10% under transfer gears with 33". Anyone use these? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have 10% under drive high range gears and Marlin crawl low range gears in my transfer case. Running 315/75/16 now and gearing feels perfect. I am considering going back to 285/75 on my next set of tires. Also considering lowering the lift a bit but that is another conversation. No real reason other than wanting the CG a little lower for highway traveling. I do move traveling and trails with the "goal of the destination" rather than rock crawling these days. I did my transfer case after i had 35" on the truck Has anyone run these gears with 285/75/16? Any opinion of how it felt?

I personally don't think a 10% under drive with 285/75R16 is going to cause you grief.

What issues are you noticing with the higher center of gravity? My rigs are stock height, stock tire size or about, and I think they handle pretty well. Haven't driven rigs much with taller setups.

285’s approximately 6% larger than the stock tire size. That means being approximately 4% lower than a factory stock vehicle because 10%-6%=4%. 2500 hypothetical rpm on the highway will be more like 2600 rpm; basically nothing, and that 4% can only improve drivability around town. Sounds like a win to me.

The other thing to consider is if the weight of your rig warrants slightly lower gearing than factory if it has bumpers, armor, etc. And if you do any towing, it'll be appreciated. A little too low is often nicer than a little too tall in my book.

I personally don't think a 10% under drive with 285/75R16 is going to cause you grief.

What issues are you noticing with the higher center of gravity? My rigs are stock height, stock tire size or about, and I think they handle pretty well. Haven't driven rigs much with taller setups.
No "issues" really. Truck drives great. It has been my DD for the last 10 years and i have put 200,000 miles on it. But it is a truck as oposed to a sedan. When you are doing 50mph and a deer runs out infront of you there is always a little pucker factor avoiding it. Same as any truck or van compaired to say a honda. I built it the way it is becouse i was wheeling it some and having fun finding limits on the trail. It is preaty mild right now but done well. 2-3" lift, remote res shocks, 35", gears, lockers, armor and all that. But over the last few years i have gravited to fly fishing and dirt bikes. The truck is always a critical part of the adventure. But it is more about getting us up a good forestry road to a camping spot or to a moto route. I am not often taking the truck on a technical trail. So if i can do what i need on 33" and 2" lift it just adds a little more safty margin for the drive home after a long weekend.

For example a few weeks ago i slid it off the interstate at 4am in the snow going to the airport. All was good, kept wheels down and avoided all the lamp poles and what not. But when it drops of the interstate into the median at 50mph sliding sideways it took all my skill (and LUCK) to keep it pointed straight and not role it. I really thought my goose was cooked.

So if I felt I sti needed 35s and a my lift i would totaly keep it. It is a great settup. I am not in a hurry to get rid of the current setup. But when it is time for new rubber i might step down a size and just let it be a little lower. I used to have 33s and it took me up some pretty tought trails. 33s, lockers and armor will get pretty far.

But this is the internet after. I migjt change my mind tomorrow and deside i need 37 and more lift. ;)

No "issues" really. Truck drives great. It has been my DD for the last 10 years and i have put 200,000 miles on it. But it is a truck as oposed to a sedan. When you are doing 50mph and a deer runs out infront of you there is always a little pucker factor avoiding it. Same as any truck or van compaired to say a honda. I built it the way it is becouse i was wheeling it some and having fun finding limits on the trail. It is preaty mild right now but done well. 2-3" lift, remote res shocks, 35", gears, lockers, armor and all that. But over the last few years i have gravited to fly fishing and dirt bikes. The truck is always a critical part of the adventure. But it is more about getting us up a good forestry road to a camping spot or to a moto route. I am not often taking the truck on a technical trail. So if i can do what i need on 33" and 2" lift it just adds a little more safty margin for the drive home after a long weekend.

For example a few weeks ago i slid it off the interstate at 4am in the snow going to the airport. All was good, kept wheels down and avoided all the lamp poles and what not. But when it drops of the interstate into the median at 50mph sliding sideways it took all my skill (and LUCK) to keep it pointed straight and not role it. I really thought my goose was cooked.

So if I felt I sti needed 35s and a my lift i would totaly keep it. It is a great settup. I am not in a hurry to get rid of the current setup. But when it is time for new rubber i might step down a size and just let it be a little lower. I used to have 33s and it took me up some pretty tought trails. 33s, lockers and armor will get pretty far.

But this is the internet after. I migjt change my mind tomorrow and deside i need 37 and more lift. ;)

I appreciate you explaining, thank you! That does sound pretty scary. Roll over could be really dangerous and would be a ton of damage.

I appreciate you explaining, thank you! That does sound pretty scary. Roll over could be really dangerous and would be a ton of damage.
Strange as it was I never really had a fear that I would be hurt. I just had this moment where I thought it was the end for my old friend, my 80. I felt like it would be a stupid way for him to go out. Just a split second error. A little less lift and a little smaller tires just give that little bit more room for error.

We will see. My Toyo AT3s have been the longest lasting tires and best road manors yet. They still have a lot of life left in them. I should need to replace them for a while. Have 30,000 on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom