100 series as a first vehicle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@CBeckFJ Did you ever hear back from Cruiser Solutions on a price to replace the frame?

looking at patching the rust, fixing the brakes and other maintenance needed, a OME lift, ARB bull bar, sliders, and a navigation system in it.

Age 14? Holy smokes, drive the beast but save your money for gas and opening a savings/retirement account.

Wow! Is insurance really that outrageous on such an old vehicle for a kid? Is that full or just collision? State mins or better? Just curious. I'd have thought it'd be rather cheap on an old rig but I've no clue, clearly.

With full comp/coll coverages, everything to the max, glass, the 01 100 has by far been the cheapest vehicle to insure AND register, one benefit of being old I guess. Even the 200 isn't all that much insurancewise, (registrations another story) and I have to carry the same levels on all our vehicles per ins company.

Ha, yup. I'm nearly 19 with nothing on my record and pay $280/mo.

Wow! Is insurance really that outrageous on such an old vehicle for a kid? Is that full or just collision? State mins or better? Just curious. I'd have thought it'd be rather cheap on an old rig but I've no clue, clearly.

With full comp/coll coverages, everything to the max, glass, the 01 100 has by far been the cheapest vehicle to insure AND register, one benefit of being old I guess. Even the 200 isn't all that much insurancewise, (registrations another story) and I have to carry the same levels on all our vehicles per ins company.

Yeah, it's awful. That's full coverage. My 2006 G35 was $301/mo, and I surely thought getting something older it would have gone down drastically but I was sorely mistaken. Registration was nearly $600.

Not gonna lie, if I was aware (my fault to a point I guess) it would have been that much I would have gotten a s***box XJ or something but what can I do. I just take it as it is and pray each year it'll go down.

BTW, I think it's great that you young guys @CBeckFJ @mrahc are into these 100 series and on the forum. I think it's a great first vehicle - the only downside might be the $60 fill ups as you run back and forth to school, job, and sports.

BTW, I think it's great that you young guys @CBeckFJ @mrahc are into these 100 series and on the forum. I think it's a great first vehicle - the only downside might be the $60 fill ups as you run back and forth to school, job, and sports.

Surprisingly, the fill ups have been.. 'better' than I thought; the V6 in my G35 (VQ35) was an absolute gas guzzler, paired with the AWD model, so I was pretty used to it.

I'd say being a young(er) person/Cruiser owner is both great and absolutely awful at times. I think the biggest downside, is not really having the income I'd like, to maintain or mod the way I'd like. But I do what I can with what I have, and the learning aspect of it (I'm in a position where I'd say I'm knowledgeable to an extent with cars, but have no real 'wrenching hours') is invaluable to me. I'm just lucky to have been in a position to have gotten a Cruiser so early in life. Hell, I really could have ended up with a Jeep, or worse -- a Discovery :rofl:

Hell, I really could have ended up with a Jeep, or worse -- a Discovery :rofl:

Or my first car - 1980 Chevy Citation White on vinyl green. Yep, total chick magnet :( Trust me, you're light years ahead with a Hundy even if you don't have the money to mod it right now.

Or my first car - 1980 Chevy Citation White on vinyl green. Yep, total chick magnet :( Trust me, you're light years ahead with a Hundy even if you don't have the money to mod it right now.

Peak Malaise Era (for the most part) right there. I'd probably still drive and enjoy it but I'm also really weird when it comes to taste in vehicles. I wish I lived through the days of colored interiors lol

100 series gets my vote!

When I turned 16, my mom gave me her old Honda Accord to drive and got herself a used 100 series with 99k miles on it. I loved driving it every chance I got. By the time I got out of college, she was not using the LC as her daily driver so I convinced her to take my vehicle at the time; sell it, keep the money and let me have the Cruiser. Fast forward 10 years from that, and that 100 series is still my DD. I have 268,000 miles on it and have no intentions of retiring it anytime soon.

I've driven several other vehicles off and on over the years, and I have always come back to the Cruiser. It's a beast. I am fond of other Cruiser series and some other vehicles in general, but it is hard to beat the luxury, ruggedness and durability you get in a 100.

My first vehicle was a 1969 scout international. Floor was rusted out but I enjoyed every minute of fixing it and it did not feel so bad when it got new dents. Keep the 100 and enjoy learning how to fix it. You will learn how to do that on this site

I've always been a car nut, since I was a kid. I was the kid who would sit in the back seat and read off ads from Classic Car Trader to my increasingly-annoyed mother all the time. I was purchased a junior membership to the AACA by the local chapter president when I was 10 because I was able to tell him every detail about his 1958 Corvette.

My first car was a gorgeous SC400. I kept it for 10 years and took *excellent* care of it. People think kids need cheap cars to start with because they won't appreciate them, but I call that BS when you're talking about a young person who has enough of an interest to find a forum, learn from it, etc.

Having said all of that... I'd do it again with a beater car at 16. I loved my car and loved that I had something so nice at 16, but it also left me sort of 'out' from some of the fun that comes with getting your first set of wheels. Nobody wants to ride with the guy who won't let them lean against the fender, bring food or drinks into the car, put their feet on the dash, lift the trunk by the spoiler.... If I ever had kids, they are getting junkers to start and they'll have to learn with me how to get them road worthy.

Last edited:
Keep the cruiser. Drive it into the ground then start looking for a better one when you turn 16. Keep the fj too.

UPDATE
The FJC will most likely either be used as my moms winter DD and 4wheeling rig. The 100 will most likely end up as my first car, and fixing it would require a frame swap, and its about $6000.

yea , at that point it would be a poor choice as there is most likely more rust, sell it for parts and start shopping for a southern truck.

Yikes . That'd be a tough pill to swallow just to get a solid frame under a truck.
considering the amount of labor involved, its not horrible. But patching it would be more cost effective.

A frame swap? Nope. Get something else. I am so glad I do not live in a state where we do inspections.

Your first car should be cheap enough that it does not require full coverage car insurance. You should not need full coverage until after you graduate college or exit the military.

A frame swap? Nope. Get something else. I am so glad I do not live in a state where we do inspections.

Your first car should be cheap enough that it does not require full coverage car insurance. You should not need full coverage until after you graduate college or exit the military.
Yeah, we're going down south next summer to look for a 98-99 with a torn up interior, swap the good parts out, and do some small mods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom