100 Series 1HD-FTE black smoke on acceleration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I have a 100 series LC Amazon, 2003, 4.2TD, current mileage 151,000 miles. Its been maintained well and never had an issue until 6 weeks ago.

i had an injector problem where 3 out of the 6 weren’t firing, so i decided ro replace with new nozzles (aftermarket). Pressures were set to 185 as per the repair manual for the1HD engine. Once installed, i notices that under acceleration its blowing out some black smoke which it never did before, and Im now worried that something serious is wrong.

Any help and guidance would be appreciated.

Given the fact your problem has occurred after changing the injectors I would start there. Were you blowing black smoke before changing those 3 injectors? Are the injector lines correctly routed to the correct injector from the IP?

what aftermarket brand injectors are they? Might have been better to get your old ones professionally reconditioned. How did you initially determine 3 injectors weren't firing? These are relatively simple injectors. Not firing could have indicated a blockage. But personally these trucks will run on poor fuel fine compared with the direct injection motors.

Black smoke points to over fueling. Or lack of air. Did you remove the intake when changing the injectors? Make sure everything is buttoned up well.

Also 150k on a set of injectors isn't a lot for them to wear beyond spec. Lots of people on stock injectors with 250k miles +.

Given the fact your problem has occurred after changing the injectors I would start there. Were you blowing black smoke before changing those 3 injectors? Are the injector lines correctly routed to the correct injector from the IP?

what aftermarket brand injectors are they? Might have been better to get your old ones professionally reconditioned. How did you initially determine 3 injectors weren't firing? These are relatively simple injectors. Not firing could have indicated a blockage. But personally these trucks will run on poor fuel fine compared with the direct injection motors.

Black smoke points to over fueling. Or lack of air. Did you remove the intake when changing the injectors? Make sure everything is buttoned up well.

Also 150k on a set of injectors isn't a lot for them to wear beyond spec. Lots of people on stock injectors with 250k miles +.

Hi Beau, thanks for prompt response, the autoshop i gave it to, called me in to have a look at how the injectors were behaving, they had removed the injectors from the engine, and positioned them upright , they then cranked the engine and showed me the three injectors not firing. Thats when they said I needed new ones. As to the brand of the nozzles, i bought them off ebay for 99GBP. Unfortunately based in Malawi (Africa), we dont really have a good shop that can do reconditioning of injectors, we are always forced to get new ones

i’ll pass by the autoshop tomorrow and ask them the questions about the intake and routing of the pipes from the IP.

So did they replace just the nozzles, or the complete injector? If for example the internal spring is broken a new injector nozzle won't do anything. Did they test the new ones before putting them in the car?

You can probably find a IP fuel line routing online to double check the lines.

Hi Beau, thanks for prompt response, the autoshop i gave it to, called me in to have a look at how the injectors were behaving, they had removed the injectors from the engine, and positioned the. upright , they then cranked the engine and showed me the three injectors not firing. Thats whej they said I needed new ones. As to the brand of the nozzles, i bought them off ebay for 99GBP.
So did they replace just the nozzles, or the complete injector? If for example the internal spring is broken a new injector nozzle won't do anything. Did they test the new ones before putting them in the car?

Only Nozzles were replaced and were tested, i’ll look Up the routing for the IP and will het them to check the lines while im there standing over them. Im attaching the images of the new nozzles and the spec.

F2A525F5-B010-413A-B015-78CBCC64F18A.jpeg

E263C9C9-2799-49E3-8D12-F12AB083DBDC.png

Hi Beau, thanks for prompt response, the autoshop i gave it to, called me in to have a look at how the injectors were behaving, they had removed the injectors from the engine, and positioned the. upright , they then cranked the engine and showed me the three injectors not firing. Thats whej they said I needed new ones. As to the brand of the nozzles, i bought them off ebay for 99GBP.

Only Nozzles were replaced and were tested, i’ll look Up the routing for the IP and will get them to check the lines while im there standing over them. Im attaching the images of the new nozzles and the spec.

Only Nozzles were replaced and were tested, i’ll look Up the routing for the IP and will het them to check the lines while im there standing over them. Im attaching the images of the new nozzles and the spec.

View attachment 2416812

View attachment 2416813
Ok so this afternoon went to the autoshop to check on the LC, and to ask the questions i had in mind, when i got there it was parked outside looking all clean and washed, the manager said it was ready to go, i was excited but then i insisted that i take it for a test drive first before signing any paperwork or even paying.
anyway, its struggled to start, it took 2 attempts and started up, it took out a good puff Of white smoke then went back to normal (No smoke) Idle was at 600rpm but prior to changing nozzles it sat at 800rpm, (maybe they adjusted it, i didnt ask) so i decided to take it for a drive anyway, boy o boy, there was no pulling, rev at 3000 rpm and it was sluggish,it barely got to 30mph! appalling performance, the truck is now worse off. Black smoke still there...
The other thing i noticed was that when you gently takeoff there is a noise, like something is locked/grinding and then once you het to 30mph it disappears. Its worst when ur on a incline and stationary but in Drive, then there is a vibration Like somethijg is seriously wrong, if i move it from D to N, vibration stops... re engage D vibration starts, once u accelerate gently and get to 30mph that also disappears.

So, after paying 20% of the bill, and arguing, I decided to collect the car and bring it home,im really disappointed with the Autoshop that handled my truck, its gone from bad to worse. im going to have to get to the bottom of this in my free time, with help from this platform. Im able to do basic checks and am not a full on mechanic, but im sure with guidance i can sort it out.

Post a thread here: Land Cruiser Club

A lot more people familiar with the diesel lump compared to this forum.

It's obvious though that the injectors are the problem. You need to get hold of 4 new working one, along with new seals and change them. Running on bad injectors can cause further engine damage.

550-650 rpm is the normal idle speed on these (will be higher, 800'ish if the AC is on). It's not adjustable (nothing else is) as the fuel delivery system is 100% EFI.
Some smoke on heavy acceleration is normal, I wouldn't be worried about it if powerwise it feels good.
I have ~550k km's on my factory injectors. What wears out most of the time is the fuel pump itself, and it can result in stalling / poor WOT performance / check engine light. It's very expensive to rebuild (and is not a straigh-forward job, even in europe very few can do it right + Toyota doesn't sell parts for it, they (the rebuild shop) kind of have to source it from Denso), and a new one is also very expensive. It is the Achillies heel of the FTE.
Also injectors should be tested on a test-stand, and not with the engines fuel pump.
That said, it might be as 'easy' as a faulty sensor in the intake, or a clogged intake.
Mine also starts up very easily - like half a rotation of the engine at most, so if it takes more than a second to crank, then something is not okay.

Hi guys, sorry for going all quiet, so around 5 days ago, i decided to drain oil from the engine, it poured out almost 20 ltrs!!! Yes.. 20 ltrs. It looks like the autoshop that was servicing my car and sorting injectors really f***d up.
anyway, I replaced the oil filter and re filled the oil 15w40 10ltrs, and gues what... it sorted out the rough idling, and the very rough take off!! I was happy until today....rough take off is back...excitement gone... back to the drawing board.

Hi guys, sorry for going all quiet, so around 5 days ago, i decided to drain oil from the engine, it poured out almost 20 ltrs!!! Yes.. 20 ltrs. It looks like the autoshop that was servicing my car and sorting injectors really f***d up.
anyway, I replaced the oil filter and re filled the oil 15w40 10ltrs, and gues what... it sorted out the rough idling, and the very rough take off!! I was happy until today....rough take off is back...excitement gone... back to the drawing board.
Probably leaking diesel at the spill line (rail) at the injectors under the valve cover. There are washers (seals) there that needs to be replaced every time when touched.

Probably a good idea to replace the seal (o-ring?) where the spill pipe exits the cylinder head as well while in there.

Probably a good idea to replace the seal (o-ring?) where the spill pipe exits the cylinder head as well while in there.
Perfect, i’ll order the parts and the o rings, should i change the injector seats? (copper washers)

Perfect, i’ll order the parts and the o rings, should i change the injector seats? (copper washers)
If you want to pull the injectors, then yes. But if those had been replaced before and you haven’t pulled the injectors since, then no. You don’t have to pull the injectors in order to replace the spill seals. You don’t have to remove the feed pipes either (from the side)

If you want to pull the injectors, then yes. But if those had been replaced before and you haven’t pulled the injectors since, then no. You don’t have to pull the injectors in order to replace the spill seals. You don’t have to remove the feed pipes either (from the side)
Noted, will order the copper washers just to keep in case, but will only replace the o rings and seals u’ve advised. Will update once this has been fitted ... thanks @l3n0x

If you decide to pull the injectors to replace the copper seals as well (great idea if you have reinstalled the old ones the last time, as they are also non reusable), then my advice is to also replace the rubber seals where the feed pipes connect to the injector. Pn 23681-17010
But. If you have replaced the copper washers (fire rings) before, you can get away replacing the leak rail seals without pulling the manifold and the fuel pipes.

If you decide to pull the injectors to replace the copper seals as well (great idea if you have reinstalled the old ones the last time, as they are also non reusable), then my advice is to also replace the rubber seals where the feed pipes connect to the injector. Pn 23681-17010
But. If you have replaced the copper washers (fire rings) before, you can get away replacing the leak rail seals without pulling the manifold and the fuel pipes.
All parts ordered, but due to covid... delivery towards the end of the month. Will update as soon as the work has been carried out... 👍🏼

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom