Builds Stretched 1-Ton FJ40 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Mike Shull

How is she coming along Mike?
Hi Evan! I’ve paused for a few months to finish a few home remodel projects which we were waiting for materials to arrive.

I ordered exhaust manifolds from Summit, and my transfercase is expected within the next 1-2 months. The frame extension piece should be ready soon and I’ll jump back on here in a few weeks.

How are your projects going?

Mike

image.jpg

My frame extension should be ready for pick up on Friday and I plan to extend the frame towards mid-October. I will be cutting my frame at a diagonal. My drawing skills are limited so I drew the cut marks as straight lines.

Thanks again to @Tank5 for the donor frame. I will use that to splice the outside, then place the new pieces on the inside. A sample from the donor frame is below.

8E4C41F7-604E-4F3E-88AB-A4FC6CD54B46.jpeg

3ADEDF5B-8095-45C7-AE60-97A835833C8D.jpeg

DA63E96E-0E44-47B6-8D82-A88051A30127.jpeg

I've usually heard that it is recomended to split the frame at a 45° on the length of the frame, but I'm sure someone with more experience can give some advice. @Godfather90 may know.

Hi there and thank you! Yes, I set my Cs at 3-4 degrees positive caster.
@Broski , I should also mention that I set my front differential, and the rear for that matter, at around 12 degrees upwards from center. I achieved this temporary in the front with shims on the cast leaf spring mount and by relocating the left mount. I will do a 4-link eventually and my Cs are relocated to accommodate the extra angle.

Last edited:
You'll want to box those perches in.
Thanks for the tip. Just to confirm, did you see that I have a piece of 1/4” angle under the gussets, which is on top of the factory mount? I thought what I did was already overkill :)

Do you still think that I need to box it in? Perhaps there is something else that I’ve missed.

FWIW I think they well hold up just fine.

Thanks for the tip. Just to confirm, did you see that I have a piece of 1/4” angle under the gussets, which is on top of the factory mount? I thought what I did was already overkill :)

Do you still think that I need to box it in? Perhaps there is something else that I’ve missed.
Yes, I'd still box them in. Mainly to have a clean surface that doesn't trap mud and dirt, but reinforcing the open triangle is something you won't regret.

Help needed. I finally received my bellhousing adapter to mate my NV4500 to my gen IV LS and it appears that the transmission shop sold me the wrong case. I asked for a 1996 or newer and it appears that I got the older case with the narrower bolt pattern. I don’t believe that Advanced Adapters sells a bellhousing for this configuration. Thoughts?

UPDATE: AA does sell the correct bellhousing (712577). This bellhousing was back ordered when I initially inquired and there is currently (12/2021) a waitlist of 63 people ahead of me. For this reason, AA recommend the 1996 gearbox initially.

44E1474D-16B9-4748-88E9-19D1FB0707FD.jpeg

EE5CCDA9-F794-4F22-9B51-AE9FE05C9BFF.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom