10 year old Gturbo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I have acquired a Gturbo for 1HDFT motor that has never been run but purchased 10 years ago. I realize Gturbo has improved and evolved their product quite a bit over the last 10 years, should I be concerned running their earlier turbos?

Since I just got my GTurbo installed and running this month, you’re in for a treat.
There are various models of this turbo. I would strongly recommend contacting
them and finding out which one you have. Can you see the colour of the inlet
wheel? That’s a good indicator of which model you have

Still a good upgrade over stock. I'd run it if I had it.

Cool, thanks guys, wasn't too worried about, just wanted to make sure there wasn't some known problem with them outside the typical wear and tear.

What's the backstory on this @Loober? That person must be crazy to hold onto a upgraded turbo like that and to not use it. Is it replacing your factory ct26 on your FT?

@KiwiDingo Its a long story, but PO had this slated for a project that never materialized. I've been running a stock but freshly rebuilt CT26 at 15psi, which I know now is outside its limits, but was running great for the last ~8000km, the other day all of a sudden started seeing heaps of white smoke and heavy oil burning smell out the exhaust, with the engine running noticeably rough. Upon removing the charge tube right before the intake, a significant trickle of oil dumped out, which explained what was going on since oil was entering the combustion. Closer investigation of turbo revealed about 1/4" of play in the compressor wheel, effectively blowing the seals and allowing oil to enter the cold side of the turbo. Luckily i was close to home when this happened and did not run it very long like this. I've seen numbers of 20psi as a prescribed boost for Gturbo is that still the case? Not after crazy performance, just want a safe operating range at this point.

I've seen numbers of 20psi as a prescribed boost for Gturbo is that still the case? Not after crazy performance, just want a safe operating range at this point.
Honestly have no idea, he built so many one offs back then and had so many versions going around in those early days of Gturbo history it could really be setup to run anything? I would take some pics of it and contact them (show us the pics too, we would love to see them), I'm sure they would be able to find out exactly what boost you should be safe running it at. Who knows, I've even heard stories of them taking back these very early models and sending guys the latest spec versions for no charge ;)

My GTurbo Grunter runs up to 20 psi easy on my 12HT. Have a good intercooler and
you will be smiling!

15psi shouldn’t blow a ct26, unless you were having some gnarly boost spike sneaking in there.

Consensus seems that 18psi is around the max and where it starts losing efficiency

@Jroc561 thats what I thought too, and at least not after only 8000km, I think the rebuild was a hack job...

Most rebuilds fail due to them skimping out on the most important step, turbo balancing. What kind of balancing was carried out during the rebuild? Any reports/data printouts of the final balancing specs?

None of that, shame on me for being too ignorant about it, but I think they guy just slapped a new coat of paint on it and called it a rebuild

I've been running my ct26 at 15 psi for years.
Just coming up to 300000 miles on the clock.

Jeez that's impressive, so many people hate on the CT26 turbos but after seeing a few others pulled apart and compared I'm very happy to be running one. Mines nothing like the standard version on the inside but I love that fact it looks completely stock on the outside.

My grunter extreme is wategated at 22psi. With a boost controller I'm making 26psi. Mine is one of the very last before they coloured the wheels. Btw, it's on a 1hd-fte making155rwkw and 590rwnm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom