100 series cargo barriers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads
Website
www.durangomagazine.com
Edit 6/9/10: Worked on the 100 series prototype today. Added a pic of the progress. Barrier hoop design is finished unless mounting brackets force a change in dimensions. First pic is the 100 series barrier hoop hung in place for reference. Rest of the pics are examples my 80 series barrier.

I'm planning to design a cargo barrier for the rear of the 100 series Cruisers. I plan to model it after my 80 series barrier. But I need to know, over the years have the grab handles for the 3rd row changed or are they all the same 98-07? Were there any other major interior changes to the cargo area of the 100 series I should be aware of. The rig I have access to is a 2001 I believe.
100 series barrier 005.jpg
004.jpg
DSCN7135.jpg

Last edited:
I think the grab handles are all the same, but some early 100 series didn't have the rear AC with the ducting in the roof.

Those like pretty good. Just a thought though, you might want to consider making the bottom come down further so that if it gets pushed on, the seat back is stopping it instead of the headrest.

Off topic, but whats up with the leather on the 100, it looks different?

I think the grab handles are all the same, but some early 100 series didn't have the rear AC with the ducting in the roof.

Could someone post pics of a rear AC equiped rig and one without. Thanks

Those like pretty good. Just a thought though, you might want to consider making the bottom come down further so that if it gets pushed on, the seat back is stopping it instead of the headrest.

Off topic, but whats up with the leather on the 100, it looks different?

Easy to have the lower cross bar located below level of seats. I considered this. On the flip side the lower the barrier the less space below it to haul stuff. You can also see I have a set of MTX boxes under mine. When I build my drawers this summer they will be a little taller than my platform. As is, I should still be able to get my boxes to sit under the barrier. But long story short, yes a lower cross bar could be benificial in the event of an accident.

Yes, I have seat covers over my leather and the pics are of my 80 series.

I have been working on the same thing but not to worry you will most likely have a 200 series by the time I come up with something.

Grab handles are different between my '99 and '06 everything else seems to be exactly the same in the back otherwise. The later years both side are the same (both handles point down).

I can post pictures tomorrow if needed. Both of mine has rear AC FWIW.

I like your 1/3 height design. I would also like to see tool-less bolts so it can be dismounted without digging for tools. Some barriers have "accordion" mounts to absorb the shock of an impact.

I have been working on the same thing but not to worry you will most likely have a 200 series by the time I come up with something.

Grab handles are different between my '99 and '06 everything else seems to be exactly the same in the back otherwise. The later years both side are the same (both handles point down).

I can post pictures tomorrow if needed. Both of mine has rear AC FWIW.

I'd appreciate the pics thanks.

I like your 1/3 height design. I would also like to see tool-less bolts so it can be dismounted without digging for tools. Some barriers have "accordion" mounts to absorb the shock of an impact.

I've considered the tool-less fastners but personally prefer the proper bolts. I'll price out the other and offer it as an option? Currently a 5mm allen is all that is required for install and removal. The accordion idea is excellent but well beyond my current tooling and engineering skills.

I can snap some detailed pictures of the rear ac and contours of the roof if you need, probably won't be as much help as looking at one but a good start.

I can snap some detailed pictures of the rear ac and contours of the roof if you need, probably won't be as much help as looking at one but a good start.

Yes, I'll definitely need to see one in peson but if I can get a couple of shots looking in the rear cargo door maybe I can determine if 2 models will be required or can I design one as a universal fit?

Also Phil mentioned a change in grab handle. That could complicate things if the location of captured nuts were moved too.

I managed to get the design of the main hoop done today. After a few hours of brainstorming and trial and error I think I have a design for a mounting system that will work. It will take more time designing, and will have to be farmed out for production.

But here are the pics of progress so far.
100 series barrier 002.jpg
100 series barrier 003.jpg
100 series barrier 005.jpg

That is looking good. So, when you have this finished, are you making a sound proof barrier for insertion between the front and second row? Would be helpful with my 4 kids!:p

i have to agree with pman in post number 3.

You dont want the headrests to take the load because they wont.

Over here in Oz something like that has to comply with ADRs - hazy memory is Australian Design Rules...for that, but there are companies here that already make what you want and they are seriously cheap and comply with ADRs.

Do a google search for "cargo barriers" and you'll get a lot of hits. But remember that quality does cost and you dont want to compromise on safety.
cheers
peter

Over here in Oz something like that has to comply with ADRs - hazy memory is Australian Design Rules...for that, but there are companies here that already make what you want and they are seriously cheap and comply with ADRs.

If they were available in the US I would not be making these. The only thing we really have available are really cheap universal fit "dog Barriers" that generally get wedged between the floor and headliner.

yeah fair enough.

but those vents in the roof...wow...i'll have to checkout some Lexus' over here and have a look. How bizarre. There's no sauna or steam room in the back is there?
hehe
cheers
peter

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom