100 Buildup for CruiseMoab '06 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm about to start the buildup of my 100 in the next couple weeks. I want to build my 100 up over the next year as I plan on taking it to Cruise Moab in 2006. I know a couple folks have taken them to Moab so far (Amando and Shotts) and I'm really pumped up about going next year. Because of $$$ constraints, I have to do the main build up in two phases. The first phase, I'm about to bite the bullet on, is:

OME lift with Slee diff drop
TJM T3 Classique front bumper
Slee Sliders
BFG AT's (295's or 315's)

This will give me most of what I need for the trails I go on here in the Kentucky area. But I'm really thinking about Moab at this point. For the trails in Moab, is it mandatory to have 35's, or will 33's get it done?

The second phase of my buildup won't come until January (again $$$ constraints). I will only have about $2K to work with for phase 2. So, what do you think is the most useful equipment for Moab after my phase 1 is complete?

I'm thinking the three main things would be a rear locker, a winch, and a rear bumper. Which do you think of these three things will most benefit me in Moab? I will only be able to get a combination of two of them. Winch and locker will come in around 2K as will a rear bumper and winch. Or do you have a different recommendation on what I get for the $2K?

EDIT: The other thing I was going to ask about was the TRAC. Would it be smarter to go with armor and not worry about the rear locker? How much will the locker be needed with TRAC anyways?

Name some of the trails you want to take the truck on, then I might (as well as others) be able to tell you if 33 will work. In all honesty 33 will work on 95% of the trails if you do not care about banging stuff under neath. Any how be prepared for banging and you will have not worries. later robbie

Greg,
I am planning to do Cruise Moab in '06 for the first time too. I think I will bypass anything that needs 35" tires...I will do what I can with what I've got! FYI: I just put the TJM T3 Classique on mine about 2-weeks ago. The Slee rear bumper is coming in about 2-3 weeks. So, other than some detail stuff, the only thing left for me regarding big projects will be a winch and front lockers in that order...oh yah a sub-fuel tank too...and I thought I was getting near the end of this mod thing :eek:

I'd def. put part of that 2k in a rear locker and rear bumper. Winch I would think would be the most optional item out of the list. There will be plenty of folks there with 'em if you need it. When I finally (no time soon unfortunately) go the ARB route I'm gonna lock it FR and RR and be done with it.

powderpig said:
Name some of the trails you want to take the truck on, then I might (as well as others) be able to tell you if 33 will work. In all honesty 33 will work on 95% of the trails if you do not care about banging stuff under neath. Any how be prepared for banging and you will have not worries. later robbie

I would like to go on the 3-4 rated trails (Fins and things for sure; Gold Bar Rim sounds pretty cool too). I'm not looking to do anything 4+. Not worried about banging underneath. What level of trail requires lockers even if you have TRAC?

Last edited:
spressomon said:
Greg,
I am planning to do Cruise Moab in '06 for the first time too. I think I will bypass anything that needs 35" tires...I will do what I can with what I've got! FYI: I just put the TJM T3 Classique on mine about 2-weeks ago. The Slee rear bumper is coming in about 2-3 weeks. So, other than some detail stuff, the only thing left for me regarding big projects will be a winch and front lockers in that order...oh yah a sub-fuel tank too...and I thought I was getting near the end of this mod thing :eek:

Damn man, you have really stepped it up the last couple months! I've noticed you posting different mods you have been making recently. How about a current pic with the T3 on, I haven't seen that yet. We definitely have to hook up at Moab. Hopefully, a few more can go to and we can have a group of 100's together on the trail. That will be sweet!

I'm impatient what can I say. Anyway as I remember there were quite a few Cruzahs from NoCal that caravanned to Moab last year...looking forward to rallying all together for the journey and there too. Alright...I'll post some new pics when I get back from the weekend...

Hey Greg...I think, although I don't know absolutely since mine is a '99 (sans TRAC) but you either run the TRAC OR the locker(s)?

spressomon said:
Hey Greg...I think, although I don't know absolutely since mine is a '99 (sans TRAC) but you either run the TRAC OR the locker(s)?

I know you can have lockers and TRAC, Shotts' is an 01 and its locked front and rear. The lockers, when activated, don't let the tires spin at different speeds so the TRAC never activates. (at least that's the way I understand it) I'm thinking the TRAC may not be enough to get me through all the tough spots.

tabraha said:
I'd def. put part of that 2k in a rear locker and rear bumper. Winch I would think would be the most optional item out of the list. There will be plenty of folks there with 'em if you need it. When I finally (no time soon unfortunately) go the ARB route I'm gonna lock it FR and RR and be done with it.

Tad,
Sorry I missed your post earlier. I see your point and you are right about others having a winch to help. I think my biggest question at this point is, will the TRAC be enough? If so, I'll probably go with the winch and rear bumper. But, if the TRAC isn't enough, then the rear ARB is first on the list.

After you factor in shipping costs and such, I kinda doubt whether or not you'll be able to get a rear bumper AND a locker or winch for less than $2K, if that is a rigid price point.

You could always get the locker and winch, and remove your rear bumper in camp before the runs if you are afraid of bendin' it up on the trail.

I hope I can post as a 40/60/80 guy-I've been to CM 3 times in my 80 and have an opinion on what you need and what you don't. The most important thing is body protection-so get front and rear bumpers plus sliders before anything else. After that get a rear locker, then get a winch. Get your front locker after the solid axle swap.(J/K Shotts)

Traction on the Slick Rock is so good that lockers are needed only rarely.

On the tires, stick with the 33's. Overall, you will be way ahead dollar and mod wise, and 33's on a wagon will get you on nearly every trail in Moab, especially if you don't plan on the 4+ ones. My understanding is that the 100 needs lots of mods to run 35's right-I wouldn't bother and stick with 33s. Remember many people have run Golden Spike on 33's in 80's and that's a 4+ trail. 100s would be similar, but with a bit less wheel travel.

The first year in Moab we had a contest to see who would need lockers first-we ran Fins, Poison Spider, and Elephant Hill-and never used the lockers the whole time. You might save the 35s and the mods that go with it, for year 2 at Cruise Moab.

The only time I needed a winch in Moab was to help flip dieselbigot back onto 4 wheels-so get that way last if $ are an issue.

I would get a rear locker before I got bumpers if you are going for bang for the buck. The worst thing that can happen is you can scrape up your tuberware;)

Locker rear
arb springs rear with spacers
L shocks
Front drop diff bracket
T bars
front shocks
remove bumpers and mudflaps
fit slee sliders
10mm front bumpstop spacers
20mm rear bumpstop spacers
12mm bodylift [standard bolts then]
37's in 80 offset rims so sidewalls protect side of vehicle :cool:

fit front and rear steel bars as funds allow.

calamaridog said:
I would get a rear locker before I got bumpers if you are going for bang for the buck. The worst thing that can happen is you can scrape up your tuberware;)

Not so sure about that-there are many ledges you drop off in Moab that don't hurt an offroad bumper but would be hell on the factory plastic. I'll stick with my rec-armor first, lockers second, winch last. This is a Moab specific reccomendation assuming that Greg wants to come home with an undamaged truck.

The faster I destroy the bumpers the faster the wife will support the purchase of new ones:D Just pointing out the locker gets you places. But you are right, armour gets you home in one piece. Besides, it looks cool too!

Cruiserdrew said:
I hope I can post as a 40/60/80 guy-I've been to CM 3 times in my 80 and have an opinion on what you need and what you don't. The most important thing is body protection-so get front and rear bumpers plus sliders before anything else. After that get a rear locker, then get a winch. Get your front locker after the solid axle swap.(J/K Shotts)

Traction on the Slick Rock is so good that lockers are needed only rarely.

On the tires, stick with the 33's. Overall, you will be way ahead dollar and mod wise, and 33's on a wagon will get you on nearly every trail in Moab, especially if you don't plan on the 4+ ones. My understanding is that the 100 needs lots of mods to run 35's right-I wouldn't bother and stick with 33s. Remember many people have run Golden Spike on 33's in 80's and that's a 4+ trail. 100s would be similar, but with a bit less wheel travel.

The first year in Moab we had a contest to see who would need lockers first-we ran Fins, Poison Spider, and Elephant Hill-and never used the lockers the whole time. You might save the 35s and the mods that go with it, for year 2 at Cruise Moab.

The only time I needed a winch in Moab was to help flip dieselbigot back onto 4 wheels-so get that way last if $ are an issue.

Actually, most 100's that are running 35's are doing so with the standard OME lift... and that's about it for mods. Far less than an 80 series

But I agree with you. If 33's will work fine, no real need to go bigger.

Cruiserdrew said:
My understanding is that the 100 needs lots of mods to run 35's right-I wouldn't bother and stick with 33s.

Actually all you need on the 100 is the standard OME 2.5" lift to go to 35s, and no other geometry changes. However, a diff drop bracket for the front does restore some of the droop lost in an IFS lift. But that is also a fairly easy install.

As I do this stuff to my 100, you guys are welcome to come on by and watch. I'll post on 80sCool NorCal when I get ready to do something new. ARB bullbar is next, that new design is super sweet! I think someone with an actual engineering degree designed that thing! Also, a local fabricator of our mutual aquaintance discussed using my truck to prototype a new rear bumper design for the 100 Series, so I may soon have a new rear bumper as well! :cool:

"Also, a local fabricator of our mutual aquaintance discussed using my truck to prototype a new rear bumper design for the 100 Series, so I may soon have a new rear bumper as well!"

Are you thinking of doing a bumper with or without tire carrier?

calamaridog said:
Are you thinking of doing a bumper with or without tire carrier?

With both tire and can carriers. If all works out according to plan, the same accessories (tire and can carrier) will be swappable between the 80 bumper and the new 100 bumper, so only need to buy one set of accessories!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom