For Sale 1 Owner NV 1978 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1978 FJ40
123,000 miles
1 owner since new
Repainted the original color in June, 1989
Original 2F with smog equipment
Starts, runs, drives, and sounds excellent
Warn 8274

Issues-
Rust in rear quarters and rear floor. Other than that, no rust at all
Speedometer needle broken off
Seatbelts need to be replaced
Seat covers
Oil leak (engine)

In the early 80's, the FJ40 was stolen from the original owner and recovered shortly after. The thieves ground the VIN off the frame. The Nevada DMV re-etched the original VIN back in original position. The firewall VIN tag was also recovered and present. I checked with the NV DMV for potential issues registering/titling the FJ40, and they assured me there wouldn't be any problems. Feel free to call them or PM me if you need clarification. The VIN on the frame, firewall, and title are all the same (original)

This thing is ready to go. It is a good candidate for a frame off, or just use it as-is. Will cruise on the highway no problem.

I tried to take a lot of good photos to hopefully answer any questions.

$12,500

DSC00821.JPG

DSC00823.JPG

DSC00824.JPG

DSC00825.JPG

DSC00827.JPG

DSC00828.JPG

DSC00829.JPG

DSC00830.JPG

dont ya just hate it when no price is listed o_O

probably means too much for me

A few shots from a service record book from the original owner...

DSC00864.JPG

DSC00870.JPG

DSC00868.JPG

DSC00866.JPG

DSC00865.JPG

Do you have a clean title in your name as 2nd owner, or a clean title signed off by the 1st owner or are you selling with a bill of sale only?

Also, what was that the last year that this 40 was legally registered for plates?

Last edited:
Some questions:

I purchased a vehicle in the past that was confiscated by the police and auctioned off. They provided a pile of legal documentation that was required when the time came to register the vehicle. Had I not had all the paperwork they wouldn't have let me register it. Do you have all the Nevada paperwork from when the DMV etched the VIN?

Also, you said, "In the early 80's, the FJ40 was stolen from the original owner and recovered shortly after. The thieves ground the VIN off the frame. The Nevada DMV re-etched the original VIN back in original position." Why is the VIN etch dated 2010?

Not knocking your 40. I think it's solid, just trying to clear up some of the concerns potential buyers are going to have.

Do you have a clean title in your name as 2nd owner, or a clean title signed off by the 1st owner or are you selling with a bill of sale only?

Also, what was that the last year that this 40 was legally registered for plates?

The FJ40 was registered and road legal this year in NV, and has been every year since it was new. I wasn't sure of my intentions for the vehicle when I got it, so have not registered it in my name yet. If the buyer would feel more comfortable, with a small deposit, I would do a rush title transfer into my name to assure them there were no issues and everything was normal and in the clear. I did this with @swamp-thing when he bought a 77 FJ40 from me and had the new title in 36 hrs. I really wanted to keep the original title for the sake of the sale and proving it was a one owner, because they keep the old title when re titled in NV.

Thank you!

Some questions:

I purchased a vehicle in the past that was confiscated by the police and auctioned off. They provided a pile of legal documentation that was required when the time came to register the vehicle. Had I not had all the paperwork they wouldn't have let me register it. Do you have all the Nevada paperwork from when the DMV etched the VIN?

Also, you said, "In the early 80's, the FJ40 was stolen from the original owner and recovered shortly after. The thieves ground the VIN off the frame. The Nevada DMV re-etched the original VIN back in original position." Why is the VIN etch dated 2010?

Not knocking your 40. I think it's solid, just trying to clear up some of the concerns potential buyers are going to have.

I don't have paperwork. I called the DMV before I purchased it and was told it wouldn't be an issue as long as the VIN was already re-etched and the VIN hadn't changed. I can probably get it in writing, but I'll have to check. She said it's no different than registering a home made trailer that they etch the VIN in and issue a title for. I'll double check with the PO to see if he has anything laying around.

Not sure why the VIN was re etched in 2010. I will have to call him today and ask. I'll post up later today after I find out.

Riley is a good guy & he and his wife worked diligently to secure a title in his name for my cruiser within a day or two.
I had no issues registering here in Colorado with the title that was provided.

GLWS
~Ash

Riley is a good guy & he and his wife worked diligently to secure a title in his name for my cruiser within a day or two.
I had no issues registering here in Colorado with the title that was provided.

GLWS
~Ash

Thanks Ash!

Just spoke with the PO this morning.

He had it registered at his house in Sedona AZ from the mid 80's to 2010. When he finally decided to register it in NV again in 2010, they would not let him without etching the VIN. I guess AZ DMV is much more relaxed about stuff like that. He is going to look for paperwork today. I still don't think it's needed, but would be interesting to see.

Riley, what is that vertical rod attached to the center console?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom