1 lb Propane bottle in OBA system (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sandcruiser

....back in the saddle again....
Threads
hey all

I've been looking at an empty 1lb propane bottle for a few days thinking about plumbing it into my OBA setup as a small reservoir.

I was thinking of mounting it with the opening on the bottom so that water would drain out (and put a petcock on a T or something).

I can cut up a hose that I have already, or try to get an adapter to NPT. Anyone know what the size/thread is on those little tanks? Same as a colman propane stove/lantern etc....

Just thinking out loud here to see if anyone has a good reason why this is a stupid idea. If it works, I figure I can probably mount up two or three of them and actually have a little bit of storage capacity. Not much, true, but a little. Might make using a blower or impact a little more of a reality, at least for a few seconds.

The valves on them are very low flow, I wouldn't recommend drilling, cutting or welding to improve it! :D

Might look at something like an old fire extinguisher for a cheap tank?

hmm, hadn't thought about flow rate. Good point.

Still, if anyone knows the nominal dimension of the valve on a 1lb bottle, I'd like to know.
I'm also going to check around some and see if I can find a used tank from an air brake.

I use a 3 gal. hot-dog style tank that I mounted under my tub ahead of my rear axle. Got it from WW Grainger for about $70 new. Was already set up for an air compressor with all bungs installed, even one for the drain.

I don't know if the propane bottles are rated for the pressures you may be running on your system.

BTW, we go to Tamarindo/Flamingo every spring. Sure miss it.......

I'll have to look around. I'm now thinking that maybe a good idea is to take the 3gal bottle off of my shop compressor and install it (has feet, bungs, drain, etc) and just get a larger tank for the compressor- maybe 5 gals or so.

Jim: next time you are down, give me a ring. Office number is 653-1102.

Looking at that other thread and thinking about the conceptof drilling a hole in a propane container is a scary concept. Even an "empty" bottle can still be an explosive experiment.

sandcruiser said:
Jim: next time you are down, give me a ring. Office number is 653-1102.

My next trip is scheculed for superbowl week, 2006. I'll be sure to get in touch.

What about a reserve air tank from 18 wheeler air brake system. Seems they are about 10" in dia and about 2' length. Pressure of system is up to 150 psi. at pop off.

Propane exerts around 125 PSI. The "disposable" tanks have a overpressure valve, fyi.
there are these solid brass connectrors to refill the "disposable" tanks with tise bigger 20LB tanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom