1 HD-T White-ish blue smoke out of the exhaust, oil cap and dipstick (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone !!!
First time here and first time owner of HDJ80 !!!
- 1996 1 HD-T VX, 267 000 km!!!
I'm not a mechanic, but I will learn for sure. I'm located in central Africa and here, lots of the mechanics doesn't even know what a torque wrench is
and toyota dealership cost a fortune !!
So I would want to know your opinions on this Cruiser;

I bought it 2 weeks ago, and the Cruiser didn't got use a lot, sometimes up to 6 months not driven.
I did the oil change and timing belt and I intend to do the other belts and a radiator flush, plus change oil
of the transmission, transfer case and diffs. The driveshaft seals and transfers case seems to leak, so changing those soon too.
What did I got into..eh...but here, the Cruisers gets used and Abused, so finding one with original paint still good and no dodgy mechanic in is rare !

So
There's a little bit of white-ish blue-ish smoke coming out of the exhaust at idle, and when you accelerate, there's quite a bit more.
There's a film of oil outside and inside the PCV hose and where it meets the air intake.
The intake hose inside is very oily and there's an 1/8" of oily sludge at the elbow where it meets the turbo.

The oil cap test is good, the cap is barely moving, but there's a bit of fumes/smoke out of the oil cap and dipstick.

So my research points me out on those;
-PCV hose and I need to clean all the air intake hose and put a catch can !?
-Or a turbo leaking oil !?
-Or Worn or bad piston ring !?
-Or worn or bad valve seals !?
-Or bad head gasket !?

Or something else ?? I intend to do a compression test today or tomorrow, as soon as I can find the fuel shut off valve...ahaha...
learning is a baby step procedure

Thank you All for al your inputs and IH8MUD !!!
I'm able to learn because there's guys like you !!!

Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 11.34.45.png

Sounds pretty normal to me for a 1HD-T with that mileage. White smoke not blue is good. Smoke from crankcase indicates some Blow-by. Have someone perform a pressure leak-off test on the cylinders (as opposed to a running pressure test). Keep an eye on Cylinder 6. Excessive white smoke may also indicate a head gasket.
Good Luck

Sounds pretty normal to me for a 1HD-T with that mileage. White smoke not blue is good. Smoke from crankcase indicates some Blow-by. Have someone perform a pressure leak-off test on the cylinders (as opposed to a running pressure test). Keep an eye on Cylinder 6. Excessive white smoke may also indicate a head gasket.
Good Luck
Hope it is normal !!
I got the compression test kit and do it very soon and the leak off test...it's the one where you blow compress air in the cylinder right !?
well if it's that, i don't know if they have that here, if not I'll order one and do it myself.
From what I've seen on youtube, it's this one that tells you where the problem is !
thanks for your input

Hope it is normal !!
I got the compression test kit and do it very soon and the leak off test...it's the one where you blow compress air in the cylinder right !?
well if it's that, i don't know if they have that here, if not I'll order one and do it myself.
From what I've seen on youtube, it's this one that tells you where the problem is !
thanks for your input
Yeah good luck. Did you post on the Diesel Tech Forum. Guys there know more than me. I've owned 3 of these engines but left most of the tough stuff to mechanics.
Regards. And if you come across a diesel 80 there for sale with dual tanks in "Dictator Condition" let me know.

Yeah good luck. Did you post on the Diesel Tech Forum. Guys there know more than me. I've owned 3 of these engines but left most of the tough stuff to mechanics.
Regards. And if you come across a diesel 80 there for sale with dual tanks in "Dictator Condition" let me know.
yeah I did post there too !!
:D "Dictator condition" yeah I let you know !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom