100 and 2nd Vehicle? 200? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've read the threads and although this may not exactly be 100 specific, it is in my case because it involves either keeping or selling the 100, so I'm posting here in the 100 section. Mods feel free to move it out to chat if need be.

Everyone has had the dilemma: keep, sell, or trade. It seems like a couple of times a month I peruse the Classifieds section and someone is prematurely posting rigs up for sale and taking them down because they know it will be a mistake.

I made that mistake already though. I had it made: Built 97 LX450 holy grail (factory lockers, no factory roof rack) and a 2010 Crewmax Tundra. Due to needing to pay off student loans though and feeling like I just didn't need two vehicles at the time I sold both and bought a 100 as my single DD.

I like the 100. It's not as gnarly as the 80, but it's not trying to be. However it was nice having a "trail/ camping/ adventure rig" and a dedicated family hauler/ DD. And with the 200 now becoming the terminus at least for the short term for the Land Cruiser moniker I find myself more and more wanting to buy one just to hold onto.

So the point of the post is this: Is the 100 worth keeping and building out and buying a new Tundra as a second vehicle (before they retire the 5.7) or is it worth getting rid of the 100 and going all in on the 200?

Your thoughts are appreciated

My wife adores her 200. I prefer my 100. I would not ditch my 100 and expect a 200 to take its place, they are very different vehicles just like the 100 is a very different vehicle in comparison to an 80.

The 200 is a really nice vehicle. It feels more cramped inside than the 100 but drives like it is bigger. Although, you are looking at a Tundra which makes the 200 seem small in all regards.

Same situation as @87warrior above, my wife drives a 2016 200 that she loves, but I prefer my 100s. I don't claim that the 100 is superior in any way to the 200 (well, except at simplicity) but my two 100s are early models and they still drive like old trucks, which I love. I've been wracking my brain on the 200 dilemma (should I buy another one to hold on to for myself? Upgrade the 2016?) but the rise in prices and madness around demand since Toyota USA abandoned the 300 model set those thoughts aside. The 2016 is in awesome condition and good for another 20 years, and now that I split the miles between my country-mouse and city-mouse 100s, those are probably good for another 20 years too! :)

My advice is keep the 100 if it's a really nice example. They're getting long in the tooth, harder to find in great shape, and when you find them, prices for the nice ones are steadily rising. I bought my city-mouse '99 two years ago for $13K and I am confident I could sell it for $15K to a regular buyer and $18K+ at auction.

Personal opinion but I own two cruisers and would never want to daily drive either. There are much more efficient and easy passenger vehicles to drive that are likely safer for emergency maneuvers, safety standards and electronics, etc.

I like cruisers as toys but not tools

All of you are sort of echoing everything in my head.

@nukegoat I see your point about them being toys ( read - Hammersaurus Lex). My 80 was heading that way. I got rid of it because it became less of a family hauler and more of a trail truck.

I like the Tundra because I had one - it had everything I needed and nothing I didn't need, all with a sweet engine. But I still always leaned towards the Cruiser for family trips which sort of negated the reason for the truck.

I guess I see the 200 as a compromise between new comfort and the ability to also be my trail truck (albeit more tame).

Anyways, glad I'm not the only one who's crazy.

I won't be rushing into anything, especially given the crazy prices I'm seeing as mentioned above for a 200.

Maybe I should just get a RAV4? The seem really popular in new "Overlander" ads.

When we decided to stop searching for a used 200, we went with the 4th gen RX350. Good balance for us...A tank for when there's work to do and a fighter jet when it's time to get on down the road. More than double the MPG, smooth and quiet. We were searching for a Rav when I stumbled onto the RX which is basically a highlander with more features and sound insulation. The NX, which is the Lexus Rav, only had the 4 cylinder and was pretty small. The v6 in the RX seems to be very low maintenance and reliable. The last thing I wanted was another 4.7 V8 maintenance regimen.

Want all the creature comforts in a vehicle comfier, more refined, and more insulated than a LX570. But is cheaper than a beat up 100 series while still being as reliable if not more than a 100 and 200 series? Lexus LS460.

When we decided to stop searching for a used 200, we went with the 4th gen RX350. Good balance for us...A tank for when there's work to do and a fighter jet when it's time to get on down the road. More than double the MPG, smooth and quiet. We were searching for a Rav when I stumbled onto the RX which is basically a highlander with more features and sound insulation. The NX, which is the Lexus Rav, only had the 4 cylinder and was pretty small. The v6 in the RX seems to be very low maintenance and reliable. The last thing I wanted was another 4.7 V8 maintenance regimen.
I have my 100 that wifey For so long hated because it was a 2003 And she was pissed about the baselining bill. We bought her a 2013 rx350 in 2016 when we learned we were going to be parents. She wishes we wouldn’t have sold her 2012 is250, in hindsight me too...would have been a great gas saver for me as opposed to the 2000 TL I picked up from her parents for $800. Anyways, we have two kids now and she very much enjoys the backseat of my 100 series but wants all the updated creature comforts and doesn’t like the new gx. All that said well probably take the plunge on an 60k 2017/2018 lx570 Soon

I wouldn’t worry about 200 series becoming hard to find yet. I also wouldnt get a truck unless you need a truck. I contemplate getting a tundra all the time but If it’s for a random haul here and there a mini trailer gets that done. If you bike, get a bike holder. No sense getting a truck unless you consistently need the bed.

why not keep the 100 and get a 200

She has always loved the 100 and we considered a second, but It's not so much the baselining, but the timing belts, water pumps and 5k oil changes that nixed the idea (I never made the switch to synthetic). They come at you fast when you're doing a lot of miles. Same goes with fuel stops. I don't think I would still love the 100 as much if I didn't have the long ranger tank in there.

The only 200 series I would consider buying at this point would be the drivetrain out of a 200 when mine wears out. The guts are great on them but on the outside it's just another bubble body from the aughts.

She was daily driving a 1996 Saturn Station wagon which was surprisingly difficult for her to give up. After deferring some maintenance, it broke down on her in Key West and the search was on for a used RX and now we're both happy in either. I had to talk her out of a Tacoma by promising to share the 100. With her daily driving the 100 to work, my high mileage work is finally not landing solely on the 100 odometer as much.

Of course it would be a different ballgame if we had kids. x2 on the utility trailer, it's the perfect bed when you need one.

Want all the creature comforts in a vehicle comfier, more refined, and more insulated than a LX570. But is cheaper than a beat up 100 series while still being as reliable if not more than a 100 and 200 series? Lexus LS460.
This. And get the L edition for the pimpin back seat

Not quite. LS600h L and get a kid to chauffeur. $15-30k for a decent 2008. Payment of kid chauffeur optional.

Last edited:
Most of the big points have been covered, but being a finance guy I'll cover the financial aspect real quick.

Your current 100 series is pretty much at the bottom of its depreciation curve. Depending on the year and condition of yours you might lose a little bit more but it's pretty much at the bottom. Trading in to a 200 means you're selling a vehicle that's already depreciated and then using the money to buy a vehicle that is still going to depreciate. In short, you will lose money by going to a 200, so you have to decide if that's worth it for you. Secondly you need to decide where the money would be put to best use. Is a 200 a better vehicle in most ways than a 100? Yes, stock for stock it is. But if you were to invest the money you would have put into the purchase of a 200 and put it into modifying the 100, would the 200 still be better? That's something you'll have to decide.

Thirdly, a 200 is an upgrade from the 100 but it isn't a cross between a 100 and a Tundra and it won't replace a truck. In fact with the third row being hard to remove and the upscale interior you're not going to want to do something like haul appliances in it. Where as, you can take the back seats out, drop the middle row and haul a full size fridge in a 100 without worry.

I bought an old body style GX460 (2013) and relegated my 100 to hunting/biking/weekend truck. It’s my second 100 - had an 00 for 7 or 8 years, sold it, regretted it, and got into an 03 a few years ago. Truth be told, I still miss the 00 for its simplicity. I hate the audio/HVAC in the 03, but it’s still a good truck. If the GX had a split tailgate I’d probably consolidate and sell the 100.

I had a 1st gen Tundra as well for a few years and it was a great truck, but it just felt cheap compared to my 100s. I’m waiting to see the new Tundra before I make any more decisions, but having a GX and a 100 doesn’t make a ton of sense, especially since my wife drives a GX as well (they really are great vehicles).

@OSihota you speak my language. I'm not a finance guy but the numbers have to make sense and that's what I'm trying to sort out.

Doing all the work myself 15 years ago I had a pretty well-built truck with about $10k into it. I'll be hitting $15k with this truck in mods to only replicate what I had in the 80. I imagine I could easily hit $5k more on top of that in a 200.

Most of the big points have been covered, but being a finance guy I'll cover the financial aspect real quick.

Your current 100 series is pretty much at the bottom of its depreciation curve. Depending on the year and condition of yours you might lose a little bit more but it's pretty much at the bottom. Trading in to a 200 means you're selling a vehicle that's already depreciated and then using the money to buy a vehicle that is still going to depreciate. In short, you will lose money by going to a 200, so you have to decide if that's worth it for you. Secondly you need to decide where the money would be put to best use. Is a 200 a better vehicle in most ways than a 100? Yes, stock for stock it is. But if you were to invest the money you would have put into the purchase of a 200 and put it into modifying the 100, would the 200 still be better? That's something you'll have to decide.

Thirdly, a 200 is an upgrade from the 100 but it isn't a cross between a 100 and a Tundra and it won't replace a truck. In fact with the third row being hard to remove and the upscale interior you're not going to want to do something like haul appliances in it. Where as, you can take the back seats out, drop the middle row and haul a full size fridge in a 100 without worry.
You're canadian so your advice is sus

I'm probably only adding to your dilemma, but I have at least one of each and love them all in different ways. My 200 has been taken over by my wife after we sold her GX, and I don't think she's planning on giving it back unless she gets a new one (less likely to happen given recent news). I like the size of the 200, bigger than a 4runner but not as tank-like as the Sequoia. But you know all of this. I have several 100's and a Tundra that I bought new in 2010 with only 80k miles that's been babied and I will never part with. I don't need the Tundra these days in the same way I originally did, but I take comfort in knowing I have a truck when I need it and I like the peace of mind knowing it's always been well taken care of. Now regarding my 100's... those are my favorites. I have too many according to my wife. To me, they're the perfect blend of utility and luxury. The early ones feel more truck-like to me and the later one's feel a little more refined. The cool thing about 100's is that you can suit them to your needs fairly easily, and I find them more enjoyable to work on and build. I'm curious to see how the Cruiser market reacts to the ensuing higher gas prices combined with the rumors of the US 200 and 5.7's going away.

Given the options you've outlined, I would probably build out my 100 and buy a new(er) Tundra. As another poster mentioned, I don't see the 200's becoming crazy unattainable anytime soon (maybe I'm wrong). I would make my 100 a toy and daily drive my Tundra, and then maybe add a 200 down the road? Good luck either way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom