100% Original ‘88 FJ62 - where to start? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone, first time poster and lucky new custodian of an FJ62. The rig spent the first 30 years as a Colorado ranch truck before migrating to Central Oregon where it has been used sparingly. Only 143K miles, very dry, but everything is original. Everything. I’ll post pics on Monday.

I’ve been lurking on this site for some time, reading posts and formulating plans for the truck. My goal is to use it to take the dogs out running and as a Ski/SUP/Fly Fishing rig. I plan to preserve the exterior patina (for now) and create a comfortable, reliable truck.

The brakes feel squisy, engine seems less peppy than my old ‘84 FJ60 was 20 years ago, the suspension is original and the knuckles look like black grease pumpkins. What do you recommend I address first?

Cheers,

Ron

Clean it really good, clay, polish, seal. Use OEM parts everywhere possible, don't skimp. Do rust prevention.

Then mod it where necessary. You'll thank yourself later and enjoy the truck more that way.

I 1000% recommend refreshing any safety feature before anything else. Brakes, steering, tires, horn, lights etc.
That way when you're tempted to take it out during your restoration/repair process you can do so with confidence of control. Everything else comes 2nd.

Yeah, go in order. Baseline engine changing all fluids, make sure your bakes are good, suspension refresh will do wonders for handling and steering. Last thing you want is a beautiful truck that isnt safe to drive. Don't forget to plug the galley hole to prevent catastrophic oil leak. Plenty of info on here concerning that. Once you have a good safe truck, it is cheap to rehab the inside if necc....new carpet, clean seats, and fix minor broken things. I really use mine to hunt and have to drive 40 miles to a lease so having a 5 speed is an awesome upgrade. Adds value and usability, but outside of an engine rebuild, probably the most expensive thing you will do as you get the truck to where you want it. Plenty of good info on here for that as well. Make it your own and have fun with it. Add a drawer system in back and instead of having a bug out bag....... have a bug out truck....always ready to hop in and disappear into the woods for some R&R. I really did have a bug out bag in my closet and converted it into a bug out truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom