 at 9.03.33 AM.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom