1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

100 owners: what's the big empty space under the hood?

Discussion in '100-Series Cruisers' started by e9999, Oct 21, 2003.

1. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

was checking a 2000 LC today (yahoo, what a beaut!) and was surprised to see a big empty space under the hood, on the RHS just ahead of the firewall, about 1 cu ft completely empty with a harness there and an empty plug. Is there supposed to be something there?
    thanksyall
    Eric

2. 80and100cruisers

80and100cruisers SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
  3. e9999

4. 80and100cruisers

80and100cruisers SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    LOl, I just saw the "yahoo" you wrote an assumed you found it through yahoo or something. My bad. If I remember correctly what you see is normal. I can check mine out tommrow.

-Matt

5. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

That big empty spot is where the reliabilty of the I-6 is supposed to go. :D

6. uzj100

uzj100

Damn that is just wrong. :flipoff2:

I am guessing that is the spot for the 2nd battery in the turbo diesel versions over seas.

The left side is where the PJ1700MJT Odyessey battery fits without modification! :D :flipoff2:

uzj100

7. e9999

hmmm...
    there was indeed enough space for a big battery IIRC. Didn't see a major connector though, only a small electrical plug (about 1" long, 1/2" wide, green?).
    If that's correct, could one buy the battery tray, cables, etc to fit in there? Might indeed be a nice spot to put a second battery someday.

Not a lot of junk visible under the 100 hood I must say (unlike the 80, if you forgive me). Esthetically pleasant enough.

If we ever get this, it'll be for the wife. I'll have to find my own 80 I guess in 30 years when we're finished paying for the 100 (GULP!)

E

8. cruiserman

cruiserman

All the junk is in the motor :flipoff2:.

9. Asiarider

Asiarider

In 30 years you can get my rig !!!!! :D

Mike

10. Jim_Chow

Jim_Chow

[quote author=e9999 link=board=2;threadid=6602;start=msg53592#msg53592 date=1066798412]
    was checking a 2000 LC today (yahoo, what a beaut!) and was surprised to see a big empty space under the hood, on the RHS just ahead of the firewall, about 1 cu ft completely empty with a harness there and an empty plug. Is there supposed to be something there?
    thanksyall
    Eric

[/quote]

Don't the overseas 100s have the bigger, cyclonic air box while the US spec 100's have the smaller rectangular air filters? I noticed the big cylindrical air box on the safari snorkel site. That might account for some of that space.

-Jim

11. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

some of our 100's (australian, and i don't get to look under the hood of many) get the big air cleaners.

landcruiser tradition them

12. Wellcraft19

Wellcraft19

Re:100 owners: what's the big empty space under the hood?

That's a great empty spot. A few years ago I built a bracket and mounted a small tool box there.
    Never had to use it yet though...

13. ShottsUZJ100

ShottsUZJ100

Albums:
    What empty space? It's where the ARB compressor goes. :D

14. LX470Pilot

LX470Pilot

I think you may be seeing the space which holds the AHC resevoir in later model years.

I know on my LX, on the Right Hand Side (from sitting in the drivers seat) just in front of the cabin firewall and next to the hood hinge, is where the AHC resevoir and pump sits - and it is indeed fairly large.

-LX Pilot

15. 1loudLX

1loudLX

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah, that empty space? what? My intake takes up a little less space then the stock box but, what space? I mean yeah it might be a little empty in there but with the AHC...see there you go. Your LC is missing AHC, thats why your left with an empty space
    [​IMG]

16. ZJ2UZJ100

ZJ2UZJ100

Yup. The Automatic Height Control system goes in that spot.
    I recall asking the same question in one of my first few posts.

That led me down the path of exploring the extra battery option and the extra air compressor option. Both have been done on Mud. Keep on a looking. You'll see "how about a welder" and "how about a toolbox" etc....

I found 4 unused connectors in that area. There go to the wheels' missing height sensors, to the missing switch location in the cabin, to the missing compressor, and a couple of other places that I don't recall. I filled them all with dielectric silicon gell and left them. Haven't had time to make use of them.

Some day....

17. ZJ2UZJ100

ZJ2UZJ100

1LoudX:

What's the little black circle on the sidewall of the engine bay? Look right below the "Test Port" Is that an alarm horn? Buzzer?

18. hoser

hoser SILVER Star

I knew this was an old thread revival after seeing post #9 from AsiaRider. We haven't heard from Mike since the '04 Tsunami. :frown:

19. 1loudLX

1loudLX

Media:
    Albums:

No freaking idea man. it doesnt beep when i hit my remote, or when i set off the alarm. The alarm is soley my two horns on the front. I think if you can figure out how to sound that little buzzer, a small little asian masseuse will come out from one of your fenders and give you a massage as your offroading...lol!

20. rockclmbr

rockclmbr

I have a very small mechanic, he usually sits there to work on things such as the starter rebuild. Once I forgot about him and closed the hood. There was just enough room for him to fill the space and ride comfortably. Unfortunetly he doesn't do work for me anymore after that incident.