100 Series Cranking on its own (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2001 100 Series, 225 k super clean truck.

My Daughter got home from college and parked in the driveway. The alarm went off and I went outside and the truck was cranking on its own intermittently. Appeared to have drained the battery and was setting off the alarm.

Charged the battery after disconnecting the positive terminal. If I plug in the starter relay on the fuse block it cranks on its own, if the ignition is on or off. I am getting 10 volts to the trigger leg of the starter relay and if I power up the starter leg with a wire it cranks and starts. After its started by jumping the relay it runs fine but if I shift into drive the truck dies. If I shift quickly from reverse to drive with my foot on the gas it goes into drive. Lots of lights on the dash, so I am suspecting it is some weird electrical issue. After a reset it is only showing the AT temp light but I checked fluid and it shows no signs of being hot, bright red and clean.

D on the cluster has been out since we owned the truck but I always assumed bulb since the others work.

She just did a 400 mile drive home. No issues for the last 12k miles / 2 years with the truck.

I ordered the ignition relay and neutral safety switch. Just need an idea if I am on the right track.

Last edited:
You sure there's no aftermarket wiring on it? No previous alarm or remote start install?
Nope, except for an aftermarket head unit installed when we got it. It was a non navigation equipped truck and we put a reverse camera radio on it.

Key out the excite leg of the starter relay is at 0 volts. Key in now its between 2.6 and 4v. Goes to 0 when I shift into Reverse or a forward gear.

Last edited:
maybe replace the whole fuse box as a precaution
Seems a bit excessive. I am leaning towards the relay or Gear switch. This truck has zero corrosion on it so it must be that or a wire rubbed somewhere or a worn switch.

I wish I could find a diagram of what energizes the starter relay in the fusebox and see where the potential issue is.

I wish I could find a diagram of what energizes the starter relay in the fusebox and see where the potential issue is.
It would be pretty amazing, if Toyota actually published a book, with that kind of information…

It would be pretty amazing, if Toyota actually published a book, with that kind of information…

LOL, this happened in the driveway at 9pm last night so we are in triage mode. If anyone knows where I can buy a pdf that would be great.

Last edited:
Thanks downloading. I replaced the relay and it seems to be working normally but I am still going to replace the gear switch as well. Will advise what I find.

For what its worth the new starter relay, Toyota brand, fixed the issue.
Thanks for posting your issue. I have a similar problem with my 2000 LX. Driving home from work, about 40 minute drive, 2 miles from home dash lights went out except for AT/temp on. Made it home, turned off the ignition and the starter was still running. I quickly disconnected the battery. Starter would engage when I put the terminal on the battery. dBuddy suggested it was probably the selenoid stuck on the starter. I replaced the starter and put the battery terminal on and same thing. I took the starter relay out and looked at it and it appears to be fine and doesn't smell burnt. Did you take the cover off the starter relay and notice anything that would make you think it was bad? I don't want to drop money on a relay if that is not the issue.

How much does the relay cost?
$80.29 +shipping from Bell Lexus. 2000 Lexus LX 470 Starter Relay. Whether - 2830046010 | Bell Lexus North Scottsdale, Scottsdale AZ - https://parts.belllexusnorthscottsdale.com/p/Lexus_2000_LX-470/Starter-Relay/63063430/2830046010.html
I guess I could order a couple of oil filters to get it over $100 and get free shipping. Just didn't want to waste money. BTW if you guys don't know about Bell Lexus and their online parts department, you should check them out. I live in FL and when I spend over $100 I get free shipping and I don't pay tax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom