100 Series Cupholders - DIY (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We all know the cupholders on the 100 Series SUCK!

Mine even has the cup holder insert, which also SUCKS.

The main reason is that the cup holders aren't deep enough to really hold anything.

I wonder if crappy cup holders were just part of the Toyota design philosophy?

I haven't owned a Toyota newer than 2000, so I'm hoping things have changed, as I'll be looking at buying a 200 series in 20 years when I can afford one.

I've owned Land Cruisers (60, 80, 100), 4Runner, MR2, and AE86. Guess what they all had in common...crappy to no cupholders. lol

With that being said, I'm creating this thread to document my DIY journey into creating a DECENT cup holder.

I plan on posting pics, videos, and if I can find a way I'll post some sort of template.

DISCLAIMER:
I am no engineer. Have some tools. Suck at measuring things. BUT I am pretty handy.

Here's the LATEST iteration:

Last edited:
Half a coozie

389803DD-1769-4781-B8B8-2DA75753C8FC.jpeg

Looks like you could use your same method to just cut holes in the stock lid? Then the contours would fit perfectly. :)

I though that, but I like keeping all the OEM stuff when I make mods, so I can always revert back.

And there's a metal bracket that runs through the middle of it. It's part of the hinge.

Last edited:
Someone in another thread on the same subject cut a 3 or 4 inch section of thick rubber hose and just stuck it in the existing cup holders. I’m happy enough with the little adapter but his idea looked like the best I’d seen. The half coozie up above also looks good. Both seem far superior to anything fabricated to me.

Someone in another thread on the same subject cut a 3 or 4 inch section of thick rubber hose and just stuck it in the existing cup holders. I’m happy enough with the little adapter but his idea looked like the best I’d seen. The half coozie up above also looks good. Both seem far superior to anything fabricated to me.
I ended up reading more last night & finding that a guy used his FJ cruiser cup holder rubber inserts… my wife happens to drive an FJ so my problem
Is solved. Ended up going on Etsy & ordering her some to match her color & stealing her black ones.

Good fit, I just needed something to hold a tumbler or beer tight on the trail. Also, if you go this route they sell OEM cruiser inserts on Amazon for $30/pair or less if I’m not mistaken

Any idea if the FJ inserts will fit the 03+? And can the lid still close?
I ordered a pair from Amazon. They work for my 07. But the lid can't close anymore.
They even work with the original middle separator.
They work great for regular plastic Arrowhead type water bottles, but are too small for the ThermoFlask type of 24oz bottles I bought from Costco.

Last edited:
I ordered a pair from Amazon. They work for my 07. But the lid can't close anymore.
They even work with the original middle separator.
They work great for regular plastic Arrowhead type water bottles, but are too small for the ThermoFlask type of 24oz bottles I bought from Costco.

For my ThermoFlask type of larger bottles to fit, I bought a set of cupholder expanders to put in the FJ Cruiser rubber inserts. So now in the center console there are the original LC cupholders, then FJ rubber inserts, and finally the expanders... :beer::beer:
Toyota should really understand that cupholder is the number one thing most US customers care about... 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom