1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

$100 Crate 350

Discussion in 'HardCore Corner' started by tonkota, Jul 9, 2005.

1. tonkota

tonkota

Media:
    Alright, I have the engine now, paid $100 for it. Sweet deal of the century for me!

This engine was bought as a crate engine for someone and installed. The problem was that they couldn't get it to stop pinging on regular pump gas. So, the owner wanted a new engine put in under warranty. GM said ok and now the old engine (with 177 psi of compression) became a core, and the core charge was $100.

This engine has 200 miles on it. I'm wondering if running a carb and premium in it will be fine, or are there thicker head gaskets available? I'd like to have the compression ratio come down a bit.

This engine is going into the Pig, in front of a SM465/NP205 combo.

Thoughts? Anyone know what route to take?

2. zebrabeefj40

zebrabeefj40

Great score! My guess is that the PO didn't know how to tune it or something in the ignition/fuel system wasn't working right. A properly tuned carb and ignition should take care of the ping...

Good Luck!

Nick Jennings

3. tonkota

tonkota

Media:
    I'm thinking it will be fine also. I'll probly run premium any way since it will only see maybe 500 miles a year.

Correction to my original post: It has 2000 miles on it, I forgot a zero.

The engine was in a 96 Chevy, and the shop couldn't get it to not ping. Don't know why.

4. Pinion

Pinion

Maybe the cam was degreed incorrectly.

5. madoc1

madoc1

ran into the same problem on two seperate zz4 engines. turned out the factory
    supplied vacuum advance was 20*, way to much. there is replacement can with
    10* advance available from gm or you can get an adjustable one from crane. this may help.
    jim

6. Capt. Jim

Capt. Jim

Mayby try a TBI system instead of a carb. Got the low-end Holley TBI for my 350 and other than a bad gas episode, the thing has been flawless.