1-HDT injection pump removal and service/PM items (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm having my HDJ81's leaky injection pump (IP) swapped out some time in March by Land Cruiser's Direct (thanks @SteveJackson !). I purchased a rebuilt IP from Cruiser Addiction recently to minimize our downtime when we have the work done.

Anyway, during the removal process I'm wondering if there are any other parts, or preventative maintenance, that would be good to do while the IP is out? Our HDJ81 had its timing belt/tension spring done about 30,000 kms ago, so I don't think it needs to be done as the timing belt is a 100K km service interval.

Any suggestions? Advice? This is a 27 year old vehicle so I'm wondering if perhaps a new radiator, etc. might be smart to do? Although it seems many folks are able to swap out the IP without removing the radiator in the first place.

Thanks!

Having the pump properly timed when reinstalled is an obvious one, but having the valve adjustment checked is a good idea if it hasn't' already been done, requires the truck be stone cold (sit overnight), and requires some specialty tools and shims to make adjustments, that LCD would likely have in their shop.

If the fuel lines and clamps between the filter and pump are original I would change them out.

But the most obvious thing would be to have the injectors checked. Even if they are not making black smoke, the injectors springs needs to be checked/shimmed/replaced.
Radiators can almost go forever if the coolant system has been maintained.
An injector pump should be timed and ready to go from a rebuild.

Thanks y'all. I've decided to have all the radiator/coolant lines replaced (not the radiator, since it doesn't leak and appears to be in great shape) while Land Cruiser's Direct has the vehicle for the IP swap out and tuning. In terms of preventative maintenance, I don't want to have a $2 rubber hose cause me problems down the road, especially since it's a 27 year old vehicle.

I'm still on the fence about the 1-HDT valve adjustment (check and reshim if necessary)...is that something that is worth doing, or should I just wait until later?

I did it myself when I changed out the water pump since the valve cover is already off. It was very easy with a feeler gauge. Every valve was in spec so no shims needed. Shims cost a small fortune so you’d probably want to check and buy only what you need. That said if you already have it in a shop you might as well have them do it if it’s in your budget. That way you won’t have to wait for new shims to ship if out of spec.

I'm still on the fence about the 1-HDT valve adjustment (check and reshim if necessary)...is that something that is worth doing, or should I just wait until later?

When was it last done?

If adjustment is out of spec, it's definitely worth doing.
The engine is not going to run at its best if valve adjustment is out.

Calculating the correct shim thickness is the hardest part, but there is a spreadsheet floating around that helps with this.

I appreciate the link @mudgudgeon! Great resource!

To my knowledge a valve clearance check has not been done. I bought it with 132k KMs on it, and it is at 168k KMs right now. Probably best to have it done eh? I didn't know the service interval was 80k KMs (at least according to the link you sent with the 1HZ).

I appreciate the link @mudgudgeon! Great resource!

To my knowledge a valve clearance check has not been done. I bought it with 132k KMs on it, and it is at 168k KMs right now. Probably best to have it done eh? I didn't know the service interval was 80k KMs (at least according to the link you sent with the 1HZ).

It's worth doing, just to know it's been done. Engine needs to be stone cold, so having it done while the truck is already in the shop for something is a good idea to minimize downtime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom