100 series as a first vehicle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok so, Im 14 currently, and have a rusted out 100. My parents are coming up with some possibilities towards fixing the truck, buying another one, or giving me their '07 FJC. What would be your opinionon a Hundy for my first vehicle?
Thanks

take the FJC as the price is right
haha. Its currently broken though, due to one bolt on the suspension stopping it from coming off. The front shcks are shot.

Sell the cruiser. Save from now til 16, fly south with pops and buy a rust free version. Take a trip home together, rust proof the hell out of it, and enjoy it.

That's what I'd do if I were you with what appear to be parents like mine....generous as hell and willing to do/support something cool like this. I hate rust and I'm willing to travel to avoid it.

Your first car is supposed to be a rusted out POS.
Keep the 100.

Yep. My first car was a 15 year old 6-cylinder BMW with a manual transmission, non-working AC and a giant hole torn into the drivers side seat bolster.

God I loved that thing.

Stick with the rusted 100 for a couple of years and learn how to work on cars with it. Then when it s***s the bed, you'll have figured out what you want in your next vehicle.

If your first car is to nice you will not appreciate it or any care after it. You will expect every car you ever own to be better than it and you will dump it at the first sign of trouble.

Take the old beater, learn to work on it. Learn to stretch that last 1/4 tank of fuel for two weeks. You will be thankful in the long run.
Not to mention you can hold more chicks in the 100 vs the FJ.

If your first car is to nice you will not appreciate it or any care after it.

I disagree. Starting out with a nicer car doesn’t mean one won’t appreciate it or any future car- if a person is unappreciative, this happened before they turned 16......

If it were me, I would enjoy the hell out of the rusty 100 and offroad it like no other. Save some $ for a FSM and baseline the rig over the next 2 years and you will enjoy!

Sounds like if you play your cards right you could end up with the 100 AND the FJC. Keep the 100 and don't be afraid to bang it around. Commute in the FJC.

I disagree. Starting out with a nicer car doesn’t mean one won’t appreciate it or any future car- if a person is unappreciative, this happened before they turned 16......

If it were me, I would enjoy the hell out of the rusty 100 and offroad it like no other. Save some $ for a FSM and baseline the rig over the next 2 years and you will enjoy!
looking at patching the rust, fixing the brakes and other maintenance needed, a OME lift, ARB bull bar, sliders, and a navigation system in it.

From someone in a similar position (not my first car, but I'm just also young compared to everyone else here, probably) I'm of the consensus that says keep it. You're still fairly young and won't have your license for a good two years. Spend that time learning (a whole lot) and fixing the truck to have something sweet by then, that should last you a long while. It will be yours, and you'll have a great story to go along with it. But you'll have a great deal of pride in something you did.

Going with the FJC is probably the easier path. And don't feel bad if you do that, because I totally could not blame you. From someone who (very fortunately) got their first car given to them, looking back now (which isn't that far) I sorta wish I could have had a pile to fix and learn on instead of waiting til now.

Sorry for the rant lol

looking at patching the rust, fixing the brakes and other maintenance needed, a OME lift, ARB bull bar, sliders, and a navigation system in it.
That sounds awesome, but start slow. Spend all your money and time on baselining and maintenance, with a few cheap but functional appearance mods (remove side steps, eliminate mudflaps, do a small body lift etc.) to keep yourself motivated without going broke. The 100 series is a great and very reliable rig, but it was never cheap and catching up on deferred maintenance can bleed you dry if you don't have a whole lot of disposable income.

That FJC may not be ideal for a new driver. The visibility - particularly rear - is pretty awful. That's the only reason it got cut from my list - currently shopping for my 15-year-old daughter's first car

That sounds awesome, but start slow. Spend all your money and time on baselining and maintenance, with a few cheap but functional appearance mods (remove side steps, eliminate mudflaps, do a small body lift etc.) to keep yourself motivated without going broke. The 100 series is a great and very reliable rig, but it was never cheap and catching up on deferred maintenance can bleed you dry if you don't have a whole lot of disposable income.
Yeah that's pretty much my plan. Get it road worthy, and then upgrade it slowly

Reactions: BEG
From someone in a similar position (not my first car, but I'm just also young compared to everyone else here, probably) I'm of the consensus that says keep it. You're still fairly young and won't have your license for a good two years. Spend that time learning (a whole lot) and fixing the truck to have something sweet by then, that should last you a long while. It will be yours, and you'll have a great story to go along with it. But you'll have a great deal of pride in something you did.

Going with the FJC is probably the easier path. And don't feel bad if you do that, because I totally could not blame you. From someone who (very fortunately) got their first car given to them, looking back now (which isn't that far) I sorta wish I could have had a pile to fix and learn on instead of waiting til now.

Sorry for the rant lol
I dont mind the rants, because their full of information lol

Keep the 100, learn to work on cars, one of the best skill I’ve ever learned. The worst skill I’ve ever learn was how to juggle. Useless

Not to mention you can hold more chicks in the 100 vs the FJ.

My philosophy for both Trucks and Women is: Quality is better than Quantity.

However, if we go strictly by 'payload' capacity, the 100 series enjoys about a 500 lb. advantage, so that would (hopefully) equate to at least 3 more 'chicks'. ;)

Seriously, the young man would do fine with either vehicle. Time spent base-lining either one would serve to teach him how to work on them and give him a greater appreciation for it. I would steer him toward the FJ...for its more modern technology and sportiness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom